Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Remote Server Running  (Read 2764 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Remote Server Running
« on: September 25, 2015, 11:24:23 AM »

Does anyone know of a way to show that a 'Remote Server' is turned on ?  :hmm:

Trying to think of a way to give an indication on the 'Bottom panel' (system tray) on my daughters Linux laptop when my remote backup server is running so if I forget to switch on my server (like I did last night) and her laptop then missed doing it's backup which is started via a 'Cron job' 30 minutes after boot up, but it could be started manually .

I have fixed IP Address's at home.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 11:31:02 AM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: Remote Server Running
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 11:44:59 AM »

Quck & nasty solution:

Can the remote server be 'pinged' ?

Put a ping in you cron job and use its failure to display a 'Failure Message' (This is the bit that need to be turned into the 'System Tray Icon')

The cron job could loop once per hour (or so) to retry until the Backup Server is running.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 01:41:17 PM »

Quck & nasty solution:

Can the remote server be 'pinged' ?

Put a ping in you cron job and use its failure to display a 'Failure Message' (This is the bit that need to be turned into the 'System Tray Icon')

The cron job could loop once per hour (or so) to retry until the Backup Server is running.
Ok I can have a look at that.

I think I have 'pings' are disabled, I will have a look at my 'smoothwall' firewall ,  if I could set it to accept pings from her laptop only .
I did not know 'Cron' could be set in a loop.
Spend more time tonight, tile grouting at the moment  ;).
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 05:46:32 PM »

Your Cron job can call a script which can do anything you can write !!!
(I am assuming that crontab on Linux is the same as in Unixes of old and can support repeating jobs which the full syntax supports)
Syntax I know is as per http://www.adminschoice.com/tag/crontab-syntax

You can get the original Cron job to fire off a new job that runs every 60 mins which will kill itself if it completes.

or

You can write a script that loops and does the same thing.

See following for examples of cron jobs, to give you some ideas.
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/06/15-practical-crontab-examples/
Check Man for Crontab as well.