Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Why am I interleaved?  (Read 1733 times)

JamesK

• Reg Member
Why am I interleaved?
« on: September 24, 2015, 12:19:32 PM »

Hi,

Would someone take a look at my line stats on MDWS and help me understand why my line is interleaved?

I'm connected to an ECI cab. Up until July I'd been using an ECI modem as it always gave a much better sync. However, I swapped it back for the HG612 in July to find that with the latest firmware the HG612 now gives a better sync rate. As a result I started monitoring the line again.
The ES levels seem to be low, and I thought that was what DLM used to calculate if intervention was required. However, the FEC level seems to be quite spiky.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers...
Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: Why am I interleaved?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 12:42:09 PM »

For just  errors it is believed that the DLM only cares about ES and SES.  The MDWS traffic lights imply that you might need less than 144 or 288 per day to go fast path but last time I looked at actual interleaved to fast path transitions on MDWS  it looked as though the daily ES needed to be much lower and perhaps to be as low as 24 to give interleaving. whether it is 24 or another number would also depend on the isp and I am not sure re BT. You have odd peaks at 57/day and that does seem too big.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:34:09 PM by les-70 »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 09:44:15 PM »

You could do some manual line capping on the HG612 IE: lower the sync until you see  =< 24 ES per day for few weeks or a month.

the only quick way is to arrange an Openreach Engineer to visit your premises and hopefully he/she will do a line reset even if no fault is found  :-\

But be aware if you do get rid of interleaving and put onto fastpath the errored seconds will increase dramatically to say 1500 per day.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 09:50:57 PM by NewtronStar »

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 11:59:53 AM »

Thanks for the advice on this. There's probably not much more I can do in my house to improve the connection. I gained a 10mb increase in speed last year by relocating the modem to the master socket nearest to where the phone line enters the house, and disconnecting all other extensions and wiring.

I'd hoped my stats would've been good enough now to go back on fastpath after two years of the internal telephone wiring causing such a large speed loss, and hence DLM intervention. I thought perhaps that DLM had got stuck, as I'd read that can happen.

I'd be hesitant to raise a fault with BT on this, as in all likelihood they'll say there isn't one, and in fairness they're probably right!

Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U

anything