Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Critical Error message.  (Read 3264 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Critical Error message.
« on: September 23, 2015, 06:51:33 PM »

I turned on my W10 today and got faced with a warning message on windows, saying;

"Critical Error - Start Menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll fix it next time you sign in"

There is a sign out now button in the message too. This however doesn't fix the problem.

I'm trying to figure out how to fix this. It seems to be a happening to a lot of people using W10. There are lots of youtube videos on fixing it too. Apparently my girlfriend gets this issue every other day too.

PS: I just fixed it by following the first step of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUJ0jhsYf10

Any ideas as to why this error occurs?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: Critical Error message.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 10:44:56 AM »

It is looking like you will not get an answer :(
It does appear that MS are regularly breaking/fixing things as they rollout updates.
This is why I call win10 beta software.
The price of 'Free' is exactly what you are experiencing. :)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 10:05:27 PM »

It does appear that MS are regularly breaking/fixing things as they rollout updates.

Your right about that!

It feels like its been pushed out when it should still be in beta. I've had issues and they usually disappear. But I never heard of the explanation of why they happened.

Like this problem I had.. I had to reboot using admin level in safe mode.. then reboot in admin, removing the safe mode tick box, and it 'fixed it'. I don't know how or why that fixed it but there ya go lol.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 01:36:16 AM »

Your right about that!

It feels like its been pushed out when it should still be in beta. I've had issues and they usually disappear. But I never heard of the explanation of why they happened.

Like this problem I had.. I had to reboot using admin level in safe mode.. then reboot in admin, removing the safe mode tick box, and it 'fixed it'. I don't know how or why that fixed it but there ya go lol.
Probably something needed to run without permissions getting in the way.
This is usually something quite low-level that relates to drivers and/or security processes that you cannot change in full running mode.
That is what I mean by breaking/fixing, low level 'hackery' in the guts of Win10 !!  ;D :D