Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Time to delete AVG free....  (Read 3622 times)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
Time to delete AVG free....
« on: September 22, 2015, 08:01:02 AM »

AVG to flog your web browsing, search history from mid-October
Your secrets sold to advertisers

Changes in the privacy policy of AVG's free antivirus doodad will allow it to collect your web browsing and search history – and sell it to advertisers to bankroll its freemium security software products.

The changes will come into play on 15 October, according to the Czech-based biz in a blog post. The revised privacy policy can be found here, with the key paragraph extracted below:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/21/avg_freemium_browsing_history_slurp/
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: Time to delete AVG free....
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 10:32:05 AM »

Thanks, I saw this and then forgot about it.
I don't use AVG but very bad form from them  >:(

Back to my 'monitising' your customers issues again  ;D 

I think this is the start of a change in the industry as more & more companies see what they can get away with (aka: follow what the 'Big Boys' do!!).

Proves that old adage: Nothing is for free.  :( :(

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 12:14:43 PM »

This has prompted me to ditch W8.1 on my wife's laptop and install Linux. W8.1 had become a problem because it managed to screw itself up and would not install any updates, plus when I followed M$ advice on how to fix it that did not work and they said re-install  >:( I was also fed up with it keep on suggesting W10 which again I did not want.

So Linux it is and working very well, my wife does not really see the difference between W8.1 (not tiled etc) and Linux desktop apart from the start menu being the Fedora f symbol everything she used on Windows is installed on Linux, LibreOffice Firefox Thunderbird and Digikam for photos.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 12:25:28 PM »

@broadstairs

Well done  :yay: :yay: :yay:

MS need to get some kickback for their recent move to the 'Dark Side'.
The more the merrier !!

I still cannot live 100% outside the Windows world ...... I do use less MS stuff than I used to though.  ;D :D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 02:06:12 PM »

My only issue is with one wireless printer (a Canon dyesub) which does not work well in Linux yet, otherwise I have yet to find anything I need that is not available in Linux. I use kdenlive for video editing and GIMP for photo editing as well as all the other stuff on my laptop and my desktop.

Stuart

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 02:26:56 PM »

My only issue is with one wireless printer (a Canon dyesub) which does not work well in Linux yet, otherwise I have yet to find anything I need that is not available in Linux. I use kdenlive for video editing and GIMP for photo editing as well as all the other stuff on my laptop and my desktop.

Stuart

from what ive read canon and linux aren't a good combination, particularly the more exotic models.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 06:01:20 PM »

I know its not for purists but Turboprint which is commercial does a really good job for all the normal Canon (not dyesub though) printers, it also supports a huge range of others.

Stuart