Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: autumn equinox  (Read 3384 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
autumn equinox
« on: September 20, 2015, 12:59:58 AM »

Here we are again the shadows of the sun are getting longer the leaves on the chestnut tree are turning red the winter is on it's way but what a dull wet summer we had lets try and put that behind us.

I think this winter will be a wet & mild one again and watch out for those strong winds, it's kind of strange when you think back five years ago 2010 most of the UK was covered by snow in mid November.

Though I have a feeling we will be back to that cold snap again next year late 2016  :o

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: autumn equinox
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 02:56:38 AM »

Thanks for the long long range Weather forecast  ;D

Don't take this the wrong way but I hope you are as wrong as wrong can be  ........ I hate snow and ice and driving in it.
 :D :D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 09:27:35 PM »

I hate snow and ice and driving in it.

It's easy let the gears slow you down and slight taps on the brake pedal and to drive off use 1st gear you don't even need the accelerator pedal just let the momentum build up then into 2nd gear and your off, once your confident you can start to practice some power sliding with accelerator and brake sliding and once masterd you won't hate snow & ice driving it becomes fun  :)

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 09:50:08 PM »

I hate snow and ice and driving in it.

It's easy let the gears slow you down and slight taps on the brake pedal and to drive off use 1st gear you don't even need the accelerator pedal just let the momentum build up then into 2nd gear and your off, once your confident you can start to practice some power sliding with accelerator and brake sliding and once masterd you won't hate snow & ice driving it becomes fun  :)
My driving is not the problem  :D ;)
I was told by a HGV Driver, someone's Dad,  "Treat the other drivers on the road as if they are idiots and you will be safe."
Driving in snow is the proof of the corrected statement ....."Other drivers on the road are idiots and you will not be safe." :D ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 09:52:08 PM »

I'm a sun lover, so the fact that the days are now getting noticeably shorter and I had to turn my heating on this am for an hour, shows that the few days we had of summer this year are on their way out.   The past few weeks havent been too bad, but there definitely is an autumnal nip in the air.   

I saw a long range forecast about a week ago, (cant recall where now) that reckoned we were in for a harsh winter this year.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 09:55:28 PM »

I saw a long range forecast a week or so ago, (cant recall where now) that reckoned we were in for a harsh winter this year.

It was probably in the Daily Express.
Every year they claim a Winter worthy of the coming of the Ice Age and a Summer when the Tarmac will melt for 8 weeks solid.
One year they will get one right.  :D :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 10:55:13 PM »

Haven't a clue now where I saw it.. sorry.  Some days over the past week or so have been a bit of a blur.   Possibly a newsrag I was reading at the hospital, possibly somewhere else, Im not in the habit of visiting the daily express website unless someone linked to it.  ???
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 10:57:33 PM »

I was thinking more of the newspaper ...... non-electronic wood based media  ...... ask a friend  :D ;)
[Ducks & runs]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 11:06:53 PM »

d'oh.  I did say possibly a newsrag I was reading at the hospital.   In fact that is likely to be the obvious place, as there were a few lying around left by other people. 
-----

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 11:10:57 PM »

d'oh.  I did say possibly a newsrag I was reading at the hospital.   In fact that is likely to be the obvious place, as there were a few lying around left by other people.
Exactly, no one wants to be seen carrying the Daily Express, so they get read and dumped in Hospitals ..... along with the Daily Mail & The Sun.  :D :D

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 01:05:47 AM »

Frost this Wednesday  :o
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 01:10:00 AM »

My own 'vulnerability' is to pick up the paper in the  Indian takeaway, when my dinner's not ready on time.   Sometimes it's the Daily Mail, or The Sun, or one of the others.

I often find it quite riveting... 'wow, I didn't know that was going on'..   And then, the moment I leave the restaurant, I have moved on to new thoughts.

For some reason it's usually two or three days later, my brain's garbage collection algorithms kick in and dredge up some discarded buffers containing the reading of the story.   I then get another 'wow' moment,   'Wow, did I really take that story seriously?'

:)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 11:21:54 PM »

It's not so bad this years autumn will produce a nice slow change of leaf colour changes on trees because the spring was so late this year due to cold temperatures, and what i have noticed even the sparrows were 3 weeks late to migrate back to south africa.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 11:28:47 PM »

. . . even the sparrows were 3 weeks late to migrate back to south africa.

Sparrows?  ???

Perhaps swallows?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 12:30:42 AM »

It's certainly turned more chilly here recently, I've had the heater on in my shed most evenings I've been there.

Long range forecasts are incredibly difficult to predict, which is why the Met office tends to avoid them.  But, as noticed, it doesn't stop some of the tabloids publishing scare stories about how bitterly cold or dreadfully hot or flooded beyond Noah it will be this season.

A while back, I read an interesting look into the "forecasters" that some tabloids use.  Turned out to be a one man operation in his shed (not me! and giving sheds a bad name!) who would make wild stab-in-the-dark forecasts that just happened to match what the tabloids wanted to hear.  And they could then print them, with the headline "forecasters say that this winter, millions of pensioners will die..." etc.

On a related note, the NHS MRSA scandal a few years back.... although there was (still is, I think) an underlying problem, the hysterical stories of "killer mop" "analysed by scientists" found to be full of deadly bacteria...  samples such as these, taken by tabloids, were sent to a one man operation in a shed who produced results that the tabloids wanted to hear.  Decent lab-based tests produced no such results.

Bit of a rant there.

Yes, it's turning cold  ;D

Ian
Pages: [1] 2

anything