Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Possible G.inp behavior or not?  (Read 1524 times)

tommy45

• Reg Member
Possible G.inp behavior or not?
« on: September 18, 2015, 12:46:28 PM »

Having had G.inp enabled on my connection for several months now, at first was asymmetrical (DS/US) later it was removed from the upstream by due to the changes made to DLM profiles by OR

I have noticed some  odd behaviour over the past months with the SNR levels And bit-swapping also, one example my start off following a re sync at say 7.4db but then of the coarse of several days it will sometimes slowly decease usually in 0.1 db steps  some times several steps per day,it has on occasions reduced more quickly (several.1db's in one go) then after a short time it increases again or partly increases it has never fallen lower than 6db, It has always increased back to the 7.4db or a little higher and then rinse and repeat

This does seem to have some impact on the error rate, lower spare SNR = more errors I have also observed a strange occurrence  a short time prior to an upward change in SNR with the bit swapping it will almost cease for a short time , sometimes this appears to happen simultaneously with an odd sudden increase/decrease in the SNR

Why would it do this ?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Possible G.inp behavior or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 04:14:58 PM »

Something similar to this happens on my connection sometimes. It seems to be simply that the noise spectrum shifts over time maybe due to weather or the time of day, sunset /sunrise, or crosstalk patterns shifting as other users' behaviour changes. Who knows.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 06:46:33 PM »

but then of the coarse of several days it will sometimes slowly decease usually in 0.1 db steps  some times several steps per day

I think this can occur on several lines.  My own line is rock steady, yet when I've beta tested some routers I note that they can do the slow decrease.  Its usually something to do with bit-swap and how the router handles it.  One router I was beta testing for TPLink definitely had this issue and I reported it to TPlink who agreed and changed something in the f/w re bitswap.   

Regardless if it is the router or not, then if there's been a lot of bit-swapping going on, then all routers will mark certain tones as unavailable... and this can have an overall effect on the SNRm.  It should recover if you do a resync which is when a new BAT table is allocated.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 07:41:15 PM »

but then of the coarse of several days it will sometimes slowly decease usually in 0.1 db steps  some times several steps per day

I think this can occur on several lines.  My own line is rock steady, yet when I've beta tested some routers I note that they can do the slow decrease.  Its usually something to do with bit-swap and how the router handles it.  One router I was beta testing for TPLink definitely had this issue and I reported it to TPlink who agreed and changed something in the f/w re bitswap.   

Regardless if it is the router or not, then if there's been a lot of bit-swapping going on, then all routers will mark certain tones as unavailable... and this can have an overall effect on the SNRm.  It should recover if you do a resync which is when a new BAT table is allocated.
Oddly it makes no difference if i re sync,It has so far recovered by itself in the past, but seems to take longer than it did previously , but in the past those type of spikes in the SNR levels and corresponding increases in attainable rates have happened prior to the SNR recovering, it has i think on one occasion where the spike was more in the downwards direction prior to the snr dipping lower ,iirc it didn't do this when i was on fastpath, only since G.inp was rolled out

I'm toying with the idea of buying a billion 8800 series , but i may wait for them to release the  8900, as i think the 8800nl is lacking in GB ports and the AXL is over priced , I see that with the 8900 they have gone back to the same shape as the 7800 and earlier series ,
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 07:52:19 PM by tommy45 »

anything