Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: according to betanews win10 pro can be set to notify only for updates  (Read 2885 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

Windows 10 Pro users also have another option, and that’s to use the Group Policy Editor (this isn’t available in Windows 10 Home, but is included in the Professional, Enterprise, and Education editions). Hit Windows + R and type 'gpedit.msc' into the Run box. Hit enter. Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.

Double-click on 'Configure automatic updates'. In the window that options, select 'Enabled'. Use the drop down box below to change the setting from 'Auto download and notify for install' to 'Notify for download and notify for install'. Apply and OK the change.

http://betanews.com/2015/08/11/how-to-delay-andor-block-automatic-software-updates-in-windows-10/

Going to boot it up now to try it as very curious.  Will disconnect LAN so I can do this before any updates get pushed to verify it works.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: according to betanews win10 pro can be set to notify only for updates
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 07:35:18 PM »

I would be very surprised if this *works* or *continues to work*.
The non-blockability of updates is a major feature of win10, it is what MS want to impose to dramatically cut down on the problems 'un-updated' PC's cause on the internet & to MS.

This is exactly the part which was 'borked' when Win10 restored a Win 8.1 setup on my sister's PC.
The setting could be listed and changed via the Policy Editor but it was ignored and forced 'Auto Updates' to be the only working option.
Fixed by restoring to Factory Original setup and doing an 'In-Place' update of Win 8 to Win 8.1.
Attempting to update from a Win 8.1 disc failed as the embedded License was not recognized as valid (Original OS was Win 8 and the Key matched).

Best of Luck.  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 02:43:14 AM »

well test was a bit of a bore, is no updates waiting even tho its been used as a FreeBSD machine for over a week. :(  So need to wait.

I can say tho I think you are right, because the settings update page has a big message telling me updates are set to download automatic.  Its probably an old page that microsoft forgot to remove in the policy editor.

--update-- seems it has worked that message has changed, will attach screenie.

So now I think if this is combined with that tool microsoft released to block updates it may have reasonable control over the updates.  Depending on if the check for updates button only checks instead of also downloading and installing.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 02:50:09 AM by Chrysalis »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 02:40:23 AM »

some more screenshots, so combined with that hide updates tool, I can make it behave like my win7 rig now.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 10:30:18 AM »

I will try this on a virtual win10 and see how it goes.
Very interesting.
I wonder if MS will 'fight' back ?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 01:24:41 PM »

did you try it then? :)

anything