Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DSL-N66U - Anyone have a stable openreach VDSL2 connection with one?  (Read 17666 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: DSL-N66U - Anyone have a stable openreach VDSL2 connection with one?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 01:51:24 AM »

The spectrum problem, at least on the DSL-AC68U, doesn't cause trickling CRC's like you've got. The spectrum problem caused spikes and eventual loss of sync unless the connection was interleaved to some degree. That might be why you've noticed no difference.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 01:10:15 PM »

Its entirely possible that differing types of noise and noise correction can have different effects.   Their are different types of noise and different types of error correction to handle each.   For example TCM (Trellis) is effective for background noise yet useless for REIN/SHINE.   RS Encoding is better at handling REIN but cant cope with SHINE.  However RS carries a lot of overheads so isnt efficient unless you have that type of noise.  (INP &) G.INP is far more efficient, but Im not sure if its any better at coping with SHINE or by how much.   Its why in some cases you have to use all algorithms in tandem.

As for spectral, Im not sure entirely what that is all about and how it works - afaik its something to do with the equipment learning which tones are noisy and taking them out of use.  The idea behind this is (same as why some dslams block ham tones or RF filters) by taking the tones completely out of use, then it stops noise spread to neighbouring tones and large noise bursts perhaps taking a line out completely.. or at least stabilising the line because it will be recording less CRCs E/Secs.   Therefore by switching off spectrum Ive no idea why it should make things better..  in fact I didnt know that domestic routers had that capability.   Perhaps ASUS are dabbling with it.   Has anyone asked what 'spectrum' is actually doing.   
Bitswap supposedly takes out particularly noisy tones anyhow until next resync, is that how it 'learns'? ..  or have I completely misunderstood what ASUS are trying to do.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 01:32:47 PM »

I maybe wrong but I was under the assumption it was just to provide the tone spectrum graphs in the GUI.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 01:36:14 PM by simoncraddock »
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 01:46:00 PM »

I maybe wrong but I was under the assumption it was just to provide the tone spectrum graphs in the GUI.

So was I. I'm presuming it's querying the modem too often for SNRM and bitloading - and so is causing instability while running. 

tomcat

• Just arrived
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 05:28:05 PM »

Sorry to bring that post back...but it looks like Asus has released a few firmware releases lately and i was wondering how the modem/router is behaving with BT infinity?

It seems like it has a reasonable price and quite a few features.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything