Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fibre and Homeplugs  (Read 9822 times)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Fibre and Homeplugs
« on: September 17, 2015, 12:04:53 AM »

Bought some new Tp Link homeplugs the other day and got to install them. All seemed good on the stats no problems however earlier I updated both ipads using the WiFi access point connected to the homeplug network.

The results were quite disastrous throughout the day! Removed the rogue new one and all is now hopefully back to normal!
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

mcfluffy

Re: Fibre and Homeplugs
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 09:42:43 AM »

I used to have a homeplug network in my old house. I know they say you shouldn't use them on separate ring circuits but I didn't have much choice, so I wasn't hopeful it'd be any good but I was surprised to find they connected well and I'd get around 60mbps speed.

But, over time (about a year) they degraded in connection speed and quality to the point where they barely worked. Nothing really changed with the electricity usage in the house either and the homeplugs seemed to connect find if they were close together so I never did get to the bottom of why they worked really well to begin with but slowly degraded to the point of uselessness.

They were D-Link's homeplugs, I've always found D-Link tend to make good hardware (maybe I'm wrong about that though, I must admit I haven't used much of their stuff over the years but what I have used still works fine, except for these plugs which I've since thrown away).

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 02:46:07 PM »

Last time I tried homeplugs, My connection deteriorated by 35Mb in the space of two days. As soon as they were removed, Improvements came back and got back to normal after a week.

The ones I tried were the Solwise 1200AV models. Never tried any more since as I don't want to upset DLM using them.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 01:14:13 AM »

But when you think about it, it's a device designed to cause mains interface and lots of it. What a supremely bad idea, what could possibly go wrong. Shudders. :o

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 09:33:10 AM »

Very true.
I get better reliability out of my Asus wireless AC card so stuck with that.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 05:28:49 PM »

What a supremely bad idea, what could possibly go wrong. Shudders. :o

When I first read about such devices, way back when, my first thought was "Is it April the first?" and my second thought was "This is borderline lunacy".  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 05:47:27 PM »

Have set of TP-Link AV's they were supposed to be put into are recycle bin but thought some day in the future they won't screw up the stats.

I'll stick one in the power socket at 8pm this evening for 10 minutes :scare: and watch the stats and if anyone is interested they can view it on MDWS in realtime  ;)

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 06:27:16 PM »

Putting on my 'Canute' head  ;D:

I have used them and they have been useful in certain circumstances.
I have not observed any of the problems listed but appreciate the general consensus is a negative one.
They can be useful so I have not thrown them away.
[Tin hat on mode]

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 08:46:50 PM »

Homeplug installed at 8pm you will notice the FEC counts have increased and those errors are now at a constant 3500 + fec per min, it's difficult to compare this line which had problems with homeplugs when using the old interleaved profile you would have seen upto 250,000 + fec's per min.

Now this line has G.INP enabled the FEC count seems to be very much lower when using homeplugs this has surprised me  :o
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 08:56:02 PM by NewtronStar »

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 08:57:06 PM »

Still, it shows what they do.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 09:06:35 PM »

Still, it shows what they do.

Indeed it's now been removed from the power socket  :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 09:16:27 PM by NewtronStar »

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 09:11:55 PM »

I knew they caused noise but that just shows how much. I've seen first hand what they done to my connection but thought I would try them as a friend swore by them. At least I tried and found out first hand, I tend to try things anyway to see for myself no matter how good or bad feedback is.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 09:50:30 PM »

I'd love to see FEC counts as low as that shown during your test and I dont have homeplugs installed. See broadstair on MDWS.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 09:53:22 PM »

Homeplug installed at 8pm you will notice the FEC counts have increased and those errors are now at a constant 3500 + fec per min, it's difficult to compare this line which had problems with homeplugs when using the old interleaved profile you would have seen upto 250,000 + fec's per min.

Now this line has G.INP enabled the FEC count seems to be very much lower when using homeplugs this has surprised me  :o

Just a quick request for clarification of the experiment, please.

Did you install just one or a pair of Homeplugs? If a pair, were you passing data over the link?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 11:16:55 PM »

Just a quick request for clarification of the experiment, please.

Did you install just one or a pair of Homeplugs? If a pair, were you passing data over the link?  :-\

Just intalled one of the pairs with a cat5 from router to it, but i don't need to that because as soon as one homeplug device is inserted into the mains things start to happen.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything