Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: what do you do when ISP says 2Mb/s is acceptable on FTTC (80Mb/s)  (Read 8678 times)

JackDinn

Re: what do you do when ISP says 2Mb/s is acceptable on FTTC (80Mb/s)
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 05:35:14 PM »

yea prob right, but even after contract ends its impossible to figure who you should go with and its not until after you join that you find out what you have. just how its always been. Even if i had bags of money i still would not know how to get a decent service , o well :(

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 07:36:15 PM »

I had ADSL2 annex m (Be wholesale) for a brief period through another reseller who used Entanet to provide services, Very jittery and  latency increases during office hours, Basically it was crap, certainly not value for money, Aquiss  has a good reputation, they also charge a premium price for FTTC, if it where me if they refused to sort it out, or refused to release me from the remainder of the contract penalty free, i would be seeking help from their ADR ,

What i would do is run the BTW performance tester when your throughput is being crippled and run the second bit giving the IP profile, then it should offer a third test Tap3 , you have to change the user name and set the DNS servers to obtain automatically in your router  then run the TAP3 speedtest, and take a screen shot of the results , this may if the result in normal rule out the BTW network , and be proof that entanet are throttling the life out of your connection , 2mbps is ridiculous, especially if your paying £37.00 per month for the privilege,dick turpin had the decency to wear a mask when he robbed you  :o

As for who would be the best ISP a lot would depend how well BTW performs in your area,to some degree, as some areas have regular congestion issues that are sometimes not serious (throughput over 40mbps) on a 80/20 service syncing at the full rates, but are still a serious enough issue for those who experience them, your alternatives are  SKY and TT have their llu kit in your exchange , though i wouldn't go with TT consumer,  the buisness is said to be ok, and they wholesale it so it is sold be smaller isp's  Sky doesn't do a business grade product,
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 07:44:49 PM by tommy45 »

JackDinn

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 08:19:39 PM »

i have tried many many times to provide the TAP3 tests for aquiss but its always fails for me , it will not connect to the BT tap3 server after i change the radius login details . Iv tried about 20 times in the last few months and thats if i can even get to the tap3 test part as today’s tests were erroring even before that option was presented

I have been thought so many ISP's i cant even remember them all , i spent ages researching and ended up with a choice between aquiss and AAISP , i went with aquiss.

It just seems you can say money is no object but still you'll be lucky to get a decent service.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 08:23:55 PM by JackDinn »

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 08:43:01 PM »

Did you set the router to obtain DNS servers automatically as well as changing the User name to the BT one? as it won't resolve the TAP3 server otherwise , as it's a walled garden test,

JackDinn

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 08:45:58 PM »

Did you set the router to obtain DNS servers automatically as well as changing the User name to the BT one? as it won't resolve the TAP3 server otherwise , as it's a walled garden test,

yep and yep , this was the response from aquiss re the failing tap3 tests
The TAP3 does not work for everyone, BT say they are improving it, but it's not quite there yet.

Kind Regards,

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2015, 08:51:15 PM »

A suggestion. Call A&A, explain the precise situation and ask if they would be able to help you.

I can't remember exactly who it was (who did just that, a few months ago) but the end result was successful. I believe it was someone who posted their tale of woe on the Thinkbroadband forum . . .
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 08:54:53 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2015, 08:58:12 PM »

Thanks to Burakkucat, saves me from having to be a cracked record yet again. :-) :-)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2015, 09:03:43 PM »

Although I am prone to have the odd quick nap, now and again, I can always tell which saucer contains the best cream!  ;)

JackDinn

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2015, 09:06:15 PM »

A suggestion. Call A&A, explain the precise situation and ask if they would be able to help you.

I can't remember exactly who it was (who did just that, a few months ago) but the end result was successful. I believe it was someone who posted their tale of woe on the Thinkbroadband forum . . .

well that could be a decent option , cheers i shall have a ponder on it :D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2015, 09:14:09 PM »

Just to clarify, the person involved (whose identity I have forgotten) was not a customer of A&A but they were prepared to assist him obtain a satisfactory result. In due course the not-a-customer then became an A&A customer . . .

JackDinn

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2015, 09:23:08 PM »

Just to clarify, the person involved (whose identity I have forgotten) was not a customer of A&A but they were prepared to assist him obtain a satisfactory result. In due course the not-a-customer then became an A&A customer . . .

Yea it does sound good, so my research was good the (well with regards to A&AISP ) they are very good? but then again my research also came up with aquiss :-/

p.s. while taking a look around kitz today i just noticed Kitz actually officially link my software http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/speedtesters.htm , that made me smile  :cool:

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2015, 09:31:17 PM »

I agree with Burakkucat, I remember that incident where a non-customer got help. AA used to offer a scheme where they would fix your line or your money back, it may still be going.

JackDinn

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2015, 09:33:07 PM »

I agree with Burakkucat, I remember that incident where a non-customer got help. AA used to offer a scheme where they would fix your line or your money back, it may still be going.
Yea but its getting out of your contract thats the hurdle , did A&A help with that part ?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2015, 09:40:37 PM »

In general, getting out of a contract is a matter of taking a financial hit. Is that correct?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2015, 09:42:57 PM »

AA used to offer a scheme where they would fix your line or your money back, it may still be going.

That offer is still valid. (I've just checked the A&A site.) They claim that, to date, they have never yet needed to give any money back.

Yea but its getting out of your contract thats the hurdle , did A&A help with that part ?

I don't know of the precise details -- not being actively involved -- but that could be something you ask.  ;)

Pages: 1 [2] 3