Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: what do you do when ISP says 2Mb/s is acceptable on FTTC (80Mb/s)  (Read 8679 times)

JackDinn

Hi,

I have spent a major portion of my life trying to deal with bad service , i even spend several years building software to try and help called JDast but when you contact your ISP because your only getting 2Mb/s on a 80Mb/s service and they respond with "well your on a non-priority service so it does not matter what your speeds are during the day" i just hang my head im exasperation !!

What / how do you respond to that ? How do you proceed ?

Yea maybe fine if its just a one off kinda thing but its every day , even the BTw tester says anything below 40Mb/s is unacceptable (for me) and should be investigated by your ISP.

Im at the point where i just cant deal with this crap any more , whats the point in logging speeds of the day/week/month , whats the point in doing BTw tests, just what is the point?

Frustrated me,
Cheers all.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: what do you do when ISP says 2Mb/s is acceptable on FTTC (80Mb/s)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 03:45:41 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.

At the moment, you have not given us any real information.  :no: 

Who is your ISP/CP? With what product are you provided? Are you within a minimum contract period? What modem (or combined modem/router) are you using? Are you able to obtain comprehensive line statistics for your circuit? Etc, etc.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 03:48:44 PM »

Yeah, as above ^^^^^ and welcome to Kitz.

Have you a rough idea how far from the VDSL Cab you are ??, are you using an Ethernet lead to speedtest ?? Plus, I never use the BTw checker that they ask you to use, it's appallingly false. I would use 'Speedtest.net (OOKLA). 

JackDinn

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 04:08:27 PM »

it was really a general question but you can have my info.

provider :- Aquiss (enta)
package home FTTC (80/20)
i said id never take a contact again but when FTTC come  to my village i decided i would take a years contract (no choice for FTTC that i could find anywhere), I have about 6-7 months left on that.
Modem/router is a TP-LINK TD-W9980 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL2/ADSL2+
there is nothing wrong with my line i get very pronounced drops in speed from 9:00am to 6:00pm (approx) during week days but rest of the time i got full profile speed.
profile is 69Mb/s / 19Mb/s
sync 70/20 (max 78/20)
SNR Margin (dB)   up 6   down 4.8
Line Attenuation (dB)   up 10.9   down 11.4
Errors (Pkts)   up 0   down 0

I do have the BT VDSL modem and another router that i have checked with but it makes no difference.

Its contention i suspect , SP does not have enough BW.

JackDinn

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 04:12:44 PM »

Yeah, as above ^^^^^ and welcome to Kitz.

Have you a rough idea how far from the VDSL Cab you are ??, are you using an Ethernet lead to speedtest ?? Plus, I never use the BTw checker that they ask you to use, it's appallingly false. I would use 'Speedtest.net (OOKLA).

I use my own software mainly but others to double check and of course the SP wont accept anything other than BTw tests :-/

Im 300 meters from DP (distribution point).

Yea i use  Ethernet to test

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 04:13:47 PM »

Contention ??? 69Meg possible to just 2Meg actual ??? I would think there's more at play than just bandwidth issues, if not ..... that is damned ludicrous, and I would be shouting it at the very highest of levels !!

JackDinn

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 04:17:18 PM »

Contention ??? 69Meg possible to just 2Meg actual ??? I would think there's more at play than just bandwidth issues, if not ..... that is damned ludicrous, and I would be shouting it at the very highest of levels !!

I would too but you cant deny the fact that weekends and evenings is 100% fine , it rapidly drops off in the morning and comes back up at 6pm ish.

I have not been logging recently because i just feel there is no point it makes no difference to my ISP and anyhow i dont think they even look at the graphs. However i did offer to start logging for them today and they said
You can certainly log speed results, however, only those after 6.00pm will be classed as being within your priority window. These need to be record via the official BT speedtester.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 04:25:40 PM »

Have you considered REIN as a contributory factor ???

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 04:26:31 PM »

Whoops ..... sorry ..... here's the link ...... http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm

JackDinn

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 04:35:28 PM »

Whoops ..... sorry ..... here's the link ...... http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm

well it has crossed my mind but id say pretty unlikely looking at the pattern (i know you'll say well a pattern might show it IS rein) but its a far shot i think.

This was sent to Aquiss, they never did anything, no investigation , no suggestions or advice , you can see why i just dont bother logging any more.

even if it was a local problem they should be helping not just saying
only those after 6.00pm will be classed as being within your priority window

http://i.imgur.com/m0Zwjuv.png
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 04:45:55 PM by JackDinn »

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 04:47:54 PM »

Seems to be the norm with many entanet resellers from what I can make out on other forums.

Basically it looks like they have enough bandwidth for business OR home users but not both so business gets the bandwidth in the day & vice versa at night.

You presumably signed up knowing that business got daytime priority? If so then what figures were quoted as "acceptable speeds"?

Not really that strange for people wondering  - AAISP used to be in much the same situation but as traffic shaping is anathema to the good rev they just charged more for daytime usage & spent that on more bandwidth.

JackDinn

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 04:53:37 PM »

Seems to be the norm with many entanet resellers from what I can make out on other forums.

Basically it looks like they have enough bandwidth for business OR home users but not both so business gets the bandwidth in the day & vice versa at night.

You presumably signed up knowing that business got daytime priority? If so then what figures were quoted as "acceptable speeds"?

Not really that strange for people wondering  - AAISP used to be in much the same situation but as traffic shaping is anathema to the good rev they just charged more for daytime usage & spent that on more bandwidth.

well i did make a bit of a no-no when i signed up, i was so excited to finally be getting fttc that i just assumed nothing could possibly be worse that adsl and surly an 80Mb/s service could NEVER drop below "ridiculous" levels. i was hasty and broke my own rule about never signing up for contracts. I shall go and take a look at their T&C's and see if they even have an acceptable minimum speed for home users. 

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 05:09:28 PM »

The fact you're being told that you are on a "non-priority service" suggests to me that there is something in the T&Cs which basically says "you get it at this price because we don't expect you to use it during defined business hours".

Personally I wouldn't touch a reseller with the longest bargepole imaginable but that's just me :D

JackDinn

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 05:13:21 PM »

indeed, but there must be an absolute minimum of some industry or watchdog or offcom sort , you cant sell a 80Mb/s service and provide 2Mb/s , if you can then im in the wrong job !

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 05:31:35 PM »

You can if you sell it that way and its made clear that it's "best-efforts" during your "non-priority" time.

If the service was sold for "Home Use" or similar & the signup made clear how the priorities worked then I think you'd struggle to prove anything as the evening/weekend speeds show the service is fine for the "average" home user. Its normally the other way around for home users TBH.

Sorry but I reckon you probably just bought the wrong service :(

You could try taking it up with Entanet, see if they can help get you moved to another reseller/service but from what you've said I reckon you're stuck with the 12 month contract....

Edit - ultimately its entanet who have you in a 12 month contract, but not directly. As long as they get their money they don't much care which reseller you're with, so they might be able to move you to a more suitable reseller with zero downtime & cost to Acquiss. Worth a try. Edit 2 - do bear in mind that another reseller might have slow speeds at residential peak times and fast during business...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 05:40:18 PM by rizla »
Pages: [1] 2 3