Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why am I not surprised !  (Read 6424 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Why am I not surprised !
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 01:14:20 PM »

has maid things a hole lot worse.

:lol: ;)

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 01:29:59 PM »

Very apt ;D
  Eric

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 01:34:36 PM »

That's the kind of help Microsoft Word is giving her, as she churns out CVs and covering letters containing that kind of stuff.

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2015, 02:51:43 PM »

Anyone who relies on primary schools in England to teach their kids basic literacy and numeracy is either hopelessly naive or very stupid. If you don't teach them how to read/write/times tables yourself then they will rapidly find themselves 2-3 years behind their European peers.

While I'm sure there are some decent primary school teachers, I have yet to meet one. Most of the teachers our kids had in primary school (2000-2009) couldn't spell themselves and in terms of maths - well all I can assume is that its optional in primary teacher training because I'd class several of them as functionally innumerate. Oh and this was in a school classed as above average in Ofsted reports in a fairly wealthy area.

The standard in secondary schools is much better but by the time the kids have been subjected to 7 years of English primary education most of them require remedial classes to bring them anywhere close to where they should be for their age group. This has a serious knock-on effect on English universities, especially in engineering courses as 3 years is considered inadequate by most countries for engineering competence - and that's assuming the undergrads can actually do the required maths in year 1, which most can't. Hence you end up with extremely poor engineering graduates who are typically unable to undertake the work required of them by employers for anything up to 2 years after graduation.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 02:54:37 PM by rizla »

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2015, 06:24:30 PM »

Anyone who relies on primary schools in England to teach their kids basic literacy and numeracy is either hopelessly naive or very stupid. If you don't teach them how to read/write/times tables yourself then they will rapidly find themselves 2-3 years behind their European peers.
Agree .... no counter argument possible.

While I'm sure there are some decent primary school teachers, I have yet to meet one. Most of the teachers our kids had in primary school (2000-2009) couldn't spell themselves and in terms of maths - well all I can assume is that its optional in primary teacher training because I'd class several of them as functionally innumerate. Oh and this was in a school classed as above average in Ofsted reports in a fairly wealthy area.
Agree to a point: Yet again the problem is Teachers being forced to follow curricula that are more to do with fashion than real educational merit.
Personally, I was at least 1 year ahead of the level that was being taught at Secondary School.
The problem was the Secondary School forced anyone who was ahead to basically 'tread water' while the rest of the year caught up.
Secondary School was not a pleasant experience for me, as my enthusiasm was killed off by that 1st year.
Never really recovered.

The standard in secondary schools is much better but by the time the kids have been subjected to 7 years of English primary education most of them require remedial classes to bring them anywhere close to where they should be for their age group. This has a serious knock-on effect on English universities, especially in engineering courses as 3 years is considered inadequate by most countries for engineering competence - and that's assuming the undergrads can actually do the required maths in year 1, which most can't. Hence you end up with extremely poor engineering graduates who are typically unable to undertake the work required of them by employers for anything up to 2 years after graduation.
Fair point and a problem across many subject areas.
This was not always the case, when I and my Sister went to Secondary School the standard of the pupils was much higher than the standard I see today.
The knowledge obtained covered a wider area and covered basic skills in using your knowledge better.
[This was in a pre-Internet age where what you knew counted more]
Current pupils are asked to cover too many subjects, which by necessity reduces the depth covered.
Although they appear to cover many more subjects, basic problem solving skills appear to be worse.
The graduates produced when these pupils go into further education seem to be less capable that many graduates of old.
Maybe they are being stretched too far, too early and expectations are now being set unfairly but I can only comment on what I have experienced working with *some* new graduates.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 06:44:19 PM »

Absolutely IMO, should the 3R's be taught as a fundamental skill. This generation particularly, but also the one before, are seriously lacking in these areas.  :no:

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2015, 07:03:13 PM »

Absolutely IMO, should the 3R's be taught as a fundamental skill. This generation particularly, but also the one before, are seriously lacking in these areas.  :no:
I know WHO you are !!! ....... obvious.

On the basis of your comments about Two generations, I can only surmise that you have 'Two hearts' and 'Gallifrey' means something to you.
[Explains the longevity!!  ;D]

BTW: Very clever/convenient that you work for BT as the 'Blue Police Phone Box' can be more easily explained away as a memento of the GPO of old.  :D :D

or

Maybe I misunderstood.  ;D ::)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2015, 07:12:17 PM »

Ha ha ...... I'm many things to many people, but I am not a General Practitioner.  ;)

A generation is assumed to be 20-25yrs as far as I'm aware ...... so it doesn't make me that old !!  ;D ;D

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2015, 07:24:02 PM »

Ooops!

Slight miscalculation on the generation front then  :D :D ;)

Don't worry I was NOT implying you were old.

I am older than I look and less than I feel.  ;D
[Dorian loaned me an 'interesting' picture, some time ago]  ::)

Age only matters to other people, not to me.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2015, 08:08:53 PM »

'Tis but a number.

I think it's widely recognised that although the body matures and begins to slowly break down, one is still only 18 up in one's napper !!  ;D ;D I know I am.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2015, 08:28:33 PM »

'Tis but a number.

I think it's widely recognised that although the body matures and begins to slowly break down, one is still only 18 up in one's napper !!  ;D ;D I know I am.
It gets worse as you descend: time you're half way to the tootsies. I'll leave it there. :-X :o ;)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2015, 10:19:22 PM »

I keep telling people I'm 44 but I omit to tell them I count in hexadecimal  ;) ;) Used to play darts at work and count in hex as well, that confuses the hell out of poeple in the pub when you say you need double 10 :)

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2015, 12:42:19 AM »

I keep telling people I'm 44 but I omit to tell them I count in hexadecimal  ;) ;) Used to play darts at work and count in hex as well, that confuses the hell out of poeple in the pub when you say you need double 10 :)

Stuart

And as I'm sure you'll know,  and will have heard countless (in any base) times before, there are only 10 types of people in the world?

Punch line left to the imagination, but easily found on google for anybody who's not heard it.   As if.  :)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything