Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gaming Lag  (Read 5081 times)

majnu

Gaming Lag
« on: September 14, 2015, 10:56:39 PM »

I game using a PC and use the onboard NIC (Intel 82579V) Driver date 20/3/15
My ISP is Plusnet and I am on the Unlimited 80/20 package. I called them up today and they said that they could see no fault with my line, which DSL stats confirmed anyway. They also suggested I disable unplug and play but that made no difference to the lag I am experiencing.

In Battlefield recently I have been getting lots of lag, players bullet sponge and see players teleporting around. Is there anything I should look out for in DSL Stats whilst gaming that can pin point what is causing the problem?

My Network H/W is:

- hp procurve 1810g-24 j9450a (24 port switch)
- 24 Port Gigaband Cat 6 High Density Patch Panel
- Asus RT AC66U router, Huwaei modem
-Cat 6 shielded cabling

A mate told me to run tracert to the BF3 server I play on it checked out ok, 8 hops at 13ms which was the highest.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 10:59:32 PM by majnu »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Gaming Lag
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 12:05:03 AM »

Let's get some numbers. Could you visit
    http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest
And do a speed test, do some screen shot captures afterwards, also hit the results button and capture that screen too.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 12:11:10 AM »

Also might be worth doing a second speedtest at
    http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/

and noting the latency and “bufferbloat” numbers

majnu

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 09:30:46 AM »

Also might be worth doing a second speedtest at
    http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/

and noting the latency and “bufferbloat” numbers

http://imgur.com/a/cvNMf
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:34:22 AM by majnu »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 12:44:53 PM »

Those numbers look exceptionally good. You have a good internet connection. The problem must be further out on the internet or even at the games's servers.

A traceroute to those servers would be interesting.

majnu

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 01:14:36 PM »

Trace route showed 13ms latency and 8 hops. I even replaced the faceplate today to an Openreach mk3 which made no difference. Rubberbanding has got worse in games.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 01:35:09 PM »

It sounds as though your problem is in the routing, and there's not a lot you can do about that. You could try forcing a PPP reconnection to see if you get a different gateway from your ISP.
  Eric

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 01:42:10 PM »

Try disabling any antivirus software. Last option I can think of, apart from changing to a better ISP, but given that those stats plus the traceroute indicate there's no problem, I'm at a loss, unless there is a bug in the game, at your end or in the game servers.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 01:47:52 PM »

Try talking to tech support for the game company, ask them what tests they would do.

Set the clock accurately on your machine (use UTC not summer time) and check that the NTP time sync service is working. Just a desperate thought.

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 06:17:30 PM »

Where is the BF server that you normally use? Not a lot of point in tracert to the bbc really :) Tracert to the server box & post that - do it at peak time.

My money is on it being whoever hosts the servers downgrading/paying peanuts for the specific route you take to the server box. I'd almost put money on it being either Telia transit or L3 transit being the issue - and that's without having a clue which BF servers you play on ;)

Edit - it could of course simply be an issue with Plusnet & their hideous traffic management but I have no clue what that's like these days.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 06:20:09 PM by rizla »

majnu

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 08:48:09 PM »

Where is the BF server that you normally use? Not a lot of point in tracert to the bbc really :) Tracert to the server box & post that - do it at peak time.

My money is on it being whoever hosts the servers downgrading/paying peanuts for the specific route you take to the server box. I'd almost put money on it being either Telia transit or L3 transit being the issue - and that's without having a clue which BF servers you play on ;)

Edit - it could of course simply be an issue with Plusnet & their hideous traffic management but I have no clue what that's like these days.

http://imgur.com/a/iHL83

Looks fine

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 10:55:14 AM »

Interesting. A friend plays on Fragnet & he's been moaning about them for a month or so. Then again he moans at the slightest thing so who knows :D

Been a while since I did any FPS but are the servers in question running stock maps or mods?

Edit - the other thing to consider is how many servers are running on the same box & whats the spec? I used to run some private MOH/whole load of other stuff servers on Barrysworld (that dates me) & one of the servers was whatever the latest/greatest Intel server cpu was at the time; another was on an older box - what was noticeable was that the faster box could cope with higher latency clients a lot better. The slower box began to lag other people out as the netcode of the game struggled with a couple of clients with high latency. We had to use a ping kicker to boot the clients off the slow box with a "please connect to the fast box" message because the cpu wasn't really up to running 8 x 32 player servers where more than one or two players per server were above 100ms latency. Faster box was fine with maybe half a dozen high pingers.

Just stuff to think about - can you still see the ping of everyone else on the map in BF? Used to be a panel in previous iterations IIRC. If so then have a look at what's going on with other people's latency when you're getting weird effects.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 05:06:23 PM by rizla »

majnu

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 04:41:25 PM »

- MSE A/V enabled or disabled makes no difference unfortunately.
- Try forcing a PPP reconnection. Not sure what that is or how to do it sorry :(
- I only play on EU servers and most have server centers in the UK. I understand that high player ping can cause problems in multiplayer games. I'm uploading a short video now which shows some of what I am facing. In other matches players just spin around, sometimes they just slide and teleport from one place to another, when running around I rubberband and the hit detection when firing at enemies is of causing them to sponge my bullets. This is not only a trait to one server but all of them.

This is my line stat as of today

Tracert to Servers

1. http://imgur.com/a/iHL83 (Album showing servers I pinged)

Video

Give it a few minutes for Youtube to process HD

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCUOt8TO98g&feature=em-upload_owner[/youtube]

« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 04:44:31 PM by majnu »

majnu

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 05:29:02 PM »

http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/pnPipes.htm

The link above doesn't show my gateway which is
You are currently connected to gateway ptw-ag01.
This is located in Telehouse West.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 07:12:56 PM »

Another possibility might be excessive packet loss, leading to retransmissions.    Such packet loss can occur anywhere.  It could be network side, or your connection to the DSLAM, but one strong possibility would be packet loss within your home network.

Within the home network, I have twice observed early symptoms of dying hardware (one a switch, another a router, both Netgear 'budget' items) were high rates of retransmissions.  I'm not a gamer, but watching recorded TV would stutter and freeze momentarily, which is obviously similar.

I'm not suggesting you go out and buy a new router or switch, it's far too much of a long shot to justify such expense.   But if you had a different router you could try, and maybe without the switch, it might be worth the experiment?

Might also be worth swapping Ethernet cables around in case one is dodgy.

I'm assuming you are not using WiFi, else I'd be saying 'try it without WiFi'. :)

Pages: [1] 2

anything