Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Replacing hh5 with a TP-link TD-W9980  (Read 3745 times)

vanguard0ne

• Just arrived
Replacing hh5 with a TP-link TD-W9980
« on: September 14, 2015, 10:25:33 AM »

Hello everyone, this is my first post so forgive me if it has been covered before.
I wish to replace my bt hh5, with another all I one such as the  TP-link TD-W9980.
Has anyone done this, and what's involved.
I currently have BT infinity1 , through a hh5.
My network consists of two laptops, a printer & a mobile phone.
Thanks

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Replacing hh5 with a TP-link TD-W9980
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 10:58:47 AM »

The only thing you need is the username used by the HH5 for the PPPoE connection, which for a residential connection is bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password can be anything.

If you also have BT TV you need to enable IGMP for multicast TV channels.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:06:14 AM by Dray »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 03:54:18 PM »

You will need to secure your new router so that admin access over the network is protected by a strong password. Ask for help on securing the device so that it's not just using manufacturer's well-known defaults.

A Team Cymru film on youtube talks about badness where malware downloaded from a website lands on your LAN, logs into the router as an administrator and reprograms the router to be evil permanently. There have been a huge number of attacks of this kind in the last few years. The router is permanently stuffed unless you get into it and repair the config or even re-flash the device with clean firmware.

aruba

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 07:36:29 PM »

You will need to secure your new router so that admin access over the network is protected by a strong password. Ask for help on securing the device so that it's not just using manufacturer's well-known defaults.

A Team Cymru film on youtube talks about badness where malware downloaded from a website lands on your LAN, logs into the router as an administrator and reprograms the router to be evil permanently. There have been a huge number of attacks of this kind in the last few years. The router is permanently stuffed unless you get into it and repair the config or even re-flash the device with clean firmware.

Don't let the above panic you/put you off, it's quick and simple to do, I'm sure someone will be able to step you through once you're up and running (it's also explained on P102 of the manual)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 12:52:36 AM »

Yes, we can help with setting it up for you.

vanguard0ne

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 09:55:58 AM »

Thanks for your help everyone, will let you know how I get on.... :)

robsunited

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 12:34:50 AM »

I replaced my hh5 with the 9980 and I'm delighted I did so. Far superior bit of kit. Best of luck setting up. You've made a wise move.