Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: helpful kitizen  (Read 2648 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
helpful kitizen
« on: September 12, 2015, 09:51:22 PM »

How does one get this status :)

I thought it was post count but seems its not.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: helpful kitizen
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 11:06:54 PM »

Nope its not post count.  Its generally those that have been around for helping several years and whose posts are generally reliable. 
Its also been given to those who may have specific knowledge in a particular area, such as Ezzer or BS.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 05:39:23 PM »

I can't remember whether I had it before or after kitz asked me (many years ago) to do some auditing/lunatic searching on the forums build she had at the time.

ISTR you called me up on the phone & you had the big C at the time kitz? I do remember my wife looking at me strangely as the phone discussion progressed but maybe you gave me the "helpful" tag prior to that - adslguide days probably.

The tl;dr is you get the tag because kitz knows who you are IRL & (mainly) trusts you.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 06:11:29 PM »

I do know that whatever 'tag' you get given ................... it isn't done so lightly. It's quite an honour when you do get 'The PM'.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 08:05:44 PM »

I can't remember either rizla, it was around that time it seems so long ago and much of it is a blur now, but I think you were the first.  I certainly recall the bizarre incident though regarding the guy purporting to be an MP and his abuse of the PM system, and why you offered to do the audit as its one of only a few people I've permanently had to ban.  I know I temporary gave you powers and it certainly was at the time I was ill & in hospital a lot,  but cant recall if it was before or after that when I created the helpful tag.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 08:45:05 PM »

It seems a long time ago because I'm afraid it was.... ;)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 09:06:29 PM »

Seem to recall my own award came about a year or two after joining.   Having benefited myself from the site's resources, improving my line's performance, I also became fascinated by the old BT DLM and the secrecy and myths that surrounded it.   It seemed only polite, in the months that followed, to look out for new members seeking help, then dive in and see them through.  After a year or so,   I was very flattered to be deemed helpful, as were a couple of others at the same time.

One big thing has changed since then...   In these days I was in an IT development job that did not inspire me.   Sitting at my desk, whilst maintaining the 'appearance' of working, I could get a lot more fun from a lot more fun helping folks' dsl issues.     :-[

But since then the boredom of job I disliked got the better of me, and I quit full time work.   Now in 'early retirement', I find I have rather more things to do, so rarely find the time to engage in anything beyond banter.   

If you ever feel like adding a new status for the likes of me, 'used to be helpful', I'd understand.   :D