Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Digital Set Top Box.  (Read 10153 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Digital Set Top Box.
« on: March 08, 2008, 12:50:37 AM »

Do you use a 'Digital TV Set Top Box.' If so have you noticed missing words at the start of say the news ?.
Eg1. This is ... six o clock news ("the" is missing).
Eg2. Good evening this is .... midlands today ("east" missing).
I have noticed it it the first few seconds of the programs.
Is it our sets or has anyone else noticed it.?  :'(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Digital Set Top Box.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 01:10:55 AM »

If it's anything like Virgin Media digi box's, it happens all the time, sometimes for up-to 30 seconds at a time.
It also happened on one account for the last 2 minutes of a film, (film just froze, again).
No apology's, no nothing.

Maybe for such a small amount of time you do not notice it freezing.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 01:48:09 AM »

I forgot to say the picture is ok, I have not seen it freeze.
Just the missing odd words.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 07:11:12 AM »

It's not uncommon for that to happen with digital TV, although I would normally expect the video to stutter as well. It happens on my media centre PC when live viewing, but it doesn't happen with recordings. I've tended to assume that it's something to do with initial buffering.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 07:19:36 AM »

We have a freeview box(goodmans) and yesterday the picture on certain channels went from widescreen to 4:3 format.I find the whole thing very tempremental.

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 09:31:55 AM »

I had a Panasonic set top box and had no great problems with it (though it did occasiobnally take it into it's head to reboot and start channel searching at unexpected moments just after you had switched on).  I've just bought and installed a Humax 9200TB PVR (http://www.martindawes.net/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=PVR9200B&cid=digital_set_top_boxes&pcidl=&language=en-GB) which is a set top box with twin tuners and all the record, pause live tv, etc facilities that the Skybox has (without the need for big monthly subscriptions!).  I'm amazed by what it will do and how well it works.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 09:39:57 AM »

Has anyone got or used one of those digi boxes with the card slot for satanta sports/topup tv.Just wondered if there any good.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 10:09:48 AM »

Can anyone particularly recommend a decent freeview box?... I'm going to have to get one... as soon as our 30 year old communal aerial system is upgraded.  I have no access to cable here, and I'm darned if I'm going to pay the council £135 for planning permission to erect a Sky dish.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 11:51:21 AM »

I have read many good reports above the Humax ones(see Jazz,s link above).They are quite expensive though.Have a search on

www.pricerunner.com.

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 11:59:08 AM »

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=221276&doy=8m3

Put your own hard drive in and its a recorder - simple enough to do although you don't have to. We've got a pretty dodgy signal - especially on the ITV multiplexes - but this seems to cope much better than other boxes we've tried. Dual tuner so you can watch one channel and record another.

I got one of these last year and it just works, which surprised me enormously as I think I got it in a sale and paid £40 for it. It doesn't have the greatest menuing system (especially on record/playback side of things) but I haven't discovered any major "gotchas". If you have any old IDE hard drives lying about then its a very cheap way of buying a DVR.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 02:07:27 PM »

Tickmike

I think your missing sound points to a marginal signal from your aerial although it is strange that it is not accompanied by picture breakup or freezing. Because of the way that digital TV is decoded in your STB and the various forms of error correction employed, if the signal drops for any reason to a value near the threshold for your particular STB/chipset, the error correction can't cope and we get sound breakup/losses and/or picture funnies. One of the blessings of the digital era! I speak as an (very) old analogue TV transmitter man.

Tony

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 03:22:30 PM »

Can anyone particularly recommend a decent freeview box?... I'm going to have to get one...

Floydy,
Only the best at Garstang Towers.
We have one from Asda for the manager's living room tv and a top of the range Aldi one for her bedroom tv.
Nothing wrong with either of them and both under twenty quid each.
dave

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 03:40:50 PM »

I bought one of the under £20 ones from Asda for my bedroom...  works fine.
I quite like how it has another stand so you put it on its side... which is a good space saver.
Its actually smaller than my router.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 04:47:31 PM »

Hmmm, I'm not really near to Asda... but I gather that boxes around the £20-30 mark should be just fine?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 04:53:22 PM »

Would think so.

There's so many cheap boxes that work very well nowadays, I wouldn't expect to pay more than £20-25 tops for one.
Chris
Pages: [1] 2

anything