Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New set up and Showtime  (Read 1987 times)

robsunited

New set up and Showtime
« on: September 08, 2015, 09:06:37 AM »

As per my last posting I've set up a TD-W9980 for the first time. Already I've had two reboots (Showtime). The first was at 8.07pm last night and the second at 04.10am this morning. Can I expect this to happen as it is a new set up (moving from a bt hub 5) or is there anything I should do to prevent this? When I initially set up the hub 5 it took about 10 days to settle into a stable connection.

Great forum by the way, fantastic support and information.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: New set up and Showtime
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 09:11:42 PM »

The one in the early hours could be DLM making some changes.

Have you noticed any difference in your sync speeds?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

robsunited

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 09:31:51 PM »

Sorry for being daft but what do you mean by sync speeds? If its the data rates they seem to be steady.

robsunited

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 09:00:51 AM »

Another 'Showtime' this morning at 4am, that's the second time in the past two mornings. Thing is, my stats are staying steady, and when I ran an Ookla Speedtest this morning I was back up to the download speeds I had been getting up to three days ago before I swapped out the Hub 5 for the W9980. On changing over the routers at the start of the week my speeds had dropped a little.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 07:04:40 PM »

Sorry for being daft but what do you mean by sync speeds? If its the data rates they seem to be steady.

You're not being daft just because you didn't know what I meant.   Sync speed is the rate at which your modem synchronises to the exchange or cab at.  Some routers will display it as line rate and its totally different from throughput speed.  Throughput speed is what the likes of the Ookla speedtest will give you.

4am is usually the DLM, but without having the sync speed from your router to compare its difficult to say. Unfortunately the TD-W9980 gives little in the way of line stat information.  ejs has written a small java application which can get a few more details.   Information in this thread.

I'm taking a wild guess that DLM applied some form of action (such as interleaving) on the 8th, but if your line has been stable for 3 days, then it will reverse that action and thats why speeds are slightly higher again. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything