Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: MS: You missed my message ..... You WILL have Win10 ... do you understand!  (Read 5552 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: MS: You missed my message ..... You WILL have Win10 ... do you understand!
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 12:45:10 AM »

If I ever put 8.1 or 10 on this rig, I will keep secure boot disabled, was first thing I did in the bios.

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 01:32:43 PM »

Ah the "Windows Update Stuck" problem - I've seen a lot of that on Windows 7 lately when you reinstall from scratch.

In my experience the problem is that a fresh Windows 7 install once SP1 is installed is now using the wrong version of the update client. Immediately after SP1 install the machine is presented with one important update - the update client itself. The version which is installed is NOT the same version as an older Win7 install - it is several versions ahead of that. For Win7 there's a hotfix (KB947821) which works the second time around (ie run it twice)  ::)

I rather suspect that a similar issue may be happening with Win8.1.

As an aside there are times when Windows Update will appear to be doing bugger all after a lot of updates and the cause (in my experience) is the execrable .NET updates which require "optimisation" on every machine after they "install". The giveaway there is that if you open task manager then mscorsvw.exe will be eating as much cpu & memory that it can get its grubby little paws on. If there's been updates to multiple versions of .NET (as happens with a fresh install) then you might be better walking away for a long time :D I sorted out the mother in law's old(ish) Win7 lappie & it took 13 hours (no joke) before the mscorsvw.exe nonsense was done & things progressed. On another box I just killed the mscorsvw process tree repeatedly to save my sanity then left it to run once it was all done. Oh and listening to the muppet responsible is pointless too as his suggestions (basically give it access to all cores to speed it up) are delusional.

Not sure that helps a lot but I know exactly how you feel :(

Edit - actually KB947821 now applies to Win8.1, you just have to run the DISM tool manually.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/947821
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 01:39:33 PM by rizla »

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 02:52:34 PM »

@rizla
Windows 7 is easy. You tend not to have UEFI Bioses but even if you do it makes sense and can be fixed using many tools (That work!!).

Win 8.x & UEFI are .......................................... Argggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggh!!!
The biggest problems are that many of the things you can do with Win 8.x are not obvious.
You can find answers ONLY if you know the answer to enable you to ask the right question.
The command/programs used are totally non-intuitive and are hidden because win8.x wants to display 'infantile' messages and do useless fixes over & over & over.
Even something as simple as booting to Safe mode is a pain because getting back to 'normal mode is non-intuitive and could never be found in a month of sundays by a noob who had never used win 8.x before.
I am not a noob but it is totally insane how it works.
Inconsistent methods and UI's, with strange naming of the commands/processes to fit the 'Infantile' UI.
Making something simpler does not mean you change language use to 'American English training speak'
(The language used in all the Multiple choice tests for all the major vendors exams where comprehension is not important, apparently  ;D )
Everything has been changed because it can be changed. (See 'Rant' below).

[rant]
I have just finished spending 16 hours non-stop fighting Win 8 / Win 8.1 / UEFI / 'Windows Update refusing to run under any circumstance'/'Refusing to be beat by MS'/Anger .... lots of anger and short words of anglo-saxon origin  :D / more anger and doing 'Hulk' Impressions /many lost hours researching clever multiboot USB solutions & building a USB multiboot for Win7+win8+WinPE/Macriium/Win 8.1 recovery disk then not using it at all !!/4 hours to run a 'In-place' Win 8.1 install/ 2 hours forcing Win 8.1 to fix 'Windows Update' very very slowly .......... yada yada/ Argggggggggggggh! Arggggggggggggh!! Argggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggh!!!

I hate MS and Win 8.x/10 (Win 10 crapped over Win8.x to cause my problems) & crappy s/w underhand tricks  :rain: :shoot: :shoot: :wall: :wall: :shoot: :shoot: :rant: :rant: :rant:

As you can tell, I have not recovered yet from my anger ...... not by a long while  >:(

Deep breath,
another deep breath.
Turn red and 'remember' to breathe out  ;D :D

I now have a encyclopaedic wikipaedic knowledge of  Win 8 & Win 8.1 and every logical solution to fix a corrupt install.
(Most do NOT work as advertised by MS ... Quelle Surprise  >:( )
I also have worked out the 'illogical' way win 8.1 boots etc.
I won  :yay: :yay: :yay: but it took trial and error and too much anger.
Win 8 is/was bad ..... so bad it makes Win 10 look good, even with the spyware built in.  :o :o
[/rant]

Sorry cannot bear to write about this further or I will be throwing a good 10month old PC out of the window to a quick death.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 03:27:40 PM »

Oh I do understand but the KB article has applied to "Stuck Windows 8.1 Updates" since April. The same issue applies to Win7 from six months earlier, go figure ;)

UEFI is a different issue - well a different set of issues :D
Pages: 1 [2]

anything