Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: MS: You missed my message ..... You WILL have Win10 ... do you understand!  (Read 5553 times)

AArdvark

• Kitizen

Don't want to upgrade to Windows 10? You'll download it WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/10/windows_10_forced_download/

Surprised ..... NOT !  :( >:( >:(

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: MS: You missed my message ..... You WILL have Win10 ... do you understand!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 02:14:32 PM »

I have automatic updates set, but I see that all the attempts to foist Windows 10 have failed according to Update history.

I'm altering my settings nonetheless.::) ;)

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 02:22:15 PM »

Do if you can.

See my other message re: locking Automatic updates on win 8.1

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 03:17:49 PM »

Mystified! I can't find "locking Automatic updates on win 8.1", but actually I'm on Windows 7

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 03:20:29 PM »

Don't want to upgrade to Windows 10? You'll download it WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/10/windows_10_forced_download/

Surprised ..... NOT !  :( >:( >:(
Exactly what happened to my friend. He called me concerned to receive an email from Beattie that he was approaching his 10Gb limit and worried that some malevolent force was at work. Well I guess he was on the right lines as MS had pushed ~6Gb of data to their hidden upgrade folder. Needless to say he was not amused at this underhand (his words) behaviour.  :no:

Postato in bella Italia!   :sun: :sun:
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 03:27:45 PM »

I am currently furious as MS has screwed up a perfectly working win 8.1 install.
See my other thread  >:( >:(

MS has lost the plot.

BTW:
Your total dedication has been noted  ;D ;D
Enjoy your stay in Italy ..... assuming you have not just moved there  ;D

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 04:22:03 PM »

This is illegal under UK law...

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 04:29:13 PM »

I am currently furious as MS has screwed up a perfectly working win 8.1 install.
See my other thread  >:( >:(

MS has lost the plot.

Exactly what I don't want to happen to his machine as yours truly would have to fix it. I thought of pointing him to these threads, but feared it would give him sleepless nights, so have warned him not to initiate, confirm or otherwise any invitation to upgrade, at least until I am present!

BTW:
Your total dedication has been noted  ;D ;D
Enjoy your stay in Italy ..... assuming you have not just moved there  ;D
Thanks, but you are too kind.  :-[

I wish! Just on holiday and flicking through the posts before getting tidied up for dinner.  ;D
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 08:11:45 PM »

Microsoft would really, really, really like you to upgrade to Windows 10. So much so that even if you've opted not to request the upgrade, you'll get it anyway, even if you never intend to install it.

Thats nothing new and I think we already knew that. :/   We've seen it happen too many times already on these forums.     
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 08:16:32 PM »

Mystified! I can't find "locking Automatic updates on win 8.1", but actually I'm on Windows 7
Here http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16141.0.html :)
It was a short description not the title.

It applies to all Win 7/8 as MS are installing the same 'magic' as win 10 on the older Oses.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 08:22:33 PM »

This use of an end users bandwidth by M$ to supply updates to other users is in my view simply theft of bandwidth and (if I ran W10 which I never will) I would report it to OFCOM as such.

The other day a friend asked me if they should accept this free upgrade - I told them NO under NO circumstances should they do it. Their W7 system works so why change.  They also have limited bandwidth so would be likely to get charges added to their monthly bill, as their bandwidth is normally more than enough for their personal use.

Stuart
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 08:24:58 PM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 09:00:24 PM »

This use of an end users bandwidth by M$ to supply updates to other users is in my view simply theft of bandwidth and (if I ran W10 which I never will) I would report it to OFCOM as such.

I'm constantly surprised there have never been any 'test cases' regarding theft of bandwidth.   Or has there?

The nightmare for me would be, we live out in the sticks and get a lot of power cuts.   When it happens, I often enable the mobile phone as a WiFi hotspot so at least the wireless devices can carry on.   But my free mobile data package is capped at 500MB, beyond which the charges are crippling.   That's tenfold what I normally use, but imagine a M$ laptop decided to download W10 using the hotspot...  :o

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 12:57:47 AM »

linux is actually a pretty good desktop OS now days.

I have already switched about 8 datacentre machines I use which were windows server based to lubuntu.  The interface is similar to what windows 95 was, so start menu, desktop etc.  No montlhy microsoft license fee to pay (which has to be paid if renting a server in a DC with windows server on it), vast majority of updates not needing reboots and much less resource usage, not to mention a better network stack.

The main reason I still use windows at home I guess is a combination of lazyness (too used to windows), using windows specific apps and directx.  But I can see the day coming I will eventually ditch windows.

I was already used to LXDE as well since parted magic uses it.

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 03:43:03 PM »

I've just locked down my daughter's Windows 8.1 (+ Classic Shell of course) notebook (she went to Uni yesterday) to prevent the preloading nonsense & eradicate GWX but its not at all easy on "Home" versions of Windows & requires messing about in the registry as well as buggering about with updates.

On Pro/Enterprise then you just use Group Policies & its job done - unless of course MS are dumb enough to rewrite the DCs Group Policies (definite criminal offence pretty much everywhere), they may be as they're going both barrels into both feet at the moment.

Edit - if you buy anything new from major suppliers right now then even if its got Win8.1 on it then it WILL be set to upgrade to Windows10 if that update is presented to it. This provides additional "challenges" as people like HP/Dell/Lenovo/etc will have their own "helper/updater/whatever" software running - eg I know for a fact that the "HP Support Assistant" will override the settings in Windows Update when it does its scheduled run; its fixable but you have to know its going on in the first place.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 04:05:24 PM by rizla »

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 11:19:20 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up.

I am aware of the win 8.1 Home problems ...... still fighting them.
After Win10 'restored' the Win 8.1 Home setup, it has done something to stop 'Windows Updates' settings being changed.
I have changed things in the registry and set the Policies correctly but I still will not change & work.

If I manage to make the change Updates will not be found or download.
Even though the Windows Update Troubleshooter fixes the problems it does NOT run.
Something has been played with at a very low level.

I am now trying to to an in-place update of Win 8.1 to force a refresh of the files and settings.
After backing up the Drive with Macrium I managed to fix the 'unfixable' problems on the drive.

They prevented Win 8.1 from booting beyond the initial 'We have a problem' screen which repeatedly then tried to 'fix' the problem and failed returning you to the same screen.
I hand crafted the BCD file from scratch and then ran a fix from booting a Win 8.1 Enterprise disk.
After 30 minutes it rebooted and was working BUT I now have the same 'Windows Update' settings locked and/or Update not running.

I hate Win10, Win 8.1 & UEFI Bioses, in that order  >:( >:( >:(  :shoot: :wall::mushroomcloud: (Emoticon to come ;D)
Pages: [1] 2

anything