Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Upgrade W10 to earlier version  (Read 2281 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Upgrade W10 to earlier version
« on: September 13, 2015, 11:33:47 PM »

Quick question.

If I allow a W8 to downgrade to W10, or if it allows itself to do downgrade owing to 'automatic downdate' settings, and if I then find a way of upgrading it to W8 again such as restoring from a disk image...

...will the W8 system it still be properly licensed?

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: Upgrade W10 to earlier version
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 03:07:23 PM »

If it picks the license up from the ROM (ACPI embedded) then it will work if you restore to win 8.x.

I have read that if you 'updowngrade' to Win10 your license is lost.
I think this is not 100% true while the 12 month Free period is running.
You have 30 days to revert and it does work (eventually) but I am not sure what happens after the 30 day period.
You can jump back and forth into and out of having Win10 installed.
I have read that MS can blacklist Licenses so your kosher license becomes useless.

Ask yourself the question do you want to take the chance ?
Have you got a license you can afford to lose ?

Ask yourself "Do I want Six licenses or Five ?" "Do I feel lucky?"  ....... Well, do ya, punk?

Why do you want to suffer win10 ? ....... Think of the children !!

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 04:25:32 PM »

Thanks AA, I'm still trying to make up my mind whether I can pluck up the courage to modernise and replace my XP with another Windows box at all. I'm not feeling any more enthused.

We do have a need for windows as we have a couple of websites to maintain and I don't feel you can claim a website to be  'tested' until you have subjected it to at least a few browsers, including at least one browser under at least one version of Windows, Linux, and OS X.   There's also a few Windows toys I have grown to like, such as Corel's 'Paintshop Pro', that may not be available for other OS's.  There are equivalents, they might even be superior, but better the Devil you know and all that.

I begin to think that the 'pain' of doing without windows might just be less than the 'pain' I've read about with W10, or even W8 , which it seems can become W10 if you turn your back on it .    :(

I could go off topic and start harping on about how much better Apple are in this respect with OS X, how they appear to have the simple rule that you can install/reinstall/upgrade/downgrade to any version of OS X you like, as long as it is no older than the version that shipped with the computer.  But this is a windows area of the forum, and mentioning Apple would be insensitive, so I won't do that.    :P

Ta again.  :)

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 08:06:59 PM »

The mental complexity of windows licensing and up/down grading is legacy from previous 'good' ideas that were broken/hacked by users who were too clever for MS.
If you need windows go for windows 7.
Installs easy, can be fixed easily if needed and just works.
All your software will run and you can stop it from morphing into win10.
You can even run it in a virtual machine on Apple kit and virtually any other kit (Pun intended)

Apple licensing is simple because it is a means to an end ....... buy and use Apple Hardware.
I am waiting for the current MS saga to suddenly introduce MS hardware that is certified to work with Win10 in a way other kit cannot.
i.e. If you want the full win10 experience buy MS Certified Hardware. ....... You saw it here first.  ;D :D ;)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 09:45:55 PM »

You may be right in your predictions.   :)

Odd thing to me is, while I know that any company must operate in the best interests of its shareholders - ie it must essentially make as much money as possible, it does get a bit silly and pointless when taken to these extremes.   Would make more sense if all involved could just concentrate on making good functional products, and the in-house staff would probably be happier too.

I saw a few weeks ago, when the Greek debt crisis was headline news, a suggested solution... that Apple should buy Greece.    I think it was meant as a joke, but then again... what were the numbers?    :D

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 10:16:01 PM »

I saw a few weeks ago, when the Greek debt crisis was headline news, a suggested solution... that Apple should buy Greece.    I think it was meant as a joke, but then again... what were the numbers?    :D

apple could afford to several dozen times over. It was actually proposed to them and the ceo's response was 'apple are not currently in the market to buy a country'

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 10:47:29 PM »

apple could afford to several dozen times over. It was actually proposed to them and the ceo's response was 'apple are not currently in the market to buy a country'
:lol:

anything