Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: A heads up - [Line Health Indicator]  (Read 15510 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
A heads up - [Line Health Indicator]
« on: September 11, 2015, 10:00:20 AM »

I've been pondering on whether to post this or not, due to the 'Attack dogs' that will pounce all over it. I have to say, I'm neutral about it at the moment because it's only just being rolled-out and initially only with BOOST jobs, but will extend to SFI/NGA in time.

It's basically a new 'Health indicator' that will be given to the engineer upon picking up a task on his laptop/i-Phone. We will now see either a green or a red indicator telling us the 'health' of the circuit in regards to speed, errors etc.
We will still visit site and do the PQT, Close-out and Eclipse tests, but we will NOT intervene in the network if the indicator is set to green and all tests pass.

This is a new technology and it has been brought about from 'Extensive research".

Now then, we're not daft on this forum ....... we know there will always be anomalies (HR's etc), but this is a heads-up to the EU's who expect OR to spend long hours trying to scratch another 0.5meg out of their 67Meg connection. Or, the usual low-speed fault that regularly turns out to be the EU's devices.  ;)  :) :)

As mooted, this is a new offering to we engineers and I'll give it time to bed in and compare my findings, before passing comment.

Admin - slight edit to topic title.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 11:02:53 AM by kitz »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: A heads up
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 10:57:49 AM »

Thanks for sharing that. Most of us are grateful for these insights.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: A heads up
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 11:00:31 AM »

I've been pondering on whether to post this or not, due to the 'Attack dogs' that will pounce all over it.

I'm certain that far more people appreciate information that you pass on, than there are that use it to have a dig at BT. I'm one of the former. 

I get where youre coming from, I've seen it myself re g.inp when I was trying to give out info. On one hand it was, well its not official, then you try bleeding hard to get something official and its 'oh thats nothing new'.   Bangs head on desk because of course its not new, we were saying it here before just unofficially.  Can't win sometimes :/

Anyhow, just wanted to say that there are many of us who are very interested on what's going on.

a new 'Health indicator' that will be given to the engineer upon picking up a task on his laptop/i-Phone. We will now see either a green or a red indicator telling us the 'health' of the circuit in regards to speed, errors etc.

Do you by any chance know what the health indicator is based on?

I'm thinking of those types of lines which have happily sync'd at 80/20 for years yet could develop some fault and speeds dip to say 65Mbps. So for example on my own line, would this still pass as green simply because it would be within the estimated speed range of 62.5Mbps [Clean] 51.5Mbps [Impacted] figures that comes from the BTw estimated speed range.  Or is it clever than that and will look at past history?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: A heads up - [Line Health Indicator]
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 01:03:35 PM »

Is this related to the "Line Test OK" (LTOK) developments, of which there was this graph from the publicly available ISP Forum slides from April on the btwholesale website?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 05:58:47 PM »

. . . it's only just being rolled-out and initially only with BOOST jobs, but will extend to SFI/NGA in time.

It's basically a new 'Health indicator' that will be given to the engineer upon picking up a task on his laptop/i-Phone. We will now see either a green or a red indicator telling us the 'health' of the circuit in regards to speed, errors etc.

Thank you for providing that information. Hopefully, with time, you will also be able to provide updates as to its reliability.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 06:36:46 PM »

This would be absolutely useless in my situation as the checkmark would be green each and every time and nothing would ever be done.

It just makes me more likely to email the CEO of Openreach.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 06:43:29 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, and appreciation of the fact that new technologies will always be tried out ..... whether they work or not is another matter.  ;)

Alas, there is no in-depth info as to what parameters are being used to collate the data, but I would imagine it's the same stuff as you guys peruse on MDWS, or at least the big four ...... attenuation, SNR, speed, errors ...... ??.

As I've already commented, it's purely BOOST tasks thus far, but OR have been working closely with the CP's so it will  be incorporated into SFI/NGA tasks eventually. If the CP does not provide enough data ..... then rather than an 'Indicator' there will be some kind of  'Guidance' in its place.

It is as Kitz suggests, the EU may demand more speed but if the indicator is set to Green, then <quote> 'the speeds they are achieving are above the national average'.
The folk involved in this have obviously put a lot of time into it, so if the naysayers write it off instantly as another conspiracy theory that OR are using it to complete more jobs to meet Ofcom targets, well ........ it won't be anything new.  ;) ::) :)

I shall still refer judgement though, until I and my fellow brethren can compare real-life testing against remote historical data collation.   

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 06:44:15 PM »

This would be absolutely useless in my situation as the checkmark would be green each and every time and nothing would ever be done.

It just makes me more likely to email the CEO of Openreach.

I'm sure he'll be looking forward to your correspondence, Alec.  :)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 08:18:57 PM »

I think my concern over this is just the problem where the end user may be getting well over the average UK speed BUT prior to the call they were getting even more above average and suddenly not. In my view comparisons to UK average speeds is not correct, a sudden drop of a significant amount must be investigated irrespective of what they now get compared to UK average speed. Just saying 'you're above average even now' is simply not acceptable.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 08:27:59 PM »

Stuart ............... as mooted, the software will be looking at historic speeds, amongst other parameters, ergo a severe drop would likely show as red ?.

There's no conspiracy.  ;D

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 08:48:54 PM »

But that wouldn't help if your line, wiring or environment has always been bad, so that your low speed is the same low speed you were getting in the past.

Isn't a boost visit some kind of special visit, always paid for by the CP, aimed at improving the speed, rather than fixing some fault? Surely there's no point in doing a boost visit then, if the indicator is already green.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 08:52:08 PM »

@Black Sheep

I hope it is Historic and not just whether you are within your estimated speed bounds.
When I had a HR fault the estimates changed so my new speed was 'within estimates'.
Historic would of shown that this was not indicative of what the line had been doing.

It will be interesting to find out how you find this works in reality and whether it helps you or hinders your job  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 10:05:19 PM »

Just stick with that JDSU BS and find those HR fault's don't even bother with a line health indicator Tony has already had a (DLM) line indicator up and running on MDWS for months  ;)

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 10:06:56 PM »

:D :D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 11:19:25 PM »

To be serious this new line health indicator would need previous history and current history from the end-users line i am not sure the DLM database holds so much data for each line line in the UK there has to be what's called a data limit for each end-users line.

I guess it could hold upto 3 to 5 years worth of stats for each end-users but it won't look like Roseways stats or Bald_Eagle1 stats it will be BT OR stats ::)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4