Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fleur Telecom  (Read 10553 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Fleur Telecom
« on: September 11, 2015, 01:15:07 AM »

I've just received an email from someone whose PC I've repaired a few times.  It's late, so I'll look into this a bit more in the next day or two, but I wondered if anyone here had any input.

The email states :

Hi Ian
Have you heard anything about Fleur Telecom?? Talktalk has sold us off to this company because we are 'rural' I haven't found much info - or anyone who is happy about this on google. Virgin Media apparently did the same. What to do - do I go back to BT or is there someone better out there?

This is all new to me, I've no idea if it's even factually correct, or if it is, what it might mean to a customer.  This person has had many connection problems and slow speeds in the past, likely to be due to their rural location.  (I've not been involved in this very much, mainly just fixing the computer).

Anyone know of "Fleur Telecom" ?

Ian

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: Fleur Telecom
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 01:56:58 AM »

Never heard of them before.
Quick look at their website etc
They are stating the postal address is in Hampshire yet the Call centre is in Nelson Lancs.
They started in 2014 so not too long ago.
They appear to be hoovering up 'Rural' customers.
Not sure who is providing the 'real' connectivity which they connect to.
If you say Talk Talk & Virgin have off-loaded customers what is common between those two ?

Only thought is that if they are new there is the risk that if they do not hit target numbers of customers they could be moving the customers on if they fail or be swallowed by someone else as a cheap target to pick up customers.
You need to see some benefit of joining a small company with the obvious attendant risks.
Pricing does not look special one way or another.

Their website does not give out much info beyond we do broadband and Phones and Mobile.
Has the look of someone buying a mix of services from across the market and selling the 'bundle' as a new Telecoms company.
Maybe I am wrong on that, it is just a feel from the generic website & docs.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 07:31:21 AM »

Part of the Daisy group, I believe

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 09:55:57 AM »

Part of the Daisy group, I believe
Looked both up and can confirm.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 12:36:20 PM »

Makes sense now.
This also ties in with SSE who use Daisy Wholesale.
The locations make sense as they are Daisy locations.

Looks like Daisy are spreading their wings and trying to grow their Domestic BB presence.
You can buy direct from Daisy as well.
It looks like create multiple brands to make yourself a bigger target.

See below from http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Broadband-Down-Your-Phone-Line/Fleur-Telecom/td-p/2812118
It appears that they did not have a website in April 2015, so very new.
Look at Daisy as they are the real provider.
I cannot remember but Daisy took over some group, it was reported in the Computer press.
Found something here http://www.cityam.com/216590/phoenix-and-daisy-agree-135m-takeover

From Manchester Evening News Article of Oct 2014
Daisy currently provides telephone, broadband and data services to more than 75,000 customers.

Daisy was taken over itself by a CEO buyout via a Consortium of investor funds. [Oct 2014]
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/business/daisy-group-accepts-494m-takeover-7963143

Fleur Telecom Limited

Registered Address:

Daisy House Suite 1
Lindred Road Business Park
Nelson
Lancashire
BB9 5SR

Incorporation Date: 17 December 2014

Ownership: Daisy Intermediate Holdings Ltd

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 05:03:14 PM »

I've worked in Daisy HQ a good few times. You want to see their server room, it's like something out of James Bond !! Very impressive.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 05:45:21 PM »

I've worked in Daisy HQ a good few times. You want to see their server room, it's like something out of James Bond !! Very impressive.
I would expect so, they have had a lot of investment so would expect the infrastructure to be very good or at least heading that way.
They 'white' label their services for other companies including the support side.

Daisy rings a bell, I am sure there has been a lot of press about the company over the last 5 years or so.
Just cannot remember what or where at the moment.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 06:46:07 PM »

One of their HO is localish to you.   
Their roots go back to Pipex days and lots of mergers and de-mergers which are quite complex. iirc up until a few years ago they were exclusively business providers and they mostly resold BT/TT etc, but then they bought out Murphx and a couple of other companies to form their own wholesale network.    I know someone who works for them and they do actually seem to be quite decent company to work for despite his daily commute.   ie giving staff a whole day off at very short notice to take a non-relative kitzy-cat to a hospital that's over an hours drive from here and make sure she's ok, whilst other family members had to take over care of dad and get him to hospital nearly an hours drive in the opposite direction. ;)

----------
ETA

Note
From this point forward the conversation starts to wander off topic,  Because the original question has been answered, I'll leave everything as is.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 11:30:42 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 07:03:13 PM »

It's their big HQ that's near me, Kitz. Their CEO (Mathew Riley) has had a mahoosive house built roughly 10-15miles away from the HQ, in rural surroundings. It has a car-lift that takes him (and his car, obviously), from the ground floor to whatever floor he wishes to go to.

He probably has an i-Mac as well !! Joke - joke ......... don't shoot me.  ;D ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 07:23:44 PM »

Yep that's the one I meant, when I mentioned commute.   Its right off the M65? 
Its easy access to the motorway and the fact that he lives only a few mins from the M55 means traffic willing time wise it isnt too bad compared to the miles.   It can sometimes take him less time to get to work than mine  ???

lol..  dunno about the house or i-macs.. or even if he has an i-car though :D  :lol:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 10:07:13 PM »

It's their big HQ that's near me, Kitz. Their CEO (Mathew Riley) has had a mahoosive house built roughly 10-15miles away from the HQ, in rural surroundings. It has a car-lift that takes him (and his car, obviously), from the ground floor to whatever floor he wishes to go to.

He probably has an i-Mac as well !! Joke - joke ......... don't shoot me.  ;D ;D

Does the CEO also have a white, blue-eyed, Turkish Angora Chinchilla Persian cat? If so, you have discovered the current lair of Ernst Stavro Blofeld:o

[Edited to correct the breed of the cat.]
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 11:57:48 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 10:08:13 PM »

:D :D :D
It all becomes clear.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 05:21:48 PM »

Does the CEO also have a white, blue-eyed, Turkish Angora cat? If so, you have discovered the current lair of Ernst Stavro Blofeld:o

Totally off topic alert!

btw.. did you know that Blofeld's cat being white persian or a turkish angora is actually a myth?  *
Its a bugbear of mine that people think it was. Same as how some people think my Zoe is Siamese. 
Oh theres a white fluffy cat so it must be persian/angoran.  Oh theres a cat with colour points so it must be Siamese :rolls eyes:

Although they have used several cats over the years, Blofelds cat in You only Live Twice is actually a Chinchilla Persian as is the one in From Russia with Love etc 

The Turkish Angora is similar in that its a white long hair, but it's sleeker with a more pointed face & pale pink nose - See CFA specification.

The white persian is long hair, but has a flat face.

What sets the Chinchilla Persian aside and makes it so distinctive is:-

• Their long white fur is gently marked with a subtle and very pale grey tip. 
    This tipping is so pale that you only normally notice it's lack of absence where the fur is shorter such as around the moustache/nose area, or just beneath the eyes which is usually pure white.  This is a trademark of the Chinchilla known as silver tipping
  • The Chinchilla has very distinctive black kohl lines around their inner eyelids, which the white angoras dont - theirs are pale pink.
  • The Chinchillas also have the black line around their orangish nose.  The Angoras have pink noses and no markings
  • Chinchilla's eyes arent bright blue but are more aqua blue/greenish. Angora's eyes are blue although sometimes they have one blue and one aqua eye
  • Chinchillas dont have the horrible squashed pug nose of the traditional persians, but their faces are flatter than the Angoras.
  • They are stockier than an Angora.
  • They have thicker fur around the torso
  • The Chinchilla's paw pads are often black.  The white angoras are pink.

This 100% is a Chinchilla Persian and not a Turkish Angora - Clip from You Only Live Twice.

Different cat, but clip from Russia with Love showing the distinctive black paw pads, black eye kohl, black marking round nose.  This is also a Chinchilla - look how clear the silver tipping is and its not pure white.

Lots of images from Diamonds are Forever -link.
Note the silver tipping, stockier body shape, longer body fur,  the black kohl around eye and nose - none of those would be present in a White Angora.

From Never Say Never - spot the obvious yet?

The Chinchilla is a rare but beautiful breed and doesnt have the horrible squashed pug nose of a traditional persian.  Unfortunately breeding over the past 25 years of these beautiful cats and crossbreeding with white persians, has led to their beautiful faces becoming more squashed (particularly in the USA) which I think is alarming and cruel.

Here is my beautiful Chaz-cat, a pedigree Chinchilla Persian, born in 1995 and before breeders started messing with their faces. 

When you know the breed, then you can easily recognise that the Angora is quite different to a Chinchilla.

---
ETA

*That wasnt a pop at you b*cat,  I'm very aware that lots of sites say Blofelds cat is an Angora/Persian and it continues to spread as such. :/
Not many people are aware of the Chinchilla's because they are rare, so it just gets assumed that its one of the others.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 05:34:39 PM by kitz »
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 07:12:55 PM »

I have now made an edit to the Wikipedia Ernst Stavro Blofeld page, changing the relevant sentence to read --

It was initially a convention of the films not to show Blofeld's face, only a closeup of him stroking his white blue-eyed Chinchilla Persian cat.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 07:24:37 PM »

So...

Fleur Telecom are ok because cats?  :lol:

Ian
Pages: [1] 2

anything