Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Anyone have opinions on SSE fibre broadband?  (Read 3987 times)

phi2008

• Reg Member
Anyone have opinions on SSE fibre broadband?
« on: September 10, 2015, 03:38:43 PM »

Trying to get some definitive customer reviews for SSE broadband but the best I can find are these -

- ISPreview

- HotUKDeals

- MoneySavingExpert

ISPreview basically gives opposing reviews which don't settle the issue of whether SSE heavily throttle their users, does anyone have anything to add regarding SSE broadband?  :-\

marjohn56

• Reg Member
Re: Anyone have opinions on SSE fibre broadband?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 05:49:53 PM »

If it's anything like thier other services, i.e. Gas and Electric then I would stay well clear. We had them as our supplier for 12 months... that was enough. :no:
OPNsense 18.* - Billion Bridge - Qotom Q355G4 - ISP - ZEN U.K.

Team Rebellion Member

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 08:16:31 PM »

Hi there,

I recently moved to SSE for phone and Fibre Broadband, being an existing customer for their Gas and Electricity. The deal is supposed to be 24 months at 1/2 price for the Fibre, but you do need to read the small print as there's all sorts of getchas. The service went live on 11 August. I had previously been with PlusNet on their basic Fibre (Essentials I think), but the service had been gradually deteriorating since earlier this year, and I had started to get multiple disconnects per day, sometimes reconnecting automatically, but mostly not and PlusNet insisted that there was no problem. At one point they insisted that I carry out a lengthy sequence of speed tests, but the fault was nothing to do with speed issues, it was the constant disconnections which I was trying to resolve. At this point I decided it was probably a good time to move to another provider.

I received  a comprehensive information pack when I first contacted SSE, and subsequently received written notification of when the service was to go live, and the standard warning that if I was not at home when the engineer called to activate my service, I would face a bill of £108, which was a load of rubbish as I already had a Fibre service active at my home. Anyway, I waited in all day on activation day, and yes, you guessed it no engineer called which really p*ssed me off, so I got on the phone to them and negotiated a compensation type payment, which they assured me would be applied to my account. At the present time I can't say whether this has happened or will happen, as their billing system appears to be similar to the energy bills which is on a 3 monthly basis. Mine is due during October I think. Just remembered, a couple of days after my line was activated, I got 3 further letters dated 3, 4 and 5 August reminding me about the potential fee of £108 if I was not at home when the non existant Openreach engineer came to activate my service - at this point I could do nothing but laugh about it  :D

As for their Fibre service, I don't think I have anything to complain about, as I am now seeing sync and throughput speeds, slightly better than when I first went on Fibre with PlusNet. The first week or so was without Interleaving being applied - I had never had that while with PlusNet - but has now settled down quite nicely as far as I can see. If you are interested (or anyone else is) please take a look at mydslwebstats where you can find my line
stats under user 'toulouse'.

Good luck

toulouse

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 09:05:15 PM »

After doing a bit more research it looks like I can't migrate to SSE and claim cashback because their web site does not support migration from non-BT lines - the migration would require intervention and therefore mess up the automatic cashback process.

However perhaps this thread may help other people interested in SSE ...  :)

mrpops2ko

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 10:37:43 AM »

hey, dont know if you noticed it but I was going to switch over to them at one point. I semi-blogged about it here. http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15826.0.html

TLDR;
don't switch to them if you use more than 750GB total throughput a month (DL+UL combined) - else you are going to get disconnected (confirmed by SSE manager I called / daisy group AUP) - how they can advertise it as unlimited is beyond me.

anything