Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Scam phone calls about my internet  (Read 31669 times)

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Scam phone calls about my internet
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2016, 11:26:14 PM »

I think call blocking is the best way. The BT 8500 is a good start.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2016, 11:40:36 PM »

I think call blocking is the best way. The BT 8500 is a good start.

It is and anyone like me who gets 4 -12 bogus calls a day from 7am to 7pm will definitely benefit from a call blocker as no one else seems to be doing anything about this then it must eventually fall on the end-users hands.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2016, 11:48:38 PM »

I had one last week, from a fine wines investment broker (/scam).

By the end of the call, once he realised I was wasting his time, and in fact quite a lot of his time, he offered ... 'shall I take you off our list?

'No thanks' I said, 'I enjoy these calls, please keep calling'.   :D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2016, 11:59:35 PM »

I had one last week, from a fine wines investment broker (/scam).
By the end of the call, once he realised I was wasting his time, and in fact quite a lot of his time, he offered ... 'shall I take you off our list?

:D I would have loved to have had that option and many many time have asked them to take me off the calling list and they said yes Mr ______ you won't here from us again and then next day same ID number on phone and the next day and so on  ::)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2016, 12:08:40 AM »

Truth is of course, there is very rarely an actual 'list', from which they could remove your number, even if they wanted to. 

For the pre-recorded message calls, PPI, green energy, Loans repayment, etc, I do usually press '9 to be removed'.  Once I see, from repeated calls that has had no effect, I press '5 to speak to an advisor', and annoy them with all my might.   They can be very abusive indeed, if you annoy them enough.  Especially once the 'advisors' get to recognise your voice,  which makes it a great deal of fun. :D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2016, 12:42:17 AM »

Ah well those days are a distant memory with call blocker installed acting like a telephone firewall and as with any firewall you need to keep it up to date with new rules.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2016, 08:33:20 AM »

The problem with most nuisance calls we get is that they continually change the caller ID which means you have to have at least one before you can block that number. I am registered with TPS and on the only occasion I can remember where it was a real company calling I mentioned this and immediately got an apology and confirmation my number would be removed. All the others we get are either because of the TT fiasco which actually have reduced in number now to maybe a couple per month, and a new one being supposedly an Accident Insurance claim company with Indian callers again, two of those in the past couple of weeks. Again different numbers each time. We are ex-directory, and have been for some 20+ years and that I believe has had an effect on reducing the amount of nuisance calls we get, as at least companies who use lists wont find us easily, we also have anonymous call reject set on our line, only issue there is our son cannot phone from work on his work phone but since he knows that it is not an issue, however the Indians still get through because they are spoofing caller ID and it confuses the rejection software.

Most spam/nuisance calls these days use number generation and caller ID spoofing and again are outside of the UK and EU so nothing much can be done until their own jurisdiction does something about it.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2016, 10:22:26 AM »

Agree about the rapidly changing caller ids.

I think I mentioned in this or a different thread, an increasingly common ploy, at least for users of whatever 'suckers lists' our number appears upon, is to display a valid-looking number that has same dialling code as myself. 

It's a trick that works, to an extent.   I am much more likely to answer the phone, and more likely to listen to what's being said, if I think it is somebody else in the village calling...

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2016, 10:41:03 AM »

The BT 8500 has a whitelist that you create and if a calling number is not on that whitelist, the caller is asked to state their name which is then played to you so you can decide whether to take the call or not.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2016, 10:27:15 PM »

It's a trick that works, to an extent.   I am much more likely to answer the phone, and more likely to listen to what's being said, if I think it is somebody else in the village calling...

The idea behind the call blocker is you won't here the phone ring when its blocked so need to answer the phone.

SLM just get a telepone call blocker and your life will return to normal and any phone calls getting through willl be from your family and your mates the way it should be and you can block a family member if need be  ;)

http://www.cprcallblockerforum.com/index.php?threads/call-blocker-programming-codes.2478/
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 10:34:58 PM by NewtronStar »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2016, 11:02:20 PM »

The idea behind the call blocker is you won't here the phone ring when its blocked so need to answer the phone.

SLM just get a telepone call blocker and your life will return to normal and any phone calls getting through willl be from your family and your mates the way it should be and you can block a family member if need be  ;)

http://www.cprcallblockerforum.com/index.php?threads/call-blocker-programming-codes.2478/

I am well aware of the functionality of call blockers.  I have explained the reasons why, whilst I wish I could profit from making and selling them, I do not want one in my home.  I like to think that my reasons are understood, and valid.

You have explained why you like them, and why you want one.  Your reasons are understood by me, and valid.

Let's just accept our differing requirements?   :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #86 on: February 29, 2016, 07:10:53 PM »

Let's just accept our differing requirements?   :)

Agreed  :hug:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]