Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Scam phone calls about my internet  (Read 31668 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Scam phone calls about my internet
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 08:05:12 PM »

My favourite one of all was a few weeks ago.   

The Indian gentleman reallised I was leading him on and started swearing at me.  I won't recite his actual swear words, but it was the the sort of abuse you hear in American gangster movies, only with the accent of an offshore ISP help desk.    I found that incredibly funny and so I started to laugh.   

He threatened that if I laughed again, he'd swear at me again which, of course, made me laugh all the more.   

The more I laughed, the more he swore, until eventually he reached breaking point and hung up. :D

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 08:08:25 PM »

I have reached the point where I don't try to play games with them any more or explain I am not stupid enough to believe their story.
The popular one is the 'I am from Microsoft and your PC is sending viruses onto the Internet ...... yada....yada'
When you ask them to tell you what the IP address of the PC is they are stumped and get very shirty.

I now just put the phone down on them, saves time and wasted anger.
They don't care if you know it is a scam as there are plenty of victims waiting to be caught out.
They don't like their time being wasted but it is not so easy to string them along like a good old 411 scam.
I think someone who I have given my email to has had their data harvested.
(I rarely give out my real address but sometimes have to and think I have been added to a scam list and worse)
I am getting some dodgy e-mails + scams, they arrive in bursts then you get calm for a few days or a week or so.  :( >:(

That is the problem today, you can be as careful as you like but someone else can have no idea about security and you suffer the consequences.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 08:16:05 PM »

The more I laughed, the more he swore, until eventually he reached breaking point and hung up. :D

Love it  :D :D
I have been swore at a few times which shows they are so sure you cannot trace them and they don't care if you know it is a scam.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 08:18:44 PM »

We just pick up the phone and say feck off feck off it won't stop the cold callers ringing back as it's a computer that does this but i feel better afterwards until the next day comes.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 10:59:02 PM »

Here is the corrected link:)

Tx, but I wasn't on anything when I posted. Really! :-[

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2015, 12:01:58 AM »

Tx, but I wasn't on anything when I posted. Really! :-[

Finger (or paw) slippage can occur, no matter how hard we try!  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

gregory

• Just arrived
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2015, 09:58:54 AM »

The problem with these scammers is they are spoofing the caller-id and some times it is a valid UK phone number and sometimes not. The other issue is that I have rarely seen the same number being used so eventually you fill up these blocking devices as they usually have a finite capacity. Now if I could get TT to provide me with a new ex-directory number which has NEVER been issued (they do re-use numbers after a few months) and would be willing to pay any costs incurred with changing then I might just do it.

Stuart

Yeah you're right. Almost all of them use spoofed number to call our number. They sometimes use a real person's number to call us, so when you try to call back the number, the one who pick it up is a real owner of the phone number. I find people report about them almost everyday. For TalkTalk related scams, I got their call several years ago, and they still call you until now?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2015, 10:06:08 AM »

For TalkTalk related scams, I got their call several years ago, and they still call you until now?

I have had the odd call in previous years but this summer has been different in that they have so much information about the customer if you interrogate them that they could sound plausible.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2015, 03:25:42 PM »

I just say 'Police Station'  :o they do not want to talk to me then  ;) what a pity  ;D.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2015, 06:25:48 PM »

I just say 'Police Station'  :o they do not want to talk to me then  ;) what a pity  ;D.
Good joke ...... but actually a good idea!!  :D :D
I might try this and see what happens.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2015, 07:05:02 PM »

Tread carefully with that,  I believe impersonating a police officer is an offence. :(

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2015, 07:08:38 PM »

Tread carefully with that,  I believe impersonating a police officer is an offence. :(
If I answer a phone as "Police Station" it does not imply I am a Policeman, as civilian staff work in Police Stations as well.  :D :D ;)  ::)

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2015, 05:15:16 PM »

I just set the callblocker to pickup & play a ring tone to "zapped callers". Costs them a few pennies more & its not like anyone here actually uses the landline for phoning people.

You'd be surprised how long some autodialler s/w stays connected for - the record is 37 minutes, I guess you get what you pay for in spamming too :D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2015, 05:23:01 PM »

I just set the callblocker to pickup & play a ring tone to "zapped callers". Costs them a few pennies more & its not like anyone here actually uses the landline for phoning people.

You'd be surprised how long some autodialler s/w stays connected for - the record is 37 minutes, I guess you get what you pay for in spamming too :D

As I have said a lot of these are good ideas but when they caller ID changes on every call it is not possible to block them all.

Had a call the other morning and strung him along a bit and then just started laughing at which point he hung up  :lol:

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2015, 06:11:19 PM »

You can block a fair few million as the number ranges they often use haven't been issued ;)

Then you use the "we don't recognise your number, please press <numberkey> to connect" which kills maybe 90% of the autodialers.

With a custom "zaplist" then there's not a lot of spam left.

"False positives" run at about 3% which is typically local govt, they always try again and it works - its because they start talking before they press the right key & then get confused :) To be fair I think the local PABX (or whatever its called now) at their end is to blame.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

anything