Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Scam phone calls about my internet  (Read 31905 times)

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: Scam phone calls about my internet
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2015, 03:22:44 AM »

@NewtronStar
Not very scientific really.  ;D

The means to acquire the call data has evolved over all that time and the spread of the data has increased as well.
You are getting calls because your data is being consolidated and harvested from anywhere & everywhere your data goes.
You may protect your privacy and information personally, but who controls the data once it is in someone else's computers.
It is easy to blame the foreign call centres as a source & recipient of the data but it could just as well be data that is sitting on a websites computers that has been harvested.
For every hack/crack and phishing event that is reported I am sure there are many more that are kept quiet or even worse have not been found yet!!
I receive scam emails and dodgy invitations that I suspect are simply my information has been 'hoovered up' from other people.
I do not frequent dodgy sites and therefore have not been hacked or had my local data accessed by them, they have simply built or acquired the lists from other sources.

It is the same as receiving mail for old addresses years after you have lived there.
This also happens every so often as the mail address lists are passed around.
(I have old neighbours who forward on mail at random times)

All this is a smoke screen to the real problem which is the Telcos do not want to engage in a war to solve this problem.
As they see it's an obstruction to business which costs them money to wage the war and to weather the impact on business.
If it was impacting their 'Bottom line' the fix would appear tomorrow, by pure happen-stance, I am sure.
Go figure !!  :o ;D :D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2015, 10:46:10 PM »

Well in this household we have come to a conclusion here we either purchase the product call blocker that freelander suggested or i remove the the telephone plug from the SSFP and upper faceplate, it's obvious the ISP can't do much to stop it but the end-user can  ;)

We will just use are mobile phones for in and out calls if the ISP can't fix this they will lose money from there landline deals  :cool:

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2015, 12:37:34 PM »

Well in this household we have come to a conclusion here we either purchase the product call blocker that freelander suggested or i remove the the telephone plug from the SSFP and upper faceplate, it's obvious the ISP can't do much to stop it but the end-user can  ;)

We will just use are mobile phones for in and out calls if the ISP can't fix this they will lose money from there landline deals  :cool:
Sounds like a good solution to me  ;D
Especially as I don't use the land line for many calls, so no loss to me, just the ISP  :D ;)

I wait for the day when some ISP simply provides 'Broadband' without a line rental forced on top for calls you don't use.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2015, 01:23:07 PM »

I wait for the day when some ISP simply provides 'Broadband' without a line rental forced on top for calls you don't use.

The problem with that is the cost of broadband will include provision of the line hardware to support it so it WILL be more expensive, you have to have the cable and infrasturcture after all. Even if you go fibre to the premises it still will not be cheap and providing a phone over that is easy as well and FTTP is not cheap and will probably never be anywhere other than large urban conurbations.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2015, 05:23:51 PM »

No they won't as there are two types of supplier :

1) The bundled calls package with line rental (more or less the norm now). They make shedloads out of that as most people don't use their landline much;

2) The "bare bones, keep line rental low" deal. These people don't expect you to be making many calls anyway.

Neither one cares if you use your mobile instead :)

Line rental is looking more & more like a cartel as all the major providers increase prices by the same amount above inflation - a fact not un-noticed by Ofcom as its the reason UK broadband has gone from being one of the cheapest to one of the most expensive in Europe. Yes the BB service might be cheap but (compulsory) line rental has gone up by 60% in retail terms over the last decade while wholesale costs for that line rental have dropped by something like 40% or so. This sort of divergence indicates a non-functional market in terms of competition.

You won't get a proper "barebones" DSL line (or fibre) until Openreach is no longer part of BT Group & can innovate products.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2015, 06:16:49 PM »

Although not exactly relevant to scam phone calls (the OP mentioned stolen customer data), you can check if your email address has been involved in such a theft. I checked mine and discovered that one had been involved in the data breach at Adobe some time ago.  https://haveibeenpwned.com
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 06:18:50 PM by vic0239 »
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2015, 07:17:04 PM »

Although not exactly relevant to scam phone calls (the OP mentioned stolen customer data), you can check if your email address has been involved in such a theft. I checked mine and discovered that one had been involved in the data breach at Adobe some time ago.  https://haveibeenpwned.com
In using this you are giving email addresses to an unknown website, which if it is 100% safe & Kosher could be hacked to harvest a nice list of valid emails addresses.
Am I being too cynical ??  ;D :D

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2015, 09:40:20 PM »

I hope so! A valid point, but where does it end? Taken to the extreme we'll all be switching off our internet enabled devices for fear of being hacked.  :(

Perhaps this is the answer?  :-\
 https://www.avforums.com/threads/cujo-internet-security-for-all-of-your-connected-devices.1979999/?utm_campaign=September_2015_Newsletter&utm_source=Suite26&utm_medium=Email+Campaign
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2015, 09:52:31 PM »

I hope so! A valid point, but where does it end? Taken to the extreme we'll all be switching off our internet enabled devices for fear of being hacked.  :(

Perhaps this is the answer?  :-\
 https://www.avforums.com/threads/cujo-internet-security-for-all-of-your-connected-devices.1979999/?utm_campaign=September_2015_Newsletter&utm_source=Suite26&utm_medium=Email+Campaign
Unfortunately, this comes across as digital snake oil.  ;D [Previously read about this]
The nice plastic 'night-light' thing with the eyes will attract the ithing generation but at the end of the day you are trusting a 'magic' computer to somehow do more than the average AV/Anti-Malware package.
The is the same problem with some 'Trusted' company to filter all your information/connections (in & out) as the site you quoted in the OP.
It really just looks like an attempt to turn an AV/Anti-malware product into a subscription product.
I do NOT like subscription products as a matter of principle, I see it as being held hostage to whatever the company wants to do further down the line when you have committed yourself.

Yes, I am quite cynical ...... history has proven that this attitude is too often the right one.
Too many crooks, scammers and people who think they are justified in skimming money from all the little sheeple.  ;D ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2015, 10:40:36 PM »

I wonder if a member could find out info on this number 01250460626 they have been ringing every day for over 12 months

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2015, 10:48:20 PM »

I wonder if a member could find out info on this number 01250460626 . . .

Is it a real number or is it a fake number, that is the question!  ;)

It is in the format of a standard UK telephone number, 5 digit area code and 6 digit subscriber number.

We can see to where the 01250 area code maps . . . Do the callers have a Scottish accent?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2015, 11:05:22 PM »

We can see to where the 01250 area code maps . . . Do the callers have a Scottish accent?  :-\

No B*CAT it's Indian and i vented off steam and the conversation got heated and never herd such insulting language coming from this so called call center it's gone beyoned a scam or nuisance it's now entering into criminalization.

[Moderator edited to fix the broken link/formatting.]
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 11:14:51 PM by burakkucat »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2015, 11:19:31 PM »

:hmm:  Hmm . . . I really don't know what to advise. Quite clearly that number is a fake.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2015, 11:29:05 PM »

« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:28:48 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2015, 11:36:54 PM »

:hmm:  Hmm . . . I really don't know what to advise. Quite clearly that number is a fake.  :(

I hope that call blocker works at £59 it was ordered this evening or i will blow a fuse could have bought a billion 8800nl for that price and what worrys me my sister calls from work and her number is withheld is that also going to be blocked ?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

anything