Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Wholesale estimates  (Read 1172 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
BT Wholesale estimates
« on: September 12, 2015, 07:13:47 PM »

Gentlefolk,

BACKGROUND

Some of you will recall a rather fraught installation of the ECI cabinets in Ewhurst.
Since then I have detected two DPs where originally BT Wholesale offered VDSL services which have now been withdrawn if the line hasn't already had it installed. I.e. BT have condemned all new VDSL services from that DP, whether or not reasonable services are available there.

DP 1040 is particularly frustrating as the house opposite the DP achieves 18.4 Mbps whereas the far end house crawls along at 2.77 Mbps which at least is better that the 0.43 Mbps achieved on the other ADSL line at that address.

It's even more devastating for any newcomer taking over a ceased line as presumably they won't be offered VDSL at all.

DISCOVERY

Using the BT Wholesale checker with the telephone number, a reduced estimate is still shown if "This line has jumpers in place." = VDSL active.
However multicast is not offered.
It is possible to detect if such a line is condemned by entering the property address instead of the line number which then does not mention FTTC.
The checker does tell you if a line is present at the property if "Note: The DP is external to the end user premises." is shown.

If a number without VDSL is entered then no FTTC estimate is even mentioned together with "This line does not have left in jumpers."

This might sound rather nit-picking but I can assure you it is of the utmost concern for a property vendor and purchaser.
On just one occasion, after many months of BT obfuscation and anguish,  a Superfast Surrey Public Servant did manage to persuade BT Openreach to oblige.

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT Wholesale estimates
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 12:31:26 AM »

In a way it kind of reminds me how the old 2Mbps fixed service could be in the days of old.    Complain too many times about the service disconnecting and it ended up being downgraded as only fit for 1Mbps.  :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker