Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: FTTC speed from ADSL2 performance  (Read 15005 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: FTTC speed from ADSL2 performance
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2015, 04:31:43 PM »

I am not tweaking my line at this end but my connection is stable even with the low SNRM,

In that case we will assume that your target SNRM is a standard 6 dB. Either there was a significant "noise" event occurring when you harvested those statistics or the last resynchronisation event had occurred at a very "quiet" time and with the normal "noise" (for your circuit) now present, the SNRM has been depressed accordingly.

does this adjustment get done by the exchange?

No, it would be something that the user would do via a modem/router equipped with a Broadcom chipset.

Is the implication of my line stats that I might be better off staying with my current arrangement rather than FTTC? Is FTTC more sensitive to this kind of line stability?

To me (without any other line data, collected over a period of time, to consider) I would say that your situation is borderline. ADSL2 or VDSL2, which would give the best performance?  :shrug2:

My hope was (obviously) since Cabinet 1 is much closer to me than the exchange that I would achieve a better quality connection with FTTC and perhaps eliminate some of the noise or whatever.

I understand that faultless logic.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2015, 06:10:15 PM »

does this adjustment get done by the exchange?

No, it would be something that the user would do via a modem/router equipped with a Broadcom chipset.

When I was on ADSL2 my default snr was definately set to 3db by the DSLAM. I'm sure this is an option for DLM on ADSL2/2+.
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2015, 07:21:05 PM »

When I was on ADSL2 my default snr was definately set to 3db by the DSLAM. I'm sure this is an option for DLM on ADSL2/2+.

The ISP can overide the DLM on ADSL2 by users request and set the SNRM to 3dB if the users line can hold on to this setting without extra massive errored seconds, if the errored seconds go above the threshold the DLM will change the SNRM to 6dB or 9dB or even 12dB.

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2015, 07:44:31 PM »

Well, I was on a 3db margin with Plusnet without any request being made.
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2015, 07:57:20 PM »

Well, I was on a 3db margin with Plusnet without any request being made.

Well, I am very happy for you

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2015, 12:26:42 PM »

Hell, I couldn't have be more off the mark, with my comment very early on in this thread !! Chunks has PM'd me and he now has all the details to hand.  :)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2015, 12:58:51 PM »

I would like to thanks everyone in this thread for their sage advice and comments.  Based on all the feedback I have received I now have much more information on which to base a decision about whether to 'upgrade'

EDIT : I have now heard from a reliable source that my D-side is about 1.4 km in length and that sadly the majority of it is with aluminium cabling.  This explains why I have had stability and other problems over the years so is really handy to know.

In actual fact, I am now tending towards not upgrading, disappointing for the Chunkers family but I suspect a sound money-saving decision!

Cheers guys!

Chunks
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 06:14:17 PM by Chunkers »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2015, 06:04:51 PM »

I would like to see Chunkers BT availability check https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ you may have to use the postcode checker.

Here it is  ;D

And here is a summary of my line stats under ADSL2

Operational Mode   ADSL2+
Upstream   980
Downstream   9480
SNR Margin(Upstream)   5.3
SNR Margin(Downstream)   2.3
Line Attenuation(Upstream)   23.6
Line Attenuation(Downstream)   42.5

Living in the beautiful countryside has its downsides :)

Chunks
As a marginal contributor knowledgewise, I am wondering if Zen are like Plusnet in their FTTC speed estimates, and use the lower clean figures, and not the higher as do BT. Even then the higher do not appear to give great benefit  downstream.

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2015, 07:08:55 PM »

As a marginal contributor knowledgewise, I am wondering if Zen are like Plusnet in their FTTC speed estimates, and use the lower clean figures, and not the higher as do BT. Even then the higher do not appear to give great benefit  downstream.

The problem with these rates is that they are usually reduced after some months (crosstalk mainly) which leaves ISPs dangling in the breeze in terms of misselling. For example Sky have my maximum rate at 72Mbps (that's what it was when they sold it to me and what still shows in "MySky"), but BT have changed the estimates for my line to 64Mbps. Were I to complain of misselling then Sky are screwed.

The line syncs at 80Mbps but the fact remains that BT have decreased the maximum rate estimate for my line by 12% - its not any ISPs fault that BT are incapable of implementing vectoring but none the less the ISPs are the ones who have to deal with this & will get fined if they "mislead" the customer (in reality its BT Wholesale who are doing this IMHO).

Its a fine line though - if you quote a figure in the impacted range (on a new cab) to allow for future crosstalk issues, then other ISPs quote a figure in the A range, the average consumer will say "they can get me a faster connection so I'll go with them". Or you go "bargain basement" like Plusnet to win customers.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]