Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: FTTC speed from ADSL2 performance  (Read 15004 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: FTTC speed from ADSL2 performance
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2015, 05:57:51 PM »

I am surprised that no one has yet suggested that you just talk to Andrews & Arnold Ltd about your current situation and how your current supplier will hold you to ransom if you do transition ADSL ---> VDSL2.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2015, 06:01:58 PM »

I am surprised that no one has yet suggested that you just talk to Andrews & Arnold Ltd

That's because I'm taking pills to attempt to cure such compulsion for evangelism and they appear to be working.  ;D ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2015, 06:04:47 PM »

I am surprised that no one has yet suggested that you just talk to Andrews & Arnold Ltd

That's because I'm taking pills to attempt to cure such compulsion for evangelism and they appear to be working.  ;D ;D

Curses! b*cat's cryptic code has been broken!  :D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2015, 08:06:39 PM »

I am 0.8 km from my cabinet and 1.96km from the exchange as the crow flies.

Find it weird your fttc would be slower than adsl at 800 meters from cabinet my line is 1Km/1000 meters from PCP cabinet and the sync speed is at 33000kbps and adsl was 5000kbps.

there must be some mismatch in zens database  :-\

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2015, 06:00:29 AM »

I am surprised that no one has yet suggested that you just talk to Andrews & Arnold Ltd about your current situation and how your current supplier will hold you to ransom if you do transition ADSL ---> VDSL2.
I am not sure who they are tbh, are they an ISP? - I will search for them on this forum for context :)
I am quite committed to Zen so switching would be a little complicated, they host my website, my email and changing my fixed IP would be a bit of a pain but I would consider it if there was a 'win' at the end of it.

@Chunkers have you considered a second line? I have three lines combined to give triple speed upstream and downstream. (Even triple speed on eg. a single TCP connection). It's a bit expensive, but absolutely transforms the usability of the Internet connection and makes it far more reliable too.
Thats a really cool suggestion, I might have trouble getting it past Mrs Chunkers though.

Find it weird your fttc would be slower than adsl at 800 meters from cabinet my line is 1Km/1000 meters from PCP cabinet and the sync speed is at 33000kbps and adsl was 5000kbps.
there must be some mismatch in zens database  :-\
That's kind of where I was, but I am have pressed Zen on email regarding the predicted numbers (they have always been very good on the support side with me) and they seem confident in the numbers i.e. a drop in speed.

As always very much appreciate the responses from you guys, very cool <need thanks/rep button!>

Cheers

Chunks

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2015, 11:57:35 AM »

I see absolutely no reason why the speed would drop, unless you're a former exchange only line, and even then it would be a very odd occurrence. less copper = more speed, it's that simple, even if the speed increase is minor. Even if you cant get the higher tones, the reduced amount of copper in the circuit would result in higher bitloading of the lower tones.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2015, 09:10:07 PM »

A couple of users on this forum use AA (AA.net.uk) as their ISP, I am one of them. They can tie multiple lines together for you to make a truly n times faster pipe, in the sense that even a single transfer made by one user is n times faster, in both directions. The lines don't need to be of identical speeds, they combine up to give their true sum, not just n times the slowest. The lines can be over different carriers.

I am notorious for recommending them a lot, hence the joke earlier, but I have no commercial connection with them other than just being a very happy user.

Unfortunately they are not cheap, but you get what you pay for in that they are obsessed with giving the maximum speed with no compromise and this costs.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2015, 10:07:16 PM »

I would like to see Chunkers BT availability check https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ you may have to use the postcode checker.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2015, 11:34:12 PM »

<need thanks/rep button!>

No there does not .
Saying thank you  means more.
Thank you for attention.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2015, 04:42:54 AM »

<need thanks/rep button!>

No there does not .
Saying thank you  means more.
Thank you for attention.
I agree.

+1 Rep .......  >:D  :lol:

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2015, 05:54:45 AM »

I would like to see Chunkers BT availability check https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ you may have to use the postcode checker.

Here it is  ;D

And here is a summary of my line stats under ADSL2

Operational Mode   ADSL2+
Upstream   980
Downstream   9480
SNR Margin(Upstream)   5.3
SNR Margin(Downstream)   2.3
Line Attenuation(Upstream)   23.6
Line Attenuation(Downstream)   42.5

Living in the beautiful countryside has its downsides :)

Chunks

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2015, 05:26:35 PM »

> Living in the beautiful countryside has its downsides :)

Try living with 1.75 Mbps d/s! :)

I'm very jealous, Chunkers

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2015, 10:13:40 PM »

Here it is  ;D

That does not compute  :o i'll pass this on to other Kitz users maybe a bad connection from fttc cabinet to pcp cabinet   :-\

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2015, 11:10:02 PM »

Upstream   980
Downstream   9480

Look at the SNRM. Both US and DS are depressed, the DS significantly so. Assuming that the target for the DS SNRM has been down-tweaked, that would account for the elevated DS synchronisation speed. My suspicion is that we are not comparing like with like as the prediction for a VDSL2 service is based on a standard 6 dB SNRM.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2015, 06:20:51 AM »

Upstream   980
Downstream   9480

Look at the SNRM. Both US and DS are depressed, the DS significantly so. Assuming that the target for the DS SNRM has been down-tweaked, that would account for the elevated DS synchronisation speed. My suspicion is that we are not comparing like with like as the prediction for a VDSL2 service is based on a standard 6 dB SNRM.
I am not tweaking my line at this end but my connection is stable even with the low SNRM, does this adjustment get done by the exchange?

Is the implication of my line stats that I might be better off staying with my current arrangement rather than FTTC? Is FTTC more sensitive to this kind of line stability?

My line stability has been awkward e.g. many years ago I had to switch from my old Draytek router to Broadcom based router to get stable connection. Since then it is solid.
My hope was (obviously) since Cabinet 1 is much closer to me than the exchange that I would achieve a better quality connection with FTTC and perhaps eliminate some of the noise or whatever.

Thanks for the advice!

Chunks

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 07:05:18 AM by Chunkers »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything