Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: FTTC speed from ADSL2 performance  (Read 15007 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: FTTC speed from ADSL2 performance
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 04:46:28 PM »

I'm more curious about the blurred-out sign now ?? Is it a rude name or something ??  :)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2015, 04:59:15 PM »

I was determined to find the precise location of WNTW_P1.

After a significant period of Cat Cursing at Google Maps, Street View, the cabinet was finally found skulking behind a cluster of road signs . . .  :D
Hehe,  that's it alright although I don't think it has been upgraded yet, due this quarter (fingers crossed). I've seen the Openreach vans around regularly including parked there, I'm told to look for a new additional box with stickers on?  It's actually quite a long way back from the sign with loads of space around it.

No idea why the sign is blurred the road goes through Tenbury to Worcester or Leominster in the opposite direction.

Getting excited at home as my kids can't have more than one person on their minecraft server at the moment without it starting to lag,  I'm hoping with some more bandwidth 'up'  we can increase that. I'll also hopefully be able to download some TV from my server when I am away in business..........  It's the small things :)

You should be a detective! (unless you already are)

C

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 05:03:18 PM »

No idea why the sign is blurred the road goes through Tenbury to Worcester or Leominster in the opposite direction.

Because the Google automated systems mistook it for a car registration plate most likely.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 05:04:34 PM »

Perhaps Google consider (A456) to be rude?  :-\

Looking from a slightly different angle, the road signs are quite distinct . . . but is that Walter I see there, making a note of the PCP's location?  :angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2015, 05:09:15 PM »

Because the Google automated systems mistook it for a car registration plate most likely.

Ah right. You live and learn every day. Thank you.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2015, 08:09:23 PM »

Chunkers, keep an eye on www.roadworks.org, put your postcode in and change the duration to 12 months. Have a look at any telephone symbols, and you should be able to spot any scheduled cabinet installs (there's none at the moment).
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2015, 12:37:36 AM »

You can work out your distance from your house to cab 1 with this map tool.
http://www.freemaptools.com/measure-distance.htm
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2015, 05:30:04 AM »

Thanks for all the cool info, I guess its just a waiting game.  SuperFastWorcestershire are surprisingly good at answering emails.  I asked for an update tand they replied:

Quote from: Some Dude at SuperFastWorcestershire
...working towards delivery between October and December 2015.
Please be reminded a risk remains around the Civils  work, however we will continue to keep the website up to date.....

Ironically the cabinet status on their website hasn't been update for months. I will go Huawei 3B hunting on ebay in the mean time .......

C

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2015, 02:16:29 PM »

Hello again  ;D

Sorry to necro my old thread but I was hoping for some further advice.

Good news : My cabinet has been enabled and I am now in a position to get FTTC  :)
Bad news : I communicated with Zen asking about the potential speed and they have advised me it will be slower than my current ADSL  :(

I must admit I am struggling a bit to get my head around this.

Quote from: Chunkers to Zen
I also notice that the predicted speed estimate for faster broadband
seems to be lower than the speed I currently achieve on ADSL - is there
a risk that Faster broadband may be slower for me? I am guessing this is
just because it is a prediction!

Quote from: Zen to Chunkers
Thank you for your enquiry in regards to the fibre availability. 
As you rightly pointed out the estimated speeds on fibre broadband are just 5mb as opposed to the ADSL being 8mb at present.  The reason for this, is that your cabinet is closer to the exchange than to your premises, meaning more copper than fibre is available to you.

I wouldn’t be confident that an upgrade to fibre would actually benefit you in anyway unfortunately. Most people upgrade to fibre so the connection is quicker but it wouldn’t in this case.

Really?

Surely as my cabinet is definitely significantly closer to me than my exchange then I am going through less copper and it is bound to be faster <Caution : I might have this horribly wrong>

I appreciate nothing is guaranteed but am I wasting my time even thinking about going for the upgrade?

Help!

Chunkers

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2015, 02:37:26 PM »

Use the mapping tool I put on above to find out.
I think if you ordered it and was below spec I think ? you have 14 days to go back to ADSL2.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2015, 02:55:26 PM »

I am 0.8 km from my cabinet and 1.96km from the exchange as the crow flies.

Looking at this overnight I remain sceptical about the speed estimate given that my line performs better on ADSL than estimated, according to 'generic' estimator based on distance if you are 1 km from your cabinet then estimated speed is in the region of 24.

All I need is a modem as I have separate router / modem setup so I am tempted to buy a cheap modem and take the plunge as I can aways switch back to ADSL2 if it doesn't work out well.  I don't want to miss an opportunity.

Not sure why Zens speed estimate seems so pessimistic (or maybe I am overly optimistic).

Cheers big ears,

Chunks
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 05:33:03 AM by Chunkers »

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2015, 02:31:17 PM »

Use the mapping tool I put on above to find out.
I think if you ordered it and was below spec I think ? you have 14 days to go back to ADSL2.

I have been told that I have to agree a 12 month contract up-front and that the BT speed estimate below is accurate (even though the ADSL marginally underpredicts my current speed).  This means that I can't actually try my line without committing to a 12 month contract. something I am not going to do. I thought I might be able to get a technician to test my line or something, but apparently not.

<my router reported speed is currently 9480 / 980>

Sadly, it looks like my best option is sticking with my ADSL 2+

Chunks

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2015, 04:32:59 PM »

A Draytek Vigor 130 can do both ADSL2 and VDSL2 so it might be a good choice for FTTC.

For ADSL only, you could do worse than the DLink DSL-320B in modem-only mode (important). Available preconfigured for modem mode from the Andrews & Arnold shop at   http://aa.net.uk/broadband-accessories.html
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 04:43:59 PM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2015, 04:53:51 PM »

@Chunkers have you considered a second line? I have three lines combined to give triple speed upstream and downstream. (Even triple speed on eg. a single TCP connection). It's a bit expensive, but absolutely transforms the usability of the Internet connection and makes it far more reliable too.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 05:59:38 PM by Weaver »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything