Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: FTTC speed from ADSL2 performance  (Read 15006 times)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
FTTC speed from ADSL2 performance
« on: September 06, 2015, 08:16:37 AM »

I remember I saw only a marginal improvement when I upgraded from ADSL to ADSL 2 on my rather rubbish line.  I hope soon to have FTTC enabled in our area (Tenbury Wells) - could my line prevent me from enjying the benefits? :

Operational Mode   ADSL2+
Upstream   980
Downstream   9480
SNR Margin(Upstream)   5.3
SNR Margin(Downstream)   2.3
Line Attenuation(Upstream)   23.6
Line Attenuation(Downstream)   42.5

I don't understand enough about how vDSL works, is it more sensitive to line issues or less i.e. is upgrading a no-brainer or is it possible I may end up with worse performance or slower speeds than currently on ADSL2?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Chunkers

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: FTTC speed from ADSL2 performance
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 08:58:20 AM »

It all depends how far your are from your street cab and the quality of the line from the cabinet to your home.

Basically Adsl comes from the exchange, VDSL comes from the street cabinet. You'd have to have a very bad line or be over a mile from your cabinet to not get any improvement,  so it's highly likely you'll get a big improvement.

Have you put your number in here, but don't enter any spaces. You may get an estimated speed shown.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If your number is not recognised try the address checker, link is at the bottom but don't use just the postcode as it's not accurate.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 09:03:34 AM »

As Ronski says ^^^^^ By way of a PS ... you have a very low DS SNR, is your connection stable ??

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 10:00:25 AM »

My line is stable with my current Broadcom based Billion router, I have had problems with other chipsets.

Whenever I get an estimate from websites it is always below what I see IRL e.g. the website you linked gives this :

I was just curious, I am definitely closer to the cabinet than the exchange (duh! hehe) so fingers crossed I guess.

Really appreciate the replies.

Chunks

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 10:18:58 AM »

If you can locate your cabinet and possibly trace the route the cable takes from the cabinet to your home, you can get an indication of the cable length. You're connected to cabinet number 1, and this number should be painted on the cabinet so you can identify it.
  Eric

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 10:22:54 AM »

My checks show your cabinet is located in postcode WR15 8DL  and is funded by BDUK, so you won't get a speed estimate until it goes live, it's also a Huawei cabinet which is good news for you. I've looked on Google street view but can't see a cabinet, so the location could be wrong.

Cabinet P1      FTTC Planned (exchange ready 24th October 2013)      Phase BDUK Worcestershire 14a             Huawei      WR15 8DL 
Cabinet P2      FTTC Planned (exchange ready 24th October 2013)      Phase BDUK Worcestershire 14b             Huawei      WR15 8AQ 
Cabinet P3      FTTC Planned (exchange ready 24th October 2013)      Phase BDUK Shropshire 12b             Huawei      SY8 4LP 
Cabinet P4      FTTC Planned (exchange ready 24th October 2013)      Phase BDUK Shropshire 12b             Huawei      WR15 8AG 
Cabinet P5      FTTC Planned (exchange ready 24th October 2013)      Phase BDUK Worcestershire 14a             Huawei      WR15 8DA 
Cabinet P6      FTTC Planned (exchange ready 24th October 2013)      Phase BDUK Worcestershire 14a             Huawei      WR15 8BJ 
Cabinet P7      FTTP Planned                                                                                            SY8 3BU 
Cabinet P8      FTTC Planned (exchange ready 24th October 2013)      Phase BDUK Shropshire 12b             Huawei      WR15 8LG 
Cabinet P9      FTTC Planned (exchange ready 24th October 2013)      Phase BDUK Shropshire 13a             Huawei      WR15 8AB 

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 10:28:12 AM »

From Eric's observations that you are fed from Cabinet 1 ....... I can confirm this Cab is located at the junctions of  Bromyard Rd and Cross St .... opposite the pub.

The Cab if approximately 950mtrs from the Exchange, so although I don't know your address, I would hazard a guess you are well within 300mtrs of the Cab, which is the average distance one gets the full FTTC speeds before it begins to shelve off.  :)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 10:36:05 AM »

You guys are so helpful!

According to Google maps my house is 0.9 miles from that cabinet, in fact I know exactly where it is, just outside the Pembroke - I walk past it regularly!

Do you mind if I ask why Huawei is good for me?

Great info, thanks

C

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 10:46:18 AM »

oooh, my bad, I would have thought it was well under the 0.5mile mark. It was just a quick guess though going off your existing speed.

Huwaei vendors are considered better than their sister ECI vendors, basically due to their ability to accept new technologies such as G.INP and G.Vectoring.
There's a million debates about it within KITZ forums.  :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 11:27:54 AM »

Well if the route your telephone line takes is 0.9 miles, which is 1440 meters then your speeds are not going to be great and it really depends on the quality of the telephone line. At a pure guess you'd be looking at about double on your current downstream, and perhaps 2 to 3 times more on your upstream, but this really does depend on the quality of the telephone line from the cabinet.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 12:08:33 PM »

oooh, my bad, I would have thought it was well under the 0.5mile mark. It was just a quick guess though going off your existing speed.

Huwaei vendors are considered better than their sister ECI vendors, basically due to their ability to accept new technologies such as G.INP and G.Vectoring.

I've spoken to quite a number of Openreach engineers who prefer ECI cabinets. Is there any reason for that?

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 12:11:17 PM »

Well if the route your telephone line takes is 0.9 miles, which is 1440 meters then your speeds are not going to be great and it really depends on the quality of the telephone line. At a pure guess you'd be looking at about double on your current downstream, and perhaps 2 to 3 times more on your upstream, but this really does depend on the quality of the telephone line from the cabinet.

TBH I would be pretty happy with this, would certainly be worth the investment.  My ISP is Zen and they provide a Technicolor TG589vn which I would probably try and use as a modem in bridged mode (if it has one) - would this be a good option?

As I mentioned I have found performance on my line currently varies considerably with differernt modems under ADSL2 - whcih do you think is my best choice e.g. should I match the exchange cabinet and try and get a Huawei one?

Cheers!

C

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 01:50:28 PM »

I've spoken to quite a number of Openreach engineers who prefer ECI cabinets. Is there any reason for that?

Yes ..... they're on drugs.

You need to spend a little time reading the forums to gauge the feeling ..... but even when we have to liaise with our DCoE (Diagnostic Centre of Excellence), the advisor's will give a small 'tut' when they realise they're having to deal with an ECI DSLAM. Everything takes longer for them to do what they need to do, and they need to open more systems than they would on a Huwaei DSLAM.

All little things I suppose, but along with other things that I've already mentioned, IMHO Huwaei is the better deal. Of course, BT had to have at least two vendors supplying the equipment for competitive/pricing reasons.  :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 04:08:57 PM »

TBH I would be pretty happy with this, would certainly be worth the investment.  My ISP is Zen and they provide a Technicolor TG589vn which I would probably try and use as a modem in bridged mode (if it has one) - would this be a good option?

As I mentioned I have found performance on my line currently varies considerably with differernt modems under ADSL2 - whcih do you think is my best choice e.g. should I match the exchange cabinet and try and get a Huawei one?

Cheers!

C

You could try and get a HG612 Huawei modem (this will allow full access to stats) off Ebay, they are easy to unlock so don't waste money getting an unlocked one, and take your time as you should easily get one for under £15. You want a 3B model, these have white power supplies, earlier models had black power supplies.

I've found that the Zyxel VMG8324-B10A Modem/router gives a better performance on my line, but it would appear different modems suit different lines better, so there's no way to say which would be best.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 04:27:53 PM »

I was determined to find the precise location of WNTW_P1.

After a significant period of Cat Cursing at Google Maps, Street View, the cabinet was finally found skulking behind a cluster of road signs . . .  :D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 04:30:41 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4