Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Not a sea-change, but worth noting for reference purposes.  (Read 5865 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Not a sea-change, but worth noting for reference purposes.
« on: September 04, 2015, 07:51:11 PM »

CP engineers working on our network
After consultation with our CPs, we’ve agreed that their engineers – once accredited to our quality standards – will be able to carry out four very specific tasks on our network:

1. Replacing a damaged NTE5
2. Installing a new NTE5 to replace an obsolete version or where no NTE exists (does not include providing service)
3. Moving an NTE5
4. Removing non-compliant star wiring from a NTE5

Why we’re doing this
Following a successful proof of concept trial with three CPs, we were able to demonstrate that it improved customer satisfaction (for CPs and end customers), reduced the number of ineffective Openreach visits and will speed up of the roll out of the new NTE5.

When this will happen
A policy change will take effect from Monday 7 September and all of our CPs will be able to participate.

What about if there are subsequent faults from poor workmanship
It’s important to state that there were no issues identified during the proof of concept. However, if a fault is reported on a line worked on by a CP’s engineer - and poor workmanship is to blame - a TRC will be raised by an automated process. The process works by checking the clear code used by our engineer who goes to fix the fault.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Not a sea-change, but worth noting for reference purposes.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 08:31:15 PM »

So now a Sky engineer can install sky broadband, which will stop the poor souls (EU) being confused if Openreach were to have turned up  :)
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 08:38:32 PM »

So now a Sky engineer can install sky broadband, which will stop the poor souls (EU) being confused if Openreach were to have turned up  :)

'Sky engineer' isn't that an oxymoron  ;D ;D :D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 04:07:48 AM »

who is the third CP?

talktalk and sky would seem the obvious first 2, definitely sky for sure as they already employ engineers.

BT/plusnet probably wont be one as it would be duplication of resources.

What I can see happening now is also any faults will have their own engineer come first to rule out equipment, to avoid openreach charges on a proper visit.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 07:32:19 AM »

Ha ha ..... in the truest sense of the meaning.  ;) ;D

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 07:50:48 AM »

Ha ha ..... in the truest sense of the meaning.  ;) ;D

;D ;D

I was a Sky 'luser' once.
I was forced to take a sky Broadband package when 'Be' was sold off by O2.
Got a free years Broadband & sky TV Everything but the Films & Sport package.
(Did it to get the free Broadband & free Dish install)
Sky were so bad and their support so useless I am not sure I was up on the deal  ;D  :D
I got a drop in speed just by being transfered without any change in home kit.
The service changed with a small loss of service and the sync speed dropped.
Sky were so helpful .......... Hang on ..... correction ..... Sky were a useless bunch of T****  :( >:(
I suffered for a year them jumped ship to Plusnet when Fibre was available.

Plusnet  ...... another story  (Promise, Potential & Disappointment.)
With a never ending set of maintenance events that are so regular you could sync an Atomic Clock against them. :no: :no: :-X

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 07:52:12 AM »

Why would this reduce the number of ineffective Openreach visits? Will Openreach not fit an NTE5 to replace an old LJU master or get rid of old star wiring unless they can charge someone for doing it? I suppose fitting the latest NTE5 would be part of the broadband optimisation / health check service which we're supposed to pay extra for the Harmonised Repair product, and charging extra for something you'd do anyway wouldn't really work.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 08:47:45 AM »

I'm also curious who the third CP is.  Sky & TT are the obvious as both already have their own engineers.   The third I cant think - unless its one of the regionals.

It could be both a good and bad thing.  It could well improve some lines, the downside could be if the SP decides they are going to send one of their engineers round to check things like internal wiring etc before calling in Openreach, so it could lengthen the fault to fix process in some cases.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 11:48:40 AM »

BT have said they are monitoring the 'bad fixes', they will also be monitoring the 'no fixes'.
There will be pressure to send an engineer out 1st to avoid racking up a high 'no fix' count.
['no fix' = could of fixed but passed it on to OR]

NB. OR will be expecting a high volume of simple calls to be picked up by the CP's, the price of giving them the ability to quickly solve simple problems and improve customer satisfaction. This will soon be used in advertising to show they are better than the competion.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 02:46:53 PM »

yeah not sure I consider this a good thing as I can for sure forsee them sending out non openreach engineers first deliberately for non nte5 faults.

Openreach will love this because they under pressure from ofcom to improve their delays and missed appointments, this reduces the burden on their workforce.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 03:19:29 PM »

yeah not sure I consider this a good thing as I can for sure forsee them sending out non openreach engineers first deliberately for non nte5 faults.

Openreach will love this because they under pressure from ofcom to improve their delays and missed appointments, this reduces the burden on their workforce.

Otherwise known as 'offloading your pain on someone else'.
It solves a problem and give BT OR a group they can kick around persuade to do more and more, as it is an advantage the CP's will not want to lose.  ;D

Parallels in all industries :D

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 03:15:07 PM »

Gentlefolk,

I certainly welcome this move PROVIDED there is an absolute obligation for all VDSL installs to show the customer the line's performance figures, to comment upon the estimated and achieved performance AND recommend or not house wiring checks and NTE 5 replacement complete with Mk III integral filter faceplate.

In my extending experience far too many EUs are totally ignorant of their line conditions, even though many would not understand the technical detail.
They would however benefit from either "Your line is in perfect condition" or "there are serious problems probably in your internal wiring".

It would be rather nice if all installation engineers could diagnose bridge tap conditions, preferably before and after the NTE change.
If the latter then insist BT Openreach was obliged to take remedial action.

My final recommendation to avoid the needless re-work would be to insist a real paper form was left with the EU detailing the actions taken and the results.

Kind regards,
Walter

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 06:11:05 PM »

My final recommendation to avoid the needless re-work would be to insist a real paper form was left with the EU detailing the actions taken and the results.

Could not agree more.
The fact of having to leave some documentary proof would 'solve' many problems, some of them before they existed  ;D ;D ;)  ::)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 06:36:35 PM »

this has been discussed within ofcom, but openreach are fighting it, they saying if they have to leave receipts from visits to end users, they will do a price increase for callouts.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 08:13:08 PM »

this has been discussed within ofcom, but openreach are fighting it, they saying if they have to leave receipts from visits to end users, they will do a price increase for callouts.
You do have to ask what is the problem, it is not a new idea to document clearly what you did and the result.
The response makes you think that often the callout is just a 'bit of theatre' to keep the customer happy and nothing more.
Why would the creation of some meaningful documentation increase costs ?
It could be no more than an A4 sheet of paper with some checkboxes and a brief covering narrative.
More smoke and mirrors to divert attention from the real issues.  :( >:(
Openreach really see their ultimate customers as a 'problem to be solved' and not an opportunity to convert situations into customer allegiance and profit.
Are there other industries that have the same negative view of their customers to the same degree ?
Pages: [1] 2

anything