Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: CRC errors  (Read 5462 times)

jamesfoley

Re: CRC errors
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 06:31:32 PM »

This morning I moved the power brick to a socket the full cable length away, but it looks like I've introduced a lot more errors now, especially on the upstream. Should moving the power brick actually have any effect at all? Also, I'm struggling to work out how to get MDWS to show historic data. Selecting a date range gives me some sort of broken graph.

As for the extension, it's plastered into the wall, so I can't really trace the cable. Its a rented property so I don't really fancy pulling cables out of the wall ;)

jamesfoley

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 06:46:56 PM »

Okay, so an AM radio at 600khz put about a foot away from my HG612 and its power socket produce an interesting diesel engine sound that is very loud. When I do the same to my router the other side of the room I get the same type of loud noise, but more high pitched (possibly because of the wifi?), so I'm just assuming that is the usual interference of those devices. The modem and the router are the only things in the room that seem to make this noise though.

Is there something specifically I should be listening out for?

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 06:55:14 PM »

In my experience of REIN, you'll be able to here it over multiple frequencies.

If you can hear it just at 612KHz, I doubt if it is service affecting.

I had a faulty router for instance, which could be heard on all AM frequencies when you were near to it. That was a clear REIN source.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2015, 07:05:01 PM »

Okay, so an AM radio at 600khz put about a foot away from my HG612 and its power socket produce an interesting diesel engine sound that is very loud. When I do the same to my router the other side of the room I get the same type of loud noise, but more high pitched (possibly because of the wifi?), so I'm just assuming that is the usual interference of those devices.

That sounds like (pun intended) their switching-mode power supplies and does not indicate a problem with either device.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jamesfoley

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2015, 09:04:16 PM »

Cheers for the help guys. Doesn't really look like its going to be something my side that I'll be able to sort so its just a case of leaving it be and hoping they don't get worse over time.

I guess I could try a different modem, or modem/router combo like a Billion or something, no idea if they'd handle errors any differently. I know I didn't really have any issues with the Home Hub 5a (apart from its lack of features and poor wifi), but not being able to see full line stats bugged me a little, for all I know I could have been seeing the same error count on the HH without realising it.

jamesfoley

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 01:16:43 PM »

Does anyone know if the CRC error count can be read from a HH5? Had a look around but couldn't find an answer. I know RouterStatsHub exists which claims to record them, but figured it was worth asking before I go around and swap out my hardware.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 08:43:14 AM »

I don't think the HH5A outputs any error counts on FTTC so RouterStatsHub5A is unable to graph them.

It may be possible for ADSL though.

jamesfoley

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 09:46:35 AM »

Ah alright, thats fair enough. Annoyingly thats the only other hardware I have to test on the line, maybe I'll treat myself to a decent VDSL modem and router combo.

Something I have noticed though is my SNRM no longer dips in the evenings, but I'd really like to know what the cause of the errors could be as I'm really not far from the cab at all :(
Pages: 1 [2]