Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DLM Caution counter  (Read 4392 times)

andyfitter

• Reg Member
DLM Caution counter
« on: April 09, 2015, 07:10:31 PM »

Does anybody know the maximum duration the DLM caution counter can extend to? This document mentions 64 days, but I've not seen this figure mentioned anywhere else

https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Fibre-Optic-Broadband-FTTC-What-is-DLM-and-how-does-it-work

I had a DSL-AC68U on my line for a few months and got really hit by DLM for the whole period. Im wondering how many days/months it might take for DLM to give me back my correct speed now I have an HG612 instead.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: DLM Caution counter
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 07:12:50 PM »

I got no idea what the maximum is and with the recent changes to DLM its possible if someone knows what it used to be that may no longer be accurate.

If its a first occurrence it should recover quickly also banding seems to take longer to recover than interleaving.

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 03:52:14 PM »

So, I've been stuck at a banded 66999 down for more than two months now. Downstream snrm hovers around 8dB. G.INP applied since 16th March.

Is there anything obvious in my DSL Webstats (Andyf) that might give any clues why I don't get some downstream back and thus my snrm drop to the usual 6dB?

Thanks in advance

Andy.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 12:23:52 PM »

So, I've been stuck at a banded 66999 down for more than two months now. Downstream snrm hovers around 8dB. G.INP applied since 16th March.

Is there anything obvious in my DSL Webstats (Andyf) that might give any clues why I don't get some downstream back and thus my snrm drop to the usual 6dB?

Thanks in advance

Andy.

I've been stuck a banded speed a while back for what seemed almost a year. Then around December/January I was suddenly back up to 80/20 again at the time (from 60/20 fastpath).

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 10:46:59 PM »

And I'm still banded at 66999 down with an snrm between 7 and 8. Been like it for 6 months now. Had both forms of G.Inp applied and nothing changed. I figure a DLM reset is all that will shift it.

Bah.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 11:14:41 PM »

We would need to see your errored second count for the downstream over a typical 24 hour period, so if you have some stats post them here.

As in most cases the error count is important to the DLM if it's amber then no change will happen on your line and banded at 67000 kbps sync rate with 1-2 dB over the target margin of 6dB only shows you have a minimal gain if the target margin was set to 6dB.

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 07:51:55 AM »

Thanks. I realise there's not a lot to gain from a few dB, I just get a bit annoyed when I'm possibly being limited for no specific reason (Apart from all the other obvious limitations that the line has - Plusnet's margin etc)

If anybody is interested, my stats are on mdw as 'andyf'. They are a bit patchy at times as I've been experimenting with different hosts to do the uploading.

My line length is about 500m I believe, so I think Im actually getting a pretty good connection considering that. It's a new development, and I think they put in new copper from the box when it was built three years ago.

Andy.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 02:44:53 PM »

It's probably the max you can get because of the db situation.

I'm in a similar situation. I sync at around 65000 down and 21000 up. I'm at 6.3db down / 6.4db up. at 800metres.

I think its mostly the db that holds us back. My error count is under the safe value yet DLM never tries to take interleaving off (its only on the download). I suspect I'm at my limit on this line.

So until G.fast comes along and brings fibre closer, we might be stuck at this rate.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 04:33:52 PM »

I've been banded for months with several dB of spare SNRM, but DLM shows no interest in removing the banding.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 08:35:20 PM »

his document mentions 64 days, but I've not seen this figure mentioned anywhere else

I think that info is dated.   It can remove the next day if it wants.   It all depends on your history and it waits longer each time before putting back.  You must be green for the complete period, one day just into amber could start the count again :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything