Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: line sync and probale speed  (Read 13848 times)

gary

• Just arrived
Re: line sync and probale speed
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 10:09:24 AM »

13/09/2006
14:56:44    Customer    CONT: Router setup information provided

Hi

My 10 day traing period ends today for max adsl,however i seem to be encountering problems with speeds issues.

Since the upgrade my router has synched at a steady 2100-2200 figure(i have been checking constantly),but my max download speed seems to be at 117kB,which as you know is near enough 1mb,this is my first problem.

1.I should be set on a profile by now of either 1.5mb or 2mb with that steady sync?,and it looks to be set at 1mb.

2.through various times of the day my speed goes down to 20-30kB frequently from the stable 117 i have been attaining,this is also an issue that needs fixing pls?

Also could you tell me what my profile is set at,as this should be the one thats cast in stone now when my testing period ends today sometime,and if it is 1mb,why?

Thx,ill keep this ticket open as it may be an ongoing thing until things can be altered.

---------------------------------------------------------

14/09/2006
09:31:44    Technical Support    Hi Gary,

Your account profile has no bearing on the speeds you can obtain - ie, if we had your profile set to 512K but the line was provisioned at 2MB, you would still get 2MB speeds - the profile here reflects your billing.

After the line training has settled, the speeds you get should be at least in excess of 1MB - can you provide the speed results you see from the site speedtester.bt.com - making note of the required change to your ADSL login prior to running the test?

Kind Regards,
Paul
Technical Support

-----------------------------------------------------

Could be the start of a long day?  :(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 10:20:34 AM »

There seems to be a little confusion here, Gary. The BRAS profile which we've been talking about is set automatically by the BT equipment, not by the ISP. Sometimes it can get stuck, in which case BT can unstick it manually; to get this done you have to go through your ISP, who can ask BT to do it.

The reply from Technical Support clearly has a misunderstanding in thinking that you were talking about their account profile for you (something quite different). It might still be worth going through the rather tedious process of using the BT speedtester, but really I think you need to wait a few more days for the training period to settle.

Eric
  Eric

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 10:29:23 AM »

Hmm...

It may well be that the profiling at the ISPs end is nothing to do with speeds. Some ISPs do this, some don't.

An ISP has no direct control over the BT BRAS profile setting (which does affect your speed) so they can't change it.

The new BT speedtester now reports sync speed as you know - or should I say, the sync speed as recorded by BT, rounded down to the next 'step'. For example, I synced at 7100 twice, and suddenly the sync speed recorded was 6816kbps, and my IP profile was set at 6000.

Any low speeds could be (a) the result of contention on the line or (b) the result of line errors on your line. I've looked back and see a large number of errors in your screenshot. Your router is obviously based on the same Texas Instruments AR7 chipset that the Netgear DG834v2 is based on. Good at maintaining sync at low SNR values.. the errors will ramp up though and you will get poor speeds - but at least you don't lose sync. This happens to me - presumably it's happening to you too, judging by that amount of errors!

Hope this helps? :)
Chris

gary

• Just arrived
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2006, 12:21:41 AM »

Hello again all

Just a final update to my adslmax tribulations to all those that are interested.

First of all a big thankyou to all that have contributed in this thread,your help as been invaluable,and in all honesty i would still probaly be sat here with crap speeds now if it wasent for you guys,and a few other on diff forums.

The end result is i now have a bras of 1500 and a download speed of 176kB/s with a stable connection.I had a slight prob with it being stuck on a 1000 after testing period,but seems to be upgraded today after chasing up isp.

All in all i am happy with that speed considering my poor line to exchange(63 atten,snr 3-5),and it a lot quicker that the 60kB/s most isps were saying thats all i could get.

I couldent finish this post without slipping 1 more question in  ;),im greedy and want to eek my profile up to 2000,my router is synching around the 2100 mark,and steady....i may be wrong but i read somewhere the threshold for a 2000 bras is around the 2200 mark?,is there any possibility at all of me raising my router sync,just that little more to see if i can get the 2000?

I also read here that resyncing at certain times of the day will give you a better chance of a higher sync,what are the best times pls,and what sort of increase/decrease will be applicable if hitting the best and worst times of day?

thankyou again all

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2006, 01:31:28 AM »

2272 is the old fixed rate for 2Mb, so it's kinda nearer 2300. Basically the best time of the day to sync is when your SNR is reporting at its highest value, and only then if it's above 6dB, otherwise you will probably see a drop in speed. There's no pattern to it, although a lot of people find their SNR decreases at night due to more interference being around.

Then of course you've gotta hope that the SNR doesn't go down enough to force your router to resync.

You'd have to maintain a steady sync of > 2272 for at least 3 days in order to qualify for a 2Mb BRAS profile - no mean feat with your line stats!

A word to the wise - don't be tempted to keep rebooting too many times in a day or else your line may be throttled to a really low rate (I've seen reports of some going down to 160kbps!) and would be stuck there for 3 days - not nice!
Chris
Pages: 1 [2]

anything