Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 data slurp  (Read 13644 times)

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 data slurp
« on: September 01, 2015, 08:27:33 PM »

A few microsoft updates released recently need careful reading of the KB article before installing I think.... more info on the register.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/01/microsoft_backports_data_slurp_to_windows_78_via_patches/

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 data slurp
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 08:56:33 PM »

This was anticipated by many as soon as the Win10 situation came clear.

Not Surprised at all.

Lots of strange updates were made prior to the official Win10 for Free Campaign on Win 7 & 8.
They were the prep for the rollout no doubt.
Hence the lack of explanations for Updates which has spread to Win 7 & 8.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 08:58:29 PM »

this is disturbing  :no:

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 09:07:43 PM »

As I have said many times, MS is going for broke to emulate and surpass the monitisation of Users by Google, Apple and others.
They are aiming squarely at the 'lost' sales due people running 'Not so Kosher' software.
Retrospectively , they are waving the big stick and 75+ Million people have opened the door and let them in freely and legally. [Win 10 Eula]
In usual USofA style they will now 'shoot down' a few 'Innocent bystanders' because the process will be a bit crude but false positives are OK, after all 'Money is money !!!!!'.

Surely, this must get some visibility with the masses now!

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 10:17:05 PM »

As I have said many times, MS is going for broke to emulate and surpass the monitisation of Users by Google, Apple and others.

Google, yes, obviously.   But Apple?   Can you cite a specific example  of Apple 'data slurping' to illustrate the comparison?

Having said it many times does not make it true.  ;)

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 10:24:14 PM »

Google, yes, obviously.   But Apple?   Can you cite a specific example  of Apple 'data slurping' to illustrate the comparison?

iphones were transmitting user's gps location to apple at one point, and the amount of data iphones used to use for 'housekeeping' was fairly astronomical, dont know if thats still the case.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 10:56:56 PM »

Of course Apple use location data to make some features work.

If I ask Siri 'How far is the nearest Tesco', and it tells me, then obviously Apple has used my location.   I don't see the comparison with current allegations about Microsoft, which seem to be accused of uploading customer data for no obvious reason.

Another big difference, from what I have read is, it is very easy to disable iOS location services either globally or on a per-App basis.  It is not hidden away, it is found in the obvious place..   'Privacy', 'location services'. :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 11:18:04 PM »

:(

And how many people will actually read the KB articles relating to updates?
I dont.  :no:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 11:23:46 PM »

Agreed.

Moreover it has come to be recommended as 'good practice', and for understandable reasons, to always enable fully automatic updates.   I have never enabled auto updates,  not for any OS, and I begin to feel vindicated.   :graduate:

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 11:27:12 PM »

@sevenlayermuddle
We are going to forever disagree.
You see no fault from anything Apple do.
Fine. Your view. Not everyone else's view though.
As I can only quote what I read on the web, you will obviously disagree and call it lies.

Here is a random result from searching for 'Apple Data Slurp' ...... 1st result.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/27/icloud_data_grab_irks_privacy_conscious/

I can search and list others but you will disagree.
Neither you nor I work for Apple and are privy to the secrets therein, so all we have are opinions based on what we can find.

Rather than constantly disagreeing, lets leave it as read that you 100% refute anything I say about Apple.
People can equally refute anything said about Google and MS. (100% or less :) )

Lets eliminate myself from the argument and ask why do other people have similar views about all of them.
Why do all of the 3 companies get the same comments made about them by others.

Is it only true about Google & MS but not about Apple and additionally all the other commentators are guilty of making the same mistake.
I find this unlikely, purely on the basis that there are bound to be people who know more than me who are commenting.
I cannot believe every one of them is making the same mistake as me (from your point of view), it is too improbable.

Once again I raise the question why you feel the need to 'Defend' Apple ?
If it is all lies it does not matter, to Apple or you  ..... as you are right and I am wrong with all the other commentators on the web.
[BTW: Never did get to know what the Logic Errors were in the last discussion we had :) ]

Finally, I will ask you the inverse of your question, show Apple does NOT Data Slurp in similar ways to Google & MS.
This answer, of course, needs to prove that Apple either takes the Data but does not use it or Apple does not take the data at all.
I am not sure how you can do that without being inside Apple and telling me how they work.
(Yes, it does inversely apply to me, but I only need 1 example of any size to defeat the argument 'Apple does not Data Slurp.' :D )

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 11:28:03 PM »

I try but MS are not playing the game anymore  :( >:(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 11:28:48 PM »

The updates are KB3068708 ("Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry" and mandatory) KB3075249 ("Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7") and KB3080149 (also an "Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry", both optional).

Ummm..  just out of curiosity I searched for one of those.  (The one that mentioned Win7)   
The deed is already done for KB3075249.  I haven't checked the others :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 11:33:24 PM »

Play nice please :)

There will always be difference of opinions when it comes to Operating Systems and manufacturers etc.   
Debate all you wish, but try not to let it get personal.

-----

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 11:35:20 PM »

Kitz,

Nothing personal at all.
Please point out where ?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 11:36:30 PM »

@Aardvark, to be clear, Apple are far from perfect.   I have many criticisms of Apple, and  whilst I wholeheartedly recommend iOS to  all, there are actually not that many people to whom I would recommend OS X.   

But as regards privacy, which I thought we were discussing, Apple are a role model for others to follow.   
Pages: [1] 2

anything