Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Update  (Read 4455 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Update
« on: August 26, 2015, 11:57:50 AM »

A partial C&P of an open message, from yesterday. The usual pessimists will probably be all over like a rash, but I personally think it's good news.  :)

Today is the beginning of an exciting new chapter for our network cornerstone which, as we know, is about being nationwide, reliable and fast. And it’s a very exciting time for the residents in Huntingdon who became the first people in the UK to take part in our field trial of ultrafast fibre broadband, powered by ‘G.fast’ technology. The speeds on offer will allow them to stream live ultra-high definition 4K video content to multiple devices at once, all whilst simultaneously browsing the web, uploading videos and photos, or playing online games.

This is the largest trial of G.fast technology in the world and we’re proud to be leading the way, delivering ultrafast broadband to 2,000 homes and businesses covered by the trial in the coming weeks. And like the deployment of superfast, ultrafast fibre will touch many of our engineers who will deliver this technology end to end.

G.fast is capable of delivering a range of speeds depending on how close the technology is to a customer’s premises. It’s already delivering speeds of up to 330Mb/s - more than ten times the current UK average! We expect speeds to then increase to around 500Mb/s as further industry standards are secured and new kit is developed.

G.fast changes the way today’s broadband is transmitted, delivering ultrafast speeds that currently require fibre to be run all the way to the premises (FTTP). This is significant as it will enable Openreach to make ultrafast broadband available to a much larger number of homes and businesses.

CrazyTeeka

• Reg Member
  • A&A Customer - Home::1TB
Re: Update
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 12:17:32 PM »

Wants to be in trial  ;)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 12:25:14 PM »

;D

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 01:00:14 PM »

Pictures of the equipment at the bottom of this story:
http://www.btplc.com/News/#/pressreleases/first-customers-connected-in-trial-of-g-fast-ultrafast-broadband-1206553

I'm not quite jealous enough to want to move ... 80/20 is plenty for us right now, though I'd certainly want to take part if it happened here.
But I'm really antsy to find out the results of the trial, even though I know we won't actually be told much.

As I understand it, G.fast will be installed as an extra service within the trial, so subscribers keep their existing ADSL/FTTC service. I wonder if they are using the existing copper plant, or (like the last technical trial) overlaying separate copper.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 01:17:27 PM »

I think this is a good step in the right direction.

Also I think this new technology arrangement whereby fibre is being extended closer to the property of the end user makes it a difference than just upgrading or boosting speeds on the current technology i.e. over copper lines.

I think a lot of people will want to order a product like G.fast purely for the increased stability and less susceptable interference in connections.

It also represents, hopefully, the final step before a form of FTTP is deployed.

Also the tweaks to G.fast technology as shown in other trials that speeds can be boosted.

It will be interesting to see how fast G.fast can be deployed once it gets the go-ahead.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 01:43:51 PM »

I sort of remain on the fence for this, first g.fast doesnt excite me as I think vdsl2 is easily fast enough for almost everything, FTTP would excite me as that brings reliability alongside guaranteed access speeds.  But this is good news that it brings FTTP closer.

Also I think they will do this as cheap as possible so initially I expect they will only deploy from cabinets and only extending the fiber to poles later on in the rollout.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 02:30:13 PM »

I simply cannot see the point. Surely better to put the money spent into a piggy bank and put it towards the only future-proof solution - full FTTP for whoever asks for it.

Why increase the copper service available only to the "haves" (?) still further?

(Obviously and I hope understandably more than a little biased here.)  :'(

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 02:46:48 PM »

This is been done to compete with virgin media's upcoming speed increases, so its basically to allow BT to market the same speed's.

I just hope they dont follow VM's steps in marketing speeds higher then they can handle, as BT wholesale shared platform is buckling under 80mbit never mind 300mbit.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 05:33:57 PM »

This is been done to compete with virgin media's upcoming speed increases, so its basically to allow BT to market the same speed's.

I just hope they dont follow VM's steps in marketing speeds higher then they can handle, as BT wholesale shared platform is buckling under 80mbit never mind 300mbit.
yes it fills me with dread, BT needs to some serious upgrades to it's network. or it will become something to avoid, TT and Sky will benefit though

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 06:06:16 PM »

I simply cannot see the point. Surely better to put the money spent into a piggy bank and put it towards the only future-proof solution - full FTTP for whoever asks for it.

Why increase the copper service available only to the "haves" (?) still further?

(Obviously and I hope understandably more than a little biased here.)  :'(

I can totally see your point and understand where it is coming from.  ;D
(I was the same 1 year ago)
From BT's Point of view, as stated they need to compete with Virgin, and it just so happens that where they need to compete is where the 'Haves' tend to be.
Once again the solution is short-term and conveniently ignores the people who are always lose because they are pushing copper to its limits.
The objective is to squeeze as much as possible out of the existing Copper infrastructure but at what point do BT run out of options or profit margin from each incremental spend.

I too would like 'Proper' FTTP but I don't see it happening within the next 5 years ..... and possibly longer.  :(
If BT made the decision today to go 100% FTTP how long do you think it would take to roll it out fully ?
(I would guess at least as long as it is taking to roll out FTTC, which is still on-going.)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 06:30:46 PM »

This kind of stuff is too important to be left to the whims of BT's money men and the the randomness of the sacred "market". The government needs to treat this as national infrastructure and just fork out for fibre and lots of it in order to drive costs down with economies of scale.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 06:46:20 PM »

yes it fills me with dread, BT needs to some serious upgrades to it's network. or it will become something to avoid, TT and Sky will benefit though

That's the thing, as G.Fast moves further towards the DP (After the trials have succeeded  ;) ), then the vast majority of the legacy network will be replaced.

Of course, there's always going to be tales of woe ......... but that's just how business is. Some gain, some lose. Blame Maggie.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 10:51:59 PM »

I have just seen this      http://www.ultrafast-openreach.co.uk/
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 03:51:58 AM »

Very nice.

Lucky people if they get on the trial.

anything