Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Win10 build 10532 = fail yet again LOL  (Read 14072 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Win10 build 10532 = fail yet again LOL
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 03:20:06 PM »

Well an update report, a guy with the same issue (but in his case trying to upgrade to win10 from win7), said he googled someone removing hidden volume devices to fix it, so I tried that, I had over 15 hidden generc volume's in device manager, it didnt fix it but the fail point moved to 58%, interesting.  I then removed some hidden sound devices in device manager which said it couldnt detect them on the system, the fail point is now at 55% copying files.

Lots of issues here.

1 - the install process for devices is broken on win10, has happened to too many people.  It worked on win7/8 so not sure what microsoft have changed to break it, possibly that win7 would ignore issues and proceed with install and you would then have to fix manually after install.
2 - the upgrade process to a new win10 build repeats the entire process, why? the OS is already installed, this has a lot of issues, such as the one I am having, but also if someone has spent the time manually fixing drivers, I assume those changes would be undone with the update that refreshes all devices drivers.
3 - why is the installer lying about copying files when its really setting up devices?

So given I have moved the fail point I am guessing this is some kind of device driver issue.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 04:30:33 PM »

3 - why is the installer lying about copying files when its really setting up devices?

I would imagine that the update process is incremental.
The process works out what to install and as the process moves forward kicks off child processes to do the install.
That is why the the 'sliding bar', sits for periods and jumps random amounts :)

It does not look as good to display 'Copying Files and doing other stuff you don't need to know ....' :D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 10:31:15 PM »

Chry i spent about 5 days trying to get the the sound card to play 5.1 sound on windows 10 all it could do was 2.0 and the driver came from manufacture explicitly for windows 10 but it must have been a beta.

No issues with GPU Nvida drivers or motherboard drivers, it does not matter anyway have gone back to windows 8.1  ;)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 11:57:37 PM »

I ran SFC and was a fair few corrupted files, and one file couldnt be repaired because the backup was also corrupted :D.

Since then I have been bench stressing the hardware to make sure ok and its all passing.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 12:09:34 AM »

I ran SFC and was a fair few corrupted files, and one file couldnt be repaired because the backup was also corrupted :D.

Since then I have been bench stressing the hardware to make sure ok and its all passing.

Interesting,

Have you got a backup where the SFC run would complete 100% good ?
It is likely that if there was System file corruptions there will be data corruptions & possibly corruptions in the registry as well.
You need to get to a known good position to start/update from.

The errors could be that the information being read during the update does not make sense.
The errors are basically some code falling through because it is finding something it should not be able to, rather than the actual error it is pointing at being real.
(Baroque sentence structure..... Sorry ;D)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 02:12:04 AM »

I am going to reinstall the OS, I will try this famous built in option to do a clean install as I am curious how clean it is.

Waiting for latest hardware tests to finish.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 02:27:27 AM »

... built in option to do a clean install as I am curious how clean it is.

That will be interesting to see what MS thinks a clean re-install is. :D
Let us know how it goes.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 08:35:20 AM »

Can I ask you all: honestly - why are you bothering?
You (and those on the MSE techie forum) seem to be wasting a lot of your time on this, just about everyone remotely techie should have known it was going to be total screwup.
The fact that it was offered free should have been a red light warning to anyone: effectively those who upgraded are the beta testers, with those on the technical preview program as the alpha testers.

Yes, I can see those who work in mending PC's as a job would need to know the ins and out and all the problems of Win 10.
The rest of us should be leaving it all to everyone ELSE to get all the problems over the next year and then upgrade if you want to in July 2016.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2015, 08:40:16 AM »

@c6em
In a nutshell you are right.
But, there is always the 'pull' of a new OS.
The people who know MS well still want to marvel at the new toys :D no matter what they may expect.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2015, 03:47:42 AM »

haha

well

The update is I initially did a so called clean reinstall the method microsoft claim is the way to go which is to do a reset via the settings, this left directories such as windows.old in place on the c: drive :) and the exact same files were corrupt and not repairable.

I then made a new iso with the media creator tool and did a proper clean install, this time even when I ran sfc before doing anything to the pc it had to fix 2 files, but was able to fix them (there was updates forced down to the pc whilst it was running).

I had to register it again for the inssider testing and waiting for the new build to be offered to me again.

Ram etc. tested fine on my tests and I was quite thorough.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2015, 10:27:30 AM »

Is this the new version thats supposedly coming out in November called Threshold 2? http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-threshold-2-update-now-slated-for-november-launch

Also its interesting you mentioned about generic devices. That's what happened with my HP printer. When I updated to win10 from win7 windows update kept telling me I had 2 updates for my printer. But the updates kept failing and I couldn't figure out why. I went to the HP forum and there was loads of people with the same problem.

I had a clue that something was wrong with the printer issue as I ran the HP update program and it said there was no new drivers for the printer. So I thought how come thats saying no drivers, yet windows is saying 2.

After a while I noticed a post by one guy who said, 1. re-install the original printer driver over the top of the ones installed. 2. go in to device manager and delete the generic printers in the printer section. I found I had 2, which makes sense as there is a printer and fax facilities on the printer and both are listed seperately. After I did that the 2 printer windows updates vanished and all was well.

But from reading that HP forum there was a LOT of people going through the same issues. I do wonder if there is a general device problem when upgrading windows versions. For some reason it doesn't recognise the drivers, or they get corrupted (I installed the same version of driver as what was working in win7).
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2015, 10:53:55 AM »

Latest gem from the MSE techie site on Win10 suggests that if you upgrade a retail copy of win 7/8 to win 10 then you cannot subsequently transfer the win10 install to another computer if you PC packs up - you will have to buy a new win10 licence

So as I see it - and if true of course! you are 'paying' for the free upgrade by having your retail licence converted into a OEM licence - and hence you should only upgrade OEM licences and not retail licences.
You will still of course be able to buy a 'full new retail copy' of win 10 which will be transferable I'd imagine.
See link to the source of this new info - which does claim to be quoting a MS official answer.
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/operating-systems/1403707/windows-7-and-8-retail-users-cant-transfer-windows-10-after-a

« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 10:56:49 AM by c6em »

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2015, 11:26:13 AM »

I can believe this, but we need to wait for full confirmation.
i.e. Some MS bod is prepared to put his/her name to a official quote.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2015, 02:48:52 PM »

yeah this was in the news before release, the retail licenses are converted to OEM.  The fact you dont get a key backs this up, when I clean reinstalled win10 I didnt put in a key it just remembered the activation for the hardware.

I made sure i didnt waste any of my win7 ultimate keys on this machine, used up a spare pro key.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2015, 03:14:10 PM »

The fact you dont get a key backs this up, when I clean reinstalled win10 I didnt put in a key it just remembered the activation for the hardware.

I thought the idea was that no-one got a key and win10 creates a unique key on the basis of the hardware config. (Unique HD serials etc etc etc ....)
The idea being if MS recognise the unique ID, you are activated on install of win10.
If the unique id is not recognised you will be pointed/pushed to buy the appropriate license.

I thought it was an attempt to work around all the hacks/cracks that enable you to install windows7/8 for free.

I have not seen a retail win10 install, so this may be all fiction :D :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3