Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Any idea what has caused my Speed Loss  (Read 3953 times)

Terranova667

Any idea what has caused my Speed Loss
« on: August 31, 2015, 07:29:04 PM »

Hi i'm hoping some of the technical minded folks here can maybe figure out what has happened and the reasons behind it.

Ok this is a bit of a long story so I apologise in advanced but i thought it would help to give as much info as possible seeing as i'm on a ECI cab with A ECI modem and no means to post stats that would be beneficial.

Ok I joined plusnet back in March of 2014 with a IP profile of 65Mb down and 10Mb up my estimate then was 67Mb down and 11Mb up so i was glad to see i was not far off the estimate, three months later i get a drop to 50Mb down and 10Mb up Plusnet sent an engineer because a battery fault was detected in their tests yet the engineer couldn't find any fault with the line or the cab etc or the battery fault that Plusnet said there was and because i was still above my estimate range nothing further was done i was told by Plusnet that cross talk was most likely to blame and it was left at that.

upon checking the estimate range when i got the drop i see that it had been altered it no longer was it 67Mb down 11Mb up it was 38Mb down 8Mb up quite a change

Anyway it remained that way until around October 2014 when i got another drop this time it was the upstream from 10Mb to 5Mb, because the drop put my upload below the estimate a engineer was sent he ran some tests found nothing wrong with the line that he could see did a line reset ran tests again upload stayed at 5Mb so he put me on a different pair to the cab ran tests and again upload remained at 5Mb but I did gain 5Mb back on the download so was up to 55Mb which was nice, anyway the engineer couldn't get the upload back up to 10Mb and didn't know why it had gone in the first place and pretty much said that was all i was going to get now i asked if it was crosstalk he said no, i'm not sure if he said that because he didn't really know or that was really the truth.

So since then the IP profile has remained at 55.9Mb down 5Mb up until this morning when I awoke to find that it had dropped to 48.15Mb down but what surprised me more was the upload had gone up to 8.48Mb  :o

I did a modem reset to see if i could gain anything back on the download but only managed a tiny increase to 49.04Mb down 8.58Mb up

I asked plusnet to see if anything was amiss they said nothing was i asked for my line profile to see if Interleaving or banding had been applied but it came back fine no restrictions at all. 

0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

So the questions are what has caused the speed loss this morning and how the hell has the upload magically increased almost a year later when the engineer wasn't able to get anything back himself, it seems like a roll reversal of some kind, is it cross talk related or something else, as i say being on ECI doesn't help as Stats would be really nice but i thought maybe some one had seen something like this before and had an idea,  basically am i stuck with the further download loss, the upload gain is nice but download speed is more important to me  :(

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:32:21 PM by Terranova667 »

Terranova667

Re: Any idea what has caused my Speed Loss
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 08:42:12 PM »

No one have any idea Plusnet support have been as useful as a chocolate teapot basically giving me no answers to why i have lost download and gained back the upload only other thing they would say was the usual that i'm still above estimate that should be good enough  :(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 09:15:14 PM »

Sorry, I've no idea.  :no:

I agree that it does look to be a peculiar sequence of events.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 12:45:02 AM »

a peculiar sequence of events.  :-\

That is Plusnet. !  :D

Terranova667

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 04:48:30 PM »

I did another modem rest this morning just to see if i could get back the download but alas it still held as it were, seems i'm stuck with it for now as i was last year when the upload magically disappeared plusnet are sticking with the cross talk stance even though it doesn't seem it to me i haven't heard of cross talk behaving like this.

Maybe it's a faulty port or pair to the cab i dunno but even if it is i can't get plusnet to get BT Wholesale to send an engineer as i i'm still above my estimate range, maybe when pigs start flying and ECI cabs start to get G.INP enabled it will get things moving back in the right direction  :'(     

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 05:53:46 PM »

I understand, I had the 'estimates dropping' to surprisingly match the drop in performance myself.
You cannot win :(
Your best hope it that you develop a 'real fault' that Plusnet cannot explain away, which is not very good in itself.

My fault was resolved by a HR fault developing which was 'repaired' (ish) and G.INP coming in although that took months after it was removed by the 'Repair'.  :D :D

Terranova667

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 12:21:29 PM »

I had a another drop today download is back down a little to 48.47Mb and the upload has gone again even worse than before to 4.31Mb no clues what is going on, this can't be cross talk I'm trying to see if i can get a Engineer out something not right somewhere.  :(

Terranova667

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 01:10:47 PM »

I raised a fault with Plusnet so lets see what come of it hopefully i get an engineer out and if so maybe this one can find out what's going on.   

Terranova667

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 10:00:25 PM »

I had an engineer out yesterday all he did was reset DLM which of course did nothing and that was it he said he couldn't do anything more

a complete waste of time and i'm no better than i was before he arrived, I'm currently battling with Plusnet support to get another engineer out to actually do some fault finding and not just do the FTTC equivalent of the I.T tech Pc fix of switching it off then back on thinking it will fix the issue,  I'll report back if i get any where with it.  :no:

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 10:13:58 PM »

I suggest you to get unlocked HG612 modem from well known auction site and you will see everything what is going on. It may even gives your better throughput and/or latency. Worth try.

Terranova667

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 01:36:53 PM »

had a another Openreach engineer out today this one really did do some work and was extremely helpful however no further improvements could be made turns out i'm on a Aluminium line not copper and so yeah not good, he changed everything that could be changed to try and get more but it just was having none of it the max attainable on the cab was 105Mb and 80Mb was coming out of the cab it's just when it hit's the aluminium it looses a shed load other than having the line replaced with Copper which isn't going to happen unless it completely dies i'm stuck with what i have. 

I guess now the hope of FTTP will be the only chance to improve things  :'(

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 03:55:14 PM »

Who would possibly get a better upload speed if you changed to a 40/10 product,though there would be no guarantee's  Yes i know minus net don't sell it only the 40/2 variant, which for many would defeat the point of having FTTC as people also need to upload things too, not that they like BT seem to care about that

Terranova667

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 06:14:28 PM »

Hi tommy Upload isn't a major concern for me I much prefer the download aspect as there is plenty of heavy downloading for games PC / PS3 & PS4 that I do so the more i can get for that the better, so although there might be the minutest of chances that the upload could improve on the 40Mb package i don't want to sacrifice the current 47Mb download i now have, yeah It would have been nice if i could have gained back a little more of the download & upload but at least i didn't loose anything further.

the only real concern i now have is what will happen when G.INP gets rolled out i have no idea how it behaves on a aluminium line ie would it make things worse everything i have seen for it only states copper lines same goes for Vectoring
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 06:17:03 PM by Terranova667 »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 09:15:27 PM »

I don't believe you need to be concerned about the aluminium plus g.inp or g.vector. These systems will give you worthwhile improvements regardless.

anything