Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TP-Link Archer VR900 - Review.  (Read 5965 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
TP-Link Archer VR900 - Review.
« on: August 31, 2015, 06:25:46 PM »

TP-Link have recently released a new combined VDSL modem/router in the UK. 
The Archer VR900 contains some decent spec hardware and is a good performer both for its DSL stability and wireless range.  It retails at circa pounds 140

kitz.co.uk has beta testing the VR900 for the past few weeks.  Read our TP-Link Archer VR900 - review
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: TP-Link Archer VR900 - Review.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 06:58:18 PM »

Kitz,

Nice review.

I have the odd bit of TP-Link kit and it has always been good value and performed well.
Pity about the lack of Line stat information.
Not bad if you don't need to collect stats but as you say competitors in the same price range give you the option.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 07:38:01 PM »

Shame there's no Broadcom CLI access.

It seems odd that TP-Link removed access to this and they must have spent some time doing that. I wonder perhaps if they should have spent that time fixing the bugs in the firmware ::)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 09:58:51 PM »

There are a few more bugs that I sent in on Thurs night, but these are minor.. oh and a moan about the CSS which makes the menu and floating bottom bar a bit odd.   But so far they have always come back with fixes pretty quick.  At first I was disappointed with it - particularly some of the bugs in the GUI, but now those are mostly fixed then Im happy to say that on the whole its a decent modem/router.

The lack of stats is a real shame.   Ive noticed that for their routers of late they have replaced the BCM CLI with their own.   This isnt exclusive to the VR900, but as I said in my report its the one feature I really think they could have done better with - especially in that price range. 

Performance is on a par with the HG612, so not quite as good as my Zyxel, and the web GUI isnt as extensive as the VMG8324, but one thing Ive found strange is that I get no Err/Secs and Im not the only one on this.   However unsure if its a reporting bug or not.. because I asked PN to do me a favour and pull my ErrSecs from their DLM reported stats and they are also at zero.   So the jury is out atm whether it is reporting error or the modem is just exceedingly stable.

There's a few of us that have tested and I'll leave the others to say something if they wish,  I think we all agree on is DSL stability (even though bit lower sync than the VMG8324), but I think every single one of us has been a bit blown away by the wireless range.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker