Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is it the weather playing havoc with my FTTC?  (Read 4623 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Is it the weather playing havoc with my FTTC?
« on: August 31, 2015, 01:07:56 PM »

Over the past couple of days I have had horrendous FEC numbers during the early hours of the morning and now today my FEC count is 2000000+/min with loads of CRCs and a few SES and quite a lot of ES. You can see my stats on MDWS. My SNRM down is now 0.8db but still the ZyXEL is holding up (so far). So is it the bad weather right now although the thunderstoorms are now not nearby (off Belgian/Dutch coast and inland in France). The rain has been bad and we've had 0.42 inches since midnight.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: Is it the weather playing havoc with my FTTC?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 02:16:51 PM »

My impression based only on how my connection seems to react are that thunderstorms up to about 100 miles away have a noticeable impact.  Big impacts are however usually when they are with 30 miles.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 03:29:19 PM »

I could understand why it went bad today when they were close but the previous night time problems I dont believe there were any nearby storms. It seems that my line may be affected by heavy rain though.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 04:17:42 PM »

It looks as though the thunderstorms are a red herring, and the problem is ingress of water somewhere between you and the cabinet. If the issue persists I would think that you have a valid case for an OR engineer visit.
  Eric

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 04:50:32 PM »

If your located in Broadstairs then I would not rule out those thunderstorms.  The storms across the channel have been fairly intense and persistent of late.  I would wait until those storms have gone before coming to a firm conclusion.   

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 05:01:22 PM »

No I'm not rushing into anything but I have had a feeling for sometime now that rain adversely affects my line. With DSLStats and my weather station I should be able to correlate rain with high error rates.

Stuart

Just check DSLStats and I had 2750000/min FECs at 17:01 this afternoon and its been like that now for hours, CRCs, SES and ES falling now. The upstream SNRM is stable around 7db but downstream is the one being hit hard currently at 0.5db.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 05:07:51 PM by broadstairs »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 05:15:42 PM »

Is it wise to continue with a DS SNRM of 0.5dB i think not a power off for 30 minutes and then on would be much better for your line.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 06:25:19 PM »

Nstar is right.  It looks like your SNRM  dropped over a half an hour rather than suddenly so it may be fault rather than just cross talk.

forceware

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 06:34:41 PM »

I live near Ashford in Kent and we had thunder and lightning all around us most of last night and this morning, I clocked up 3400es on low interleaved depth that I was put on two weeks ago because of the last storm. Until this past twenty for hours I was cruising to go back on fastpath. But now deeper interleaving for me.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 06:43:07 PM »

I've noticed every time there is a thunderstorm (not just regular rain), my es's start going up more than usual.

I keep a monitor on paper most days. My average during the day from about 10am until 0:30am is between 45 to 55 ES's. But if a thunderstorm comes around then the ES's in that same period can go up by 100 or 200 ES's. Then as the thunder storm settles the ES's slow down again.

Was copper lines always this susceptable to thunderstorms, or is it that we're just noticing the impact more as we're monitoring the line stats more closely these days?

I was under the impression fibre lines didn't suffer interference, so the interference that I'm talking about is coming from the copper line section?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 06:52:54 PM »

yes its the copper, a thunderstorm is a large amount of electrically charged air, that's going to cause interference with copper.

fibre is light flashed down a glass thread, its immune to all conventional forms of interference.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 08:14:07 PM »

Despite what has been suggested I am going to leave it and see what happens. I've been interleaved for ages now but am reluctant to re-sync now when I will likely lose a huge amount of speed to get my SNRM back. If it has not re-synced by the morning I might be tempted but I really object to this half hour wait - why the hell should I have to - it has been up 60+ days so one quick re-sync should not make DLM get involved. Strange thing is I am not seeing an obvious problem with surfing the net!

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 08:17:41 PM »

yes its the copper, a thunderstorm is a large amount of electrically charged air, that's going to cause interference with copper.

fibre is light flashed down a glass thread, its immune to all conventional forms of interference.

Yes but some of the connection to the house is copper in the air. In my case BTW as far as I can tell its only about the height of the pole +20 feet which is copper (I think) in the air, cab to pole is underground I think.

Stuart

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 08:31:54 PM »

I really object to this half hour wait - why the hell should I have to - it has been up 60+ days so one quick re-sync should not make DLM get involved. Strange thing is I am not seeing an obvious problem with surfing the net!
Stuart

Sorry to upset you with my suggestion only pointing out what i see, the reason i use stats is to keep any eye on my fttc connection and if for some reason the stats don't look to good i will try and manually intervene before the DLM does.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 08:36:29 PM »

Sorry to upset you with my suggestion only pointing out what i see, the reason i use stats is to keep any eye on my fttc connection and if for some reason the stats don't look to good i will try and manually intervene before the DLM does.

Not upset with you but with DLM  ;) Anyway I dont see it making my line any worse than it already is.....

Stuart
Pages: [1] 2

anything