Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: LLU Operators need some help !  (Read 2419 times)

Zanoma

LLU Operators need some help !
« on: March 07, 2008, 02:43:54 AM »

hello

I have recently started to look into my exchange to see if i can get a better connection from a LLU operator. The only choice i seem to have are from three isp's which are Talk Talk, AOL, Tiscali, "based on the information on samknows.com"

I use my connection for gaming only, so i guess what i need is a download limit plus a low connection ratio maybe a static ip i am currently with non LLU called multiplay(isp) which are based in Sunderland now i stay in norfolk which is quite a good bit away. Am i best to find a isp company closest to me as there data center will be closer or am i better off going with one of the LLU operators listed above.

cheers Alan.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: LLU Operators need some help !
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 07:51:26 AM »

Hi

When did you last see which LLU operaters were available in your area?   Be/O2 updated their info on the 5th of March - see the adsl checker if your exchange is about to be enabled by them.

If you are a gamer then latency will be important - however you also have to bear in mind line length and a slightly higher latency may be better than frequent disconnects.  If you'd like to post your line stats then we will have a look...  but judging from your last post you connect at 8128 on FAST path? so you should be fine.

If you cant get a decent LLU provider there are still several decent IPStream ISPs good for gaming around that will give you a static IP - Zen, IDNet, Plusnet to name just a few.  Most IPStream have their datacenters in London, aside from Zen who also have some in Manchester. 
With all due respect you would likely be much better off with any of those IPStream ISPs mentioned rather than the LLU ones in your post above :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Zanoma

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 01:40:05 AM »

Cheers on the speedy reply kitz.
You must be a early bird posting at that time.
Yeah idnet seem like there quite good based in london, o2 and be were not on my exchange list :( 

line stats

Noise Margin Upstream 24dB Downstream 6dB

Attenuation   Upstream 38dB Downstream 35dB

Fast Path FEC Correction Near End Indicator 68 Far End Indicator 0

Interleaved Path FEC Correction 0 and 0

Fast Path CRC Error  Near End Indicator 50 Far End Indicator 800

Up Stream 448 Kbps Down Stream 8128 Kbps  " i only get about 382upload and 6mb download sometimes "

thanks for the help

Alan
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 01:49:39 AM by Zanoma »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 02:39:55 AM »

Your stats are good - your connection should be fine.

Latency and speed arent the same thing, if youre into gaming then latency is going to be the more important factor to you, therefore FAST path rather than interleaved. 
I dont normally like recommending specific ISPs, but youre probably best staying away from the LLU isps that are available on your exchange.  Sky is another that wont turn interleaving off and by default the latency is very high.

For eg Im waaay up in the Northwest and a sky connection ping from this exchange is 90ms..  yet my (IPStream) connection generally performs at around 15/16ms to clarity jolts gaming servers.
Dont get confused between where an ISP is located and where their datacenter is.. nor bear too much on actual ISP location.  Theres a bit more to it than that.

>> i only get about 382upload and 6mb download sometimes

Possibly exchange contention at peak time? - thats still very good and more than adequate for gaming.

>> You must be a early bird posting at that time.

lol if only you knew :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker