Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Brutally slow BT connection -- 135kbps  (Read 3872 times)

joybuzzer

• Just arrived
Brutally slow BT connection -- 135kbps
« on: March 02, 2008, 02:11:14 AM »

6 nights ago at 2100 sharp, my bb connection went down. After an hour or so, I got it back, but it was much, much slower.  Since then, my d/l speed consistently tests at 100 to 120kbps.

BT customer service and BT BB customer service spent the next three or four days bouncing my problem back and forth between them.  During that time no one at BT suggested that I try speedchecker.bt.com -- I found out about it myself by googling for solutions.

This is what I got from speedchecker:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  5792 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 99 kbps

And this is what I get from my BT Voyager 2091 router:

Statistics Downstream    Upstream
Line Rate    5792 Kbps    448 Kbps
Noise Margin    15.6 dB    17.0 dB
Line Attenuation    15.5 dB    20.5 dB
Output Power    19.8 dBm    12.3 dBm

Being a novice at this, I have no idea what the numbers were before last Sunday night, and things like attenuation and SNRM are Greek to me.

After I gave BT the info that I'm profiled at 135k, they seemed to take it a little more seriously.  I am now connected via their test socket, and have instruction to call them back after two days if it has not improved.  I'm 30 hours into that two days and as I expected, I'm still throttled at 135k.

What, if anything, can I do?  How long can I expect this to go on -- it's pretty frustrating, obviously.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Brutally slow BT connection -- 135kbps
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 07:32:57 AM »

Hi and welcome.

If the disconnection was a one-off event then your IP profile should automatically rise again very soon now. As you're connected via the test socket your own internal telephone wiring is not an issue, so if the profile doesn't pick up, the problem is definitely in BT's hands. If there's no audible crackling on the telephone then it's BT BB who you have to speak to, but if there is crackling then you should report it as a voice fault to BT telephones (dial 150).
  Eric

joybuzzer

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 10:43:39 AM »

Hi and welcome.

If the disconnection was a one-off event then your IP profile should automatically rise again very soon now. As you're connected via the test socket your own internal telephone wiring is not an issue, so if the profile doesn't pick up, the problem is definitely in BT's hands. If there's no audible crackling on the telephone then it's BT BB who you have to speak to, but if there is crackling then you should report it as a voice fault to BT telephones (dial 150).

Ah.

6 nights ago, when I picked up the phone to report my problem to BT BB, there was alot of crackling.  BT however said there was nothing wrong with the line to my house.  I put in new phones to no avail.  I put in a new microfilter, to no avail.  I plugged the microfilter directly into the normal socket, but no joy.  I don't happen to have a second wireless router to test with... BT eventually sent out an engineer, who went up a pole and disconnected an unused second socket.  The phone now sounds fine to my ears, though my housemate initially thought the engineer's visit did not help. 

It certainly didn't help our BB speed.  After I reported my IP profile, BT BB suggested using the test socket.  Of course, the phone is currently connected to the test socket, so later tonight when my "due diligence" is done, I'll swap back to the normal socket and see how the phone sounds, then proceed from there.

Thanks roseway.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 04:25:27 PM »

It is a very common mistake that people make, expecting speeds to rise immediately after whatever caused their slow speeds has been corrected. It doesn't work like that! :(

BT set an IP Profile - if a problem (such as a crackly line) causes BT to set your IP Profile very low it takes up to 3 or 4 days for BT to set the Profile back up to a sensible speed - providing no more events occur which result in low sync. Until your IP Profile increases you won't get any faster than the current setting on any tests (after correcting a problem you could have a rock solid 8M sync but have a 135K profile and that would be the speed you'd get for some time).

All you can do in the meantime is check your sync speed and check the uptime to make sure you have had no disconnections.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Drefsab

• ISP Rep
  • Zen - Tech Support
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 01:24:03 PM »

It might be worth asking your ISP when the low sync event happened, the BT DLM system records your sync events and sets your BRAS profile from this data, if the latest sync events are fine and over 72 hours old you could be suffering from a stuck BRAS profile. One thing I have seen a lot of is that the DLM system stops recording sync events so the BRAS is never recalculated. If this is the case your ISP can contact BT wholesale and fix this.

If the low sync event was less than 72 hours ago then you will be best waiting to see if the automated system does its job correctly.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 02:44:49 PM by Drefsab »
Aaron Eldridge
ZeN - Technical Support
-------------------------IMPORTANT---------------------
The opinions expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Zen Internet

anything