Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ipad multi-user games?  (Read 4593 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Ipad multi-user games?
« on: August 30, 2015, 08:49:28 AM »

Are there any good multiuser games for the iPad like World of Warcraft (which I've seen screenshots of) ?

Is there any way to access Second Life?

I don't know if the iPad is any use for serious games or not. I've owned one for a long time, ever since the iPad 1, but I've never tried looking into games.

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: Ipad multi-user games?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 02:27:19 PM »

WoW will run on macs, but no chance on an ipad. it doesn't have the grunt for serious games.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 02:33:21 PM »

Is that because of the lack of 3-D graphics hardware? As far as the CPU goes, ARM seems fairly decent architecturally, and there is a 64-bit ARM now in the more recent iPads. There are even multicore ARMs I think.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 02:36:05 PM »

lack of graphics hardware, lack of ram, probably lack of storage (the game takes up 32GB so far) and the game isn't built for ARM, which being a low power cpu likely wouldn't have enough grunt for it anyway.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 03:14:08 PM »

Don't know if a 'Remote Desktop' product could give you access to a PC running Games.
Sure it has been tried but stopped gaming decades ago  .... OD'ed on Games can't get back into it :D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 10:13:14 AM »

Hey, I missed this thread, must have sneaked it in while I was busy.   :)

Whilst I actually write and publish my own games for iOS, I'm not really into the kind of game you are talking about and so don't play them that much.

What I can testify is that the underlying horsepower, of CPU and GPU, in iOS devices, is pretty amazing.  I recently wrote my own OpenGL 3d engine (in Apple's 'Objective C'), with 'photo real' rendering and 3D manipulation of multiple moving pieces in a puzzle game.  I'd never done any serious CG work before and so fully expected that I'd need to go back and spend vast effort optimising the graphics interface, physics and motion handling code to get it too run in the 16mS needed for 60 frames per second rendering.  I even thought I might have to admit defeat and employ one of the commercial games engines.  But no need... my first crude cut of code, full of ugly maths trig functions,  ran easily at full rendering rates.   Now imagine what a team of highly paid graphics gurus, from one of the big studios, might achieve...?   :)

Per actual recommendations, one that a friend who is a good judge of quality  plays a lot is 'Hearthstone'

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/

That's the game website, with links to iOS, Android, and PC platforms.

In answer to a question that may arise, 'No', I have no connection whatsoever with publishers or authors of above game.   :D

anything