Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT or Plusnet fibre  (Read 3058 times)

freelander

• Reg Member
BT or Plusnet fibre
« on: September 06, 2015, 10:08:31 AM »

Our cabinet has just been enabled on a market 1 exchange , would you have plusnet fibre  bt infinity 1, with plusnet adsl at the moment  , have signed for bt but still chance to cancel my order
All comments welcome
Thanks
Chris

Exchange SALTFLEETBY is served by Cabinet 2
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High   Low   High   Low      
FTTC Range A (Clean)   36.4   27.9   7.5   5.5   --   Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)   30   16.4   7.4   3.7   --   Available

ADSL Max   Up to 1.5   --   1 to 2.5   Available
Fixed Rate   2   --   --   Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast   --   --   --   Available

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 10:15:09 AM by Freelanderuk »

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: BT or Plusnet fibre
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 10:52:13 AM »

Which ISP meets your needs best?

freelander

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 11:02:21 AM »

i have been with plusnet that long on a slow speed ,and its only lately that i have started to have problems with my line , i can read as much about each isp been bad on forums but never the good ,was just wondering if anybody here had jumped ship and regretted / or not regretted it
cheers
chris

Terranova667

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 11:52:37 AM »

If you have a issue with the line then it could very well go with you should you join BT so you have to decide do you want to deal with BT support or stay at plusnet and deal with theirs.

freelander

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 11:58:20 AM »

Cheers, I understand this, but who is the better to deal with ,that's the thousand dollar question :)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 12:07:49 PM »

I would avoid BT at all costs if you can. I always found their support dreadful.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 12:08:01 PM »

A lot will depend upon where the 'slow speed' comes from.    It depends if the slowness is a result of a long line, a line fault or capacity.

Plusnet arent as good as they used to be and their ticket delays  can be frustrating, but I think I'd still rather be with PN than BT if it were a genuine fault.

Capacity is an odd one. 
There are without doubt some weird issues right now for some customers.  My own line is one of those that is sometimes affected and I have an open 'fault' which supposedly will remain open until they can get to the bottom of it.. as my line is one of those on which it can be replicated.   A couple of months ago one of their reps (but not one of the community team posters or whatever they call themselves these days) said that they did have sufficient capacity and he is one of those whom I'm inclined to believe as he is not one to spout BS in all the time he's been there.   I also had internal communication from someone else about a month or so whom Im also inclined to believe that they can replicate it and are trying to find the cause as it doesnt appear to be on their side.

Other than that they clam up, my belief for a while is that it may be something to do with the BTw shared MSILs.   If you go with BTretail you wont see this problem because they have their own dedicated MSILs.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

freelander

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 12:27:15 PM »

Thank you both for your replies
As I have posted in the adsl section here  I have a problem at the moment,  and which which is just starting to get some interest on the plusnet forum adsl section there  ( username lenny),

I am not due to transfer over to bt till the 18th ,so will phone plusnet in the morning  and see if they offer any insentive to stay

freelander

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 08:45:04 PM »

I canceled my BT order and opted for a good deal fro Plusnet,  I hope it works out
Thanks for the help and comments

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 12:12:48 AM »

It depends which means more to you.

Financial cost, or reliability of performance.  Former go for plusnet, latter go for BT.
Someone did migrate to aaisp from plusnet who also use the shared BT platform and he said his issues mostly stopped and only has minor ones left.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 12:29:26 AM »

Had a previous BT ISP Broadband & Phone and asked the CS for a OR engineer to attend my premises to see if there was a fault on my line and this was done in 5 working days and no fault found and no fee.

Yet they are not the cheapest ISP around for Broadband & Telephone calls that's what made me jump off the BT ship.

anything