Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wireless Networking Security  (Read 11575 times)

Re: Wireless Networking Security
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 11:43:18 AM »

That's what I'm trying to access, but without success... as explained by my screenshots above.

Why?

Restricting access via MAC is pointless as spoofing a MAC address is trivially simple. If someone gets past the WPA encryption then this isn't going to stop them for more than a few seconds.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 04:30:06 PM »

Floydy - if it's the same as my router, click on "Home Network", then "Interfaces" underneath it.

Then click on "WLAN: <your-SSID-name>"

Then at the bottom of that next page, is there a "Search for Wireless devices" link?

On mine, this link will put the speedtouch into registration mode for 60 seconds or something, during which time you can join a wireless client up to the network. After this point it locks itself again.

As rizla said, though, it's very easy to change the MAC address of a network card to pretend to be a different one (called spoofing), and if someone is intent enough to get past your WPA encryption key, spoofing a MAC address is the easy part.

However unless someone's got a reason for hacking into your particular wireless network, WPA with a long encryption key is enough to deter the casual 'wardriver' from trying to get some free internet access for a few minutes!
Chris

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 05:45:24 PM »

Steve Gibson offers a great facility to generate long and highly random passphrases.

The URL is https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

No brute force dictionary attack will defeat these.   :)
Windows XP
Pages: 1 [2]