Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What are BT up to in EASHI?  (Read 4993 times)

lf2k

What are BT up to in EASHI?
« on: August 26, 2015, 09:36:44 AM »

Bit of an odd thing going on in my village - we've had traffic lights etc for the past 2-3 weeks and it's all FTTC related.

I've attached a quick map, but unfortunately I didn't get a chance to grab the text off roadworks.org last week when they were working near PCP 4 (works are still ongoing but in different locations)...

Last week there was something about moving 500 pairs to PCP 1 - PCP 1 is a new cabinet for EO lines, which is literally just over the road from the exchange.

The lines in question appear to be those for Bradenham - a village about 3-4KM away from the exchange - this is where PCP 2 lives.  The cables pass PCP 4 and PCP 3 on it's way to the exchange.  By all accounts it looks like they're connecting the Bradenham lines to PCP 1.

Roadworks.org says "SHIPDHAM - PCP1 - 315086 - BDUK - Overlay - Lay approx 766m of Duct 54 in CW/FW/Verge to link existing BT Boxes to facilitate spine cabling works"

So my question would be, why on earth are they connecting those lines to PCP 1 which is way to far away for VDSL to work?  Surely PCP 4 would've been a better idea?  Shouldn't they be giving PCP 2 a fibre twin instead?

I'm slightly confused, and very nosey :D so if anyone can explain what they might be up to, I'd love to hear...

WWWombat

• Kitizen
Re: What are BT up to in EASHI?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 02:48:44 AM »

What makes you think Bradenham's lines are being routed there?

And what is the history of PCP 1 to make you say it is new, for EO lines?

I ask, first, because it would be strange for an exchange to start with cabinets 2, 3, 4 and 5. But not have 1.

Second, because the codelook system reports cabinet 1 is mostly used for postcodes in east Shipdham itself. It also reports cabinet 2 as supporting Bradenham, and doesn't report that many EO lines - specifically not in the Bradenham area.

Codelook isn't always accurate, but on EO lines, it usually lags behind reality.

lf2k

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 09:14:48 AM »

I've watched them since about February time, put in the PCP and the fibre cabinet - nothing was there originally.

A good proportion of the village would've been fed from the Exchange - the new cabinet doesn't appear to be live yet.

The work in Bradenham has accompanied work being done near PCP4 and the new cabinets opposite the Exchange - all of the work has been identified with PCP1 and BDUK on roadworks.org.

The roadworks in Bradenham specifically mention PCP1 as per the text I lifted from roadworks.org, which I find odd since the cabinet referenced is several miles away in Shipdham.

I've got to walk past the new cabinets later, so I'll grab a photo...

Is there a way to "daisy chain" a cabinet off another? E.G. make PCP2 a slave of PCP1?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:26:02 AM by lf2k »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 10:20:49 AM »

@ WWWombat

what is the code book and what does it tell you? Presumabky not available to public!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 10:21:53 AM »

Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 06:30:33 PM »

Oh that one! I couldn't see how that could fit in with the OP enquiry. :-\

lf2k

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 06:32:30 PM »

Okikokey...

Here's a picture of the new PCP1 and it's evil fibre twin: https://goo.gl/photos/EBx4FgSYDT6qmvG27

(You can't quite see, but there's a lot of blue and yellow cable left just in front of the new cabinet)

Here's what it used to look like - the last time the Streetview car captured the area in all of its... ahem... natural beauty: https://goo.gl/maps/qKCnm  (you'll notice the lack of any cabinets or manhole covers)

...and finally, here's PCP2 over in Bradenham:  https://goo.gl/photos/WdUnmQQ6c5aQh2Us6  (there's no sign of a fibre twin at the moment - the guys are burying a load of plastic piping about 400 meters up the road from here; it looks very similar to drainpipe/plastic guttering down pipe).

I've deliberately left all of the location stuff attached to the photos, and I don't mind if you all know my real name is Rob... ;)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:45:43 PM by lf2k »

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 07:39:35 PM »

Just guessing here. Has PCP1 been re-located to a new position from elsewhere nearby?

lf2k

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 08:21:45 PM »

Well PCP1 is brand new - so if you go by what CodeLook has to say, I guess they rearranged lines in the Exchange (which is over the road) and fed them through to the new cabinet, certainly the trenches in the road would back that up (they all trace back to the exchange).

CodeLook seems to refer to (for example) PCP2 or Exchange9, so I assume Exchange1 became PCP1?  The majority of lines in the village would probably be EO, and certainly a friends house that's around the corner from the new PCP says that it's connected directly to the exchange when using the BT DSL Checker - that'll no doubt change in time.

Another friend (in Bradenham) still reports being connected to PCP2.

So I guess what I really want to know is will that friend be able to get FTTC from PCP2 (assuming it acquires a new fibre twin), or will they be doomed to poor speeds/unlikely to get connected, owing to the fact their line hangs off of PCP1 - several miles away? 

Is it possible that PCP2 could become a slave to PCP1?  (I've seen the term SCP used, but I don't know whether they can have fibre cabs?)

Have they put some of the exchange "gubbins" (to use the technical term) in the cabinet rather than the exchange?

(Surely this scenario isn't unique to my exchange)

I'm sitting on PCP4 and reasonably happy with my lot, but I tend to play IT support for others so I'm wondering whether the meagre 2Mbps in 'nham is going to improve or whether it's destined to remain poor forever...

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 08:48:36 PM »

I think you may be looking too deep, my friend ??  :)

On our Network Records, the village of Bradenham indeed looks to be fed via PCP2, and this has (or is definitely due) its own Fibre DSLAM Cab.

Cab 1 (the new one) also shows as being brand new, and is like every other new Cab being 'dropped' more-or-less outside the Exchange. It's purely to 'Pick up' the existing E/O lines that would not otherwise have been able to reap the benefits of FTTC.
They basically extend the large E/O cable into the new Cab, and either install another bog-standard Fibre DSLAM Cab next to it, or utilise the much less common 'Combined Cab' that sees the Fibre DSLAM housed in the same Cab as the E/O copper cable.

PCP2 and PCP1 are totally separate entities. Neither are a 'Slave' or SCP to give it its correct terminology.  :)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 09:08:21 PM »

I've watched them since about February time, put in the PCP and the fibre cabinet - nothing was there originally.

That's good enough ... it shows that the PCP is indeed being created.

Codelook usually includes new PCPs quite quickly, but is slow at removing old EO details - there is usually a big overlap. In the case of cab 1, it shows a lot of premises now attached to it, and doesn't show them as overlapping with EO coverage. Going by that would suggest things have been switched for a while ...

A good proportion of the village would've been fed from the Exchange - the new cabinet doesn't appear to be live yet.

Indeed, properties I sampled in the BTW checker don't look to have been switched onto cab 1, let alone gone live with FTTC. This way, things look to be very much in progress.

(No, PCP 1 wouldn't have been created from just EO bundle 1; it probably has taken many more).

The work in Bradenham has accompanied work being done near PCP4 and the new cabinets opposite the Exchange - all of the work has been identified with PCP1 and BDUK on roadworks.org.

You're right that it doesn't make sense for Bradenham to use cab 1. It could be a twitchy finger, and lazy copy/paste when setting up entries for roadworks. Or that *some* of the work is for cab 1, but not all. Odd indeed.

The roadworks in Bradenham specifically mention PCP1 as per the text I lifted from roadworks.org, which I find odd since the cabinet referenced is several miles away in Shipdham.

The quote mentions 766m of ducting, which is a fair amount, but not enough to get all the way to the village.

Is there a way to "daisy chain" a cabinet off another? E.G. make PCP2 a slave of PCP1?
Strictly, that would make PCP2 into an SCP (secondary), probably numbered SCP1/1.

However, there is a fair amount of copper re-arrangement going on now in BDUK projects. In England, we've only seen a little, but NI is encountering the case of extra "all-in-one" PCP+FTTC cabs being deployed further out from the original PCP/FTTC pair, especially to cope with long lines. I imagine the rules of what can be "daisy chained" are being (re-)written through experience.

lf2k

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 09:38:14 PM »

Thanks guys! ;D

Really pleased by what you've said  - particularly pleased by the feedback from BlackSheep owing to the fact I know he's BT OR (or similar). I suspected there was something happening in Bradenham, but all BetterBroadbandNorfolk/BDUK give out is that "BBfN will deliver access to better broadband in Shipdham by the end of September 2015"

@WWWombat: your feedback is most useful as well - I guess I should just wait it out?  Like you I'm a little confused by PCP1 suddenly appearing when PCP2-5 already exist. I doubt any of this is unique to sunny Shipdham - I was slightly confused (it happens, I've crossed the gap and now identify as a "40 something" - my brain isn't what it was!)

I'll sit back and wait, and when it doesn't materialise I'll resurrect this thread... ;)

Thanks once more! :)

Much appreciated,
Rob

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 10:53:30 PM »

I've got a theory as to why the the road works near PCP 2 stated installing ducting for PCP 1. I think this is the route the fibre takes from the head end exchange to PCP 1, as it's not fed from the local exchange that PCP 1 is.

Recently near to us Minster (in Thanet) had cabinets installed, and then some time later there was loads of roadworks installing ducting for Minster PCP1, miles away from the cabinet. These roadworks if you followed them back headed off up behind Manston airport and towards the Broadstairs exchange. Only reason I could think is the fibre for the Minster cabinets actually comes from Broadstairs, and not the Minster exchange, and I think this is the same for you.

Hope that makes sense as I'm rather tired and should be in bed.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

lf2k

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 05:00:59 PM »

Damn you Ronski!  ;D

There I was trying to be patient and just wait and see, but you got me thinking...  Whilst I know what you're saying, I suspect the head-end will be EAWTN (Watton), since that's where the fibre for Cab 4 (and then Cab 3 a week or so later) came from...  I've no reason to think the fibre for PCP 1 will be any different (or for that matter PCP 2 in Bradenham), owing to the ducting work they're doing...

Anyway, not one to be sitting idly by I thought it would be "fun" to scrape magsys and produce some details for Norfolk as a whole.  I noticed indigobanana did something for Cumbria and thought it would be easy enough to try and do something similar for Norfolk (it's not as easy as it looks!)...

http://www.click2map.com/ wants to charge if you have lots of data points, so I just knocked something up in Google Maps.

Behold - a clicky map thing for FTTC cabinets in Norfolk >>>  https://goo.gl/pIMFfs

(I wanted to layer in the various roll-out phases, but that's a bit more fiddly than I originally thought)

Whilst doing this, I noticed there are quite a few holes in the code lookup data, so a lot of this wasn't done in script but ended up being an exercise in frustration thanks to being rusty with Excel...

Hopefully it'll provide something useful, or failing that "pretty", to look at...

Notes:
It appears that when I make this "view only" I lose some of the important detail, so here's a summary:
Enabled - 1032
Future - 155
No plans - 251 (nb: codelookup doesn't have cabinet info for exchanges that aren't getting fibre)

Funding:  BDUK = 693, Commercial = 449
Vendor: Huawei - 621, ECI = 558

(yea, I know the totals don't add up, but that's to do with the patchiness of the data)