Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Avast can slow Internet speeds down..  (Read 3932 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Avast can slow Internet speeds down..
« on: August 25, 2015, 01:02:04 PM »

I recently upgraded to the latest Avast free version (10.3.2225) and noticed that my download speed began to act slower than it usually does. Just over half my download speed vanished.

After experimenting I discovered if I disabled Avast's shields, then started the download again I got my full speed back.

I posted on the Avast forum about this problem and the guy on there sent me a link to an Avast information page about the web shield. Here is the link: https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB203#artTitle

The best option so far I've discovered is turning off the Intelligent Stream Scanning. My speed as jumped back to near normal again. I will be experimenting with the other options suggested to.

It also says on that page that if you run the internet speed scans with avast web shield fully activated, then the speeds shown might be slower than you actually get. Thats the main reason why I'm posting this. So you are aware of this.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Avast can slow Internet speeds down..
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 01:23:19 PM »

Yet another good reason never to go near resident anti-virus programs. I never have and never will.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 03:05:24 PM »

What do you use?

I used to like Avast as it used to be less memory hungry than AVG. But sadly Avast is going the same way too.

I'd definately like a more slim-lined AV. But so far I've not seen one better yet.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 07:37:42 PM »

> What do you use?

Correct security configuration, a basic hardware firewall, plus a server-side email scanner. I use scanner-type anti-virus programs (various) to identify suspect executables.

I have never had a successful attack on any of the dozens of systems that I have been responsible for. Unapproved executables are simply not permitted and are not allowed to run, wherever they come from, from flash drive or as downloads or whatever.

anything