Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: it wasn't me  (Read 2392 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
it wasn't me
« on: October 23, 2008, 12:44:18 PM »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: it wasn't me
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 01:23:03 PM »

Hallelujah

Its survey found that 56% of broadband providers who advertised services as "unlimited" did impose usage caps and were prepared to cut people off if they used their service to excess.

Only two out of the nine actually said what these limits were.

As a result, uSwitch found that 80% of UK broadband customers either wrongly thought that they had an unlimited broadband package or did not know what their limit was.

At long last the actual media are beginning to twig that "unlimited" is a big con.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 03:14:02 PM »

Unfortunately I can't access TD's link, problem with not connecting (been happening on a few sites the last two days)

>> Only two out of the nine actually said what these limits were

So I am going to "assume" one of those two are Virgin Media!
Yes they do cap (throttle back) at certain times of the day and night if we/I abuse the UL or DL limit during those periods, but at least we know when they are.

Providing they don't change the times or limits and don't bother to update the site, then it's not quite as bad as I first thought it would be.

Although I have been informed that it works on a automatic blanket system once a person has been detected as going over the limit, which could well be "unfair" for a non P2P user who quite genuinely needs to transfer large files during these times.

edit
Finally managed to access the original link.

Virgin Media certainly don't appear to have a monthly limit, although if they do then I have never hit it.
However, the following quote I feel is incorrect, as I have had long periods of either very low or no activity whatsoever when the Traffic Management system was first implemented and have still fallen foul of their traffic management for seemingly no reason whatsoever.
Do do not believe that this is only being monitored on heavy users only.
Virgin Media - unlimited but traffic of heavy users is shaped at busy times
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 04:57:22 PM by oldfogy »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 03:55:51 PM »

TalkTalk report that half its customers download less than 1GB,thats probably because their speeds are so slow they are unable to download/watch anyhing decent.What would happen if everyone was able to connect and download at decent speeds?
This is what annoy's me about isp's in this country.The users with fast connection speeds seem to be able to go faster and those with very poor(512kb-1mb)speeds just seem to get left further behind because of how far they live from the exchange ,sorry to move off topic.
I guess I'm not guilty too TD. :)