Broadband Related > ADSL Issues

unlocked hg612 with ADSL2+ - network stability issues

<< < (2/10) > >>

jch:

--- Quote from: konrado5 on August 24, 2015, 11:25:45 AM ---Could you attach Hlog and QLN from DSLStats?

--- End quote ---
Hi, outputs of xdslcmd for the above are attached.
Thanks!

jch:

--- Quote from: AlecR on August 24, 2015, 11:55:33 AM ---Does it just drop out randomly or does it happen at certain times of day?

--- End quote ---
Hi, it seems very random. Sometimes the link can be stable for several hours. At other times, it fails within 15 minutes.

jch:

--- Quote from: jch on August 24, 2015, 12:18:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: AlecR on August 24, 2015, 11:55:33 AM ---Does it just drop out randomly or does it happen at certain times of day?

--- End quote ---
Hi, it seems very random. Sometimes the link can be stable for several hours. At other times, it fails within 15 minutes.

--- End quote ---
A bit more info. Attached is the HG612 debug log. It shows how often the link fails and how long it takes to reestablish if I leave the modem alone.
This morning, the downstream SNR is 10.9db and the link rate is much lower than previously. Yesterday, the SNR was around 3.4, which is much different than the 7db that the Billion syncs at and the link rate was above 16Kbps. Today it's this:

--- Quote ---Max:   Upstream rate = 1084 Kbps, Downstream rate = 19424 Kbps
Bearer:   0, Upstream rate = 1068 Kbps, Downstream rate = 9722 Kbps

--- End quote ---
It'll be interesting to see if the link will now be more stable. I'm surprised at the big dip in data rate though.

jch:
Just a quick update in case others find this thread in the future.

At the lower sync speeds, the network stability issues continued. In desperation, I switched the modem to bridged mode, using an external PPPoE client to connect with the ISP. This was stable! It's been up all evening and overnight with no drops and everyone in the house is happy again.

Perhaps the HG612 can't cope with something in my network when the HG612 does PPP or NAT which results in DSL losing sync. It's hard to know as the syslog doesn't say much, even when configured at debug loglevel.

Weaver:
So these devices are crap routers, but good modems. Fair?

This would only be the same as the DLink DSL-320B according to RevK of Andrews and Arnold's reports from their internal testing, which is why they only sell them locked down into modem-only ('bridged') mode.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version